Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB/Bluetooth on 2011 Titanium X

sionhughes

Hi All,

Bought my first Ford last week, a 2011 Mondeo Titanium X. Was amazed with the spec of the Titanium X compared to other cars of similar size at within the price range I was looking.

I've not had much time to fiddle with the toys yet, but I have come across some funnies which I hope someone can help with:

1. I've paired up my Android phone to the Sony HU and can make/take calls OK on it. However, I can't seem to stream audio to it. Android isn't reporting it as a streamable device and when I go to "Aux" on Convers I only see "Line In" - should the bluetooth option be there but greyed out?
  2. Being that I can't stream bluetooth audio, I though I'd try the USB connection that's in the glove box. Formatted a 16GB USB stick to FAT32 and stuck some audio files on it in a Artist/Album/Tracks hierarchy. The LED on the USB stick flashes when first connected, but then I can't see it on Convers and when I push CD/Aux on the Sony HU it just swaps between CD and Aux. Like above, should the USB option be greyed out even if not available? Is this potentially a USB stick incompatability?

Any help or pointers, much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On my car 16 plate It picked my Samsung S5 via usb cable, But I just did not like the cable showing. So like you just bough a 64 GB USB stick and transferred 20 GB of music to it from my PC. Was no need to format the stick (Scandisk)

Now it just sits plugged into the usb port under the center arm rest. That is also where other flash card goes that hold s my android phone details and contacts. So nicely hidden

from view. Works a treat.

As it' an 11 plate it's likely that the stereo firmware is not the latest - I had this issue with USB to iPhone. If you read this forum, you'll see a post from Caigey linking to another forum where you can download and install the 5.3 software that will enable audio through the USB:

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/40186-no-sound-with-usb-iphone-cable/?fromsearch=1

i hope this helps?

Thanks @Wangarai

I'd stumbled across the link within that forum and tried to update using that method. The head unit doesn't seem to see my USB stick at all. 

After trying the update, I took to attempting to find out what module I had installed by taking the glovebox out after work. From my investigation, I can see that the module I have installed is the 8M5T-19G488-AS which on it states "bluetooth Voice Compatibility" but no mention of USB. However, it does have a micro USB port on it to which the USB port in the glovebox connected to, I've also tested that the USB port delivers power as the LED on USB stick lights up. This makes me think that what's happened here is that someone at some point has either swapped a dead BT module which did have USB on it, for one that just did the job of the phone and voice command. Seems feasible. However, it now looks like I need to buy one of the 8M5T-19C112 series BT modules to get it all working - unless I've completely misunderstood the whole situation?

Your assumption  is correct, the port on 8M5T-19G488-AS is a service port only and does not support USB in ant way but presumably has a power supply, hence the indication, your only option is to change to the 8M5T-19C112-AX but ensure it is later than version M for streaming.

Edit: the 8M5T-19C112 series does state with USB on the label

• 2 years later...

I did this update on my TitX 2011, as it wouldn't recognise USB drive with MP3's on and BT was glitchy at best.

Update worked after trying several USB drives, which weren't recognised. Ended up using a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer formatted as FAT32 and extracted the zip file which was downloaded from the link. 

Now works perfectly. Formatted a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3 Drive as FAT32 using guiformat, (Download here) which allows you to format drives beyond 32GB, (Windows limitation). Copied loads of Albums and individual tracks amounting to around 50GB. It takes the unit a while, but it does catalogue all the Album folders and shows individual tracks within the Album. It may well work with the 128GB version of this drive, a very cheap option to having months of your favourite (everybody else's too) music on tap.

Inserted USB Drive into glove box mounted USB port and selecting AUX on head unit, gives the USB option as well as BT & Line In.

BT now works superbly well with no loss of sound quality even when streaming music from my Android.

SandiskUSB.JPG