Do Not Sell My Personal Information

abs light and esp light

katelyndon

hi everyone, need your ideas. we have a 2007 transit.  the brake pad warning light came on so we put new rear brake pads in, at the same time we put new sensors on the rear brakes (the wire) and both rear abs sensors.  started the van up and we had the brake pad warning light still on but also the abs and esp warning lights too. took it to garage to be checked with machine and after a bit the brake pad warning light has gone off.  the garage had it in all day and checked from back up to the engine with no luck. got it booked in next week for another go finding fault.    any ideas as its costing a fortune in labour charges.  checked all the fuses.  what seems odd is the lights coming on when they didn't before we changed all the wires. we did try putting old wires back on but no difference.  hope it something simple.  any suggestions please

Why did you change the abs sensors?

Can you get the connectors plugged in the wrong way, I.e pad wire in abs connector and vice versa or it idiot proof? Different type of connectors?

no cant go wrong. Different connectors..changed them as thought they might help get first light off. The brake pad wear light

abs wont have any effect on pad warning, the rear pad waring connectors are a nightmare usually to clip back in secure. also the vehicle wiring harness pad connector wiring can go brittle or corrode and break. whos to say the front pad wiring is not also corroded/ broke. have a good inspection of all connectors. they are known issues. even though you say pad warninghas gone out now. i would still check.

as for abs, still same again , check the wiring close up to the connectors , give wires a gentle tug , check the pins in connectors havent bent over to one side,

thanks. Will try checking them again. Garage had it all day yesterday so should have checked them as they say they checked from axle to front

there are good garages and bad garages, did they put diagnostics and get a particular dtc to start with? if so do you know?

Did the garage do a full DTC scan, or just the standard OBD2 DTCs. You need Ford specific equipment to do a full scan, though this is not expensive now, you can get it yourself for most Fords.

Random lights coming on sound like a CAN bus or electronic module problem. A full scan should show this up.

first I took it to the transit centre and they couldn't get nothing up at all. They sent us to another garage that said it was left hand rear censor and diesel filter. Put new diesel filter on and had already put new censors on the rear. The garage checked everything from back axle to the front. Got to take it again next week. It cost £120 just for looking

Sounding more like a wiring or electronics problem than mechanical. Is there a decent auto electrician in your area?

• 2 weeks later...

just bought a second hand abs pump and module. How do I re code it or what do I do when I put it on. Thanks

See SImcor's reply of 20 May in:

Otherwise I don't think I can help, never touched ABS. Try searching this site, though the search engine seems a bit weak!

My issues 

Abs  light on ...   hand break light on .... Enginine management light on.... Speedo not working.....  Trip mileage says - - - - -  ????

Many helps mooch appreciated 

thank you both for replying. Tdci-peter, I did go to site, it may have helped a bit. Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SKYRIDER said:

Abs  light on ...   hand break light on .... Enginine management light on.... Speedo not working.....  Trip mileage says - - - - -  ????

If your model year really is 2016, it should be still under warranty, take it in!

If that was a Mk2 Focus, I would say 80% certain it was a problem with the Instrument Cluster (the pcb behind the dials etc, aka IC), or a wiring or connector problem. I presume there are no real symptoms (engine or other functional problems?).

The IC is a major gateway, linking the vehicle CAN buses, which carry all sorts of information between all the various electronic modules, so CAN bus or IC problems can give a huge range of symptoms. They range from a few warning lights coming on, to complete immobilisation of the vehicle.

If not under warranty, You will need a diagnostic check.

You have some options:

Go to a garage for a diagnostic readout. Free if they know you and are generous(?), up to £100 otherwise.

Find a mate with a scanner: Cost you a pint or equivalent maybe!

Get a generic OBD2 scanner. From about £10.00. I got a U480 off eBay, worked fine. Very easy to use, self contained, but limited capabilities.

Get a powerful Ford specific system. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). Not as simple as the self contained OBD2 scanner.

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool.

For ELM327 see:

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

One of these will pay for itself in no time.

you ill also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

If it is the IC, then I have posted info elsewhere about this.

Whatever the issue is, please post some more information (car type, age, symptoms), or any results. It would be a good idea to start a new Topic, with a new title. This topic is not really the right one. Just quote any part of my reply, then I will see the notification & find it.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

it was a cheap speed sensor I bought off eBay. thought the first may have been faulty so ordered a 2nd.  no luck. so ordered one from ford and took the abs  light off straight away. luckily I sent the 2 back and had a refund

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club