Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost oil leak

RobA

Hi,

I bought a 63 plate 1.0 100hp fiesta last week, today whilst showing my dad the engine, we noticed some oil on what we think is the timing belt cover, its dirty, used oil, so not where its been spilt when filling up.

I was serviced by the dealer before I purchased it so I thought it would have been brought up then??

The problem is that the Peugeot dealer I bought the car from is 2hr 30m away so I'd rather not have to take it back, as its a 63 plate it should still be in warranty, where do I stand with ford as I didn't technically buy it from them?

Should I go straight to ford, or call up the dealer I bought it from and see what they say?

Also, does anyone know where the oil could be leaking from?

Apart from that the car is a blast, lovely to drive and even though its the 100hp its still pretty quick.

Cheers, Rob

It could be just some over splash from the oil bath for the belt, but I'd wait for advice from someone who owns one. But I don't think you should worry unless your noticing puddles of oil.

• Like 1

I have the same car and there is no sign of oil anywhere on my engine so, at a guess, I'd say there is a leak and it needs to go back to where you bought it from and get a courtesy car while they fix it.

• Like 2

ecoboosts dont normally leak oil at all, i would drop i to your local ford dealer and just get so one to have a 2 min look under bonnet to see whats going on, can you take a photo of it and post up on here?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I popped into my local ford dealer today, I knew the workshop wouldn't be in but spoke to the sales guys about it and they'd never seen one with oil there. 

They said to phone the Peugeot dealer I got it from and tell them I'm getting ford to look at it as its still in warranty, and if it's something that isn't a warranty problem then I'd go back to them. 

So I'll get it booked in this week and see what happens.... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Booked it in at ford and they turns out it was the cam position sensor, not sure what was wrong with it but they replaced it and all is fine. 

Spoke to the workshop manager and he said it's very rare to see one fail. 

Hopefully thats the last of any problems. 

The car does drive a better now, not sure if it's placebo effect or if it actually caused a problem. 

• Like 2

thats good to hear its fixed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2016 at 8:39 AM, RobA said:

Booked it in at ford and they turns out it was the cam position sensor, not sure what was wrong with it but they replaced it and all is fine. 

The car does drive a better now, not sure if it's placebo effect or if it actually caused a problem. 

Thank you for posting this. That's exactly how mine is leaking. I have a 2014 1.0L Fiesta here in the U.S. I'm at 64K miles, so no warranty for me.

No doubt every one who owns an ecoboost pops the bonnet to check before they next go out in it lol.  ( including me ) Cheers for the post.

• Confused 1

On 3 July 2016 at 11:25 AM, whirledpeaz said:

Thank you for posting this. That's exactly how mine is leaking. I have a 2014 1.0L Fiesta here in the U.S. I'm at 64K miles, so no warranty for me.

Do you not get 3 year warranty in the US?  

Even in UK, standard warranty limit is 60k miles. US probably the same?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new to the group new to ford. Have a 1.0 ecoboost zetec s whilst googling oil leaks popped across this thread. Seems I too have oil in the same spot. How easy of a fix for ford to repair if you don't mind me asking. 

image.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 6:09 AM, RobA said:

Do you not get 3 year warranty in the US?  

3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper. 5yr 60K mile powertrain. I'm out on both those

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I noticed this thread via google when I searched about oil leaks with 1,0 litre Ecoboost  engines.

I have Fiesta MY2014 with Cold area specs (what are they? :-) ) registered in Finland.

The first picture in this topic was similar to oil leak my Fiesta had. Timing belt cover was full of oil but also top of the engine. Also when I lifted the vehicle up, the starter motor and it's solenoid had oil dropping from them.

The local Ford service first cleaned the engine then changed the valve cover sealing(valve cover ? = the plastic big one, I'm not sure about right English term) sealing because oil was all around the engine (top of the valve cover mostly though). Did not help. Then they replace the ventilation tube (there are two of them, one on top of each cam) from valve cover to intake manifold, this was the rear one, top of the starter motor.

This was because each 100 kilometers of drive below of the tube was oily, fresh oil. The changing of the tube did not help either... Now I'm waiting a reply from the service. I sent some photos.

Strange thing is that the tube is one week old, but also the other end is a little bit oily. In the valve cover, there is a seam in the plastic parts in top of both cams. You see them clearly when you look at them. My seam in the back one seems to got oily from the tube to the timing cover, it's washed in December.

My personal opinion is that the valve cover has a seam which is leaking or the changed tube was wrong (there are several part numbers for the tube with ecoboost 1,0 engine).

20170215_173857.jpg

20170215_173906.jpg

20170215_175652.jpg

20170215_175700.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jolah, i'm 1.0 ecoboost owner from Finland as well and noticed some oil in same spot as in the photos in this discussion/in your case and would be interesting to know what was root cause for the leakage in your ford? 

My ford had coolant leakage which was repaired only couple months ago (some o-ring was replaced under factory warranty, car is year 2014/70000km), looks like the oil leakage could be some known common problem as well...

IMG_20170109_113723347.jpg

On 18.3.2017 at 11:24 PM, Hode said:

Hi Jolah, i'm 1.0 ecoboost owner from Finland as well and noticed some oil in same spot as in the photos in this discussion/in your case and would be interesting to know what was root cause for the leakage in your ford? 

My ford had coolant leakage which was repaired only couple months ago (some o-ring was replaced under factory warranty, car is year 2014/70000km), looks like the oil leakage could be some known common problem as well...

IMG_20170109_113723347.jpg

Mine had the cam pos. sensor (intake manifold side) replaced and again some cleaning few weeks ago, just like a in the first posts. Did not help. It's going back under for more research, this time the valve cover is atleast replaced and some checking on the timing belt and the engine cover itself. I'll get back when it's done.

• Like 1

Thanks for update, looking forward to hear if the cover replacement fixes the leak. I have not contacted dealer/service yet will do that soon. 

Well today it's done and I have new valve cover. No leaking yet but just 100 km driven. Next week we are more wise I drive about 500km/week. Dealer said that they noti ced that it was broken.

That O ring swelling next to water pump is more common and more expensive to repair... for the new valve cover new cover, gasket and few bolts are needed. Here is a picture for the cover spare part number if some one needs it (CM5G6K271CL). My old had CM5G6K271CJ.

20170328_165627.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still no leaks so the valve cover had a minor leak from the seam. Nice and dry.

• Like 1

Thanks for update. I took my ecoboost to dealer couple weeks ago, the cover was cleaned/washed but I did not get good explanation where from the oil/liquid had ended up onto the valve cover, will follow up and go back to dealer as soon as the cover is wet again...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is some signs of oil coming through the valve cover now, roughly one month after the dealer cleaned the cover; first photo was taken soon after the cleaning and second today

IMG_20170412_173927165.jpg

IMG_20170521_163801239.jpg

• 9 months later...

Just found this thread. I'm also a Fiesta owner from Finland, 125 bhp 2014 model. Do you still have your cars Jani and Jouni ? Have you had any other trouble with the engine? Mine has been good for now, but since I'm out of warranty and kind of suspicious about new Ecoboosts I wouldn't mind knowing about all possible problems those might have :) How much are your cars driven now?

• 3 months later...

Hi, yes I still have the ford, 1.0 ecoboost engine but model is tourneo connect, 2014 / 99000km, valve cover was replaced due to the small oil leakage has been good and dry  since then, before that issue some other part was replaced due to coolant loss/leakage, luckily dealer took care of those without any cost for me (there was one year limited warranty granted when I bought the car couple years ago). My engine is 100hp version have been considering to buy www.racechip.com +20hp /139eur but I'm bit suspicious how is quality of the electronic components of the system and how engine might behave in case of component failure of the racechip i.e. could it cause too high turbo pressure etc, maybe better to forget the racechip, tourneo is not any race car no matter what kind of chip tuning you would do...

• 8 months later...
On 6/12/2016 at 2:39 PM, RobA said:

Mine has the same problem but it's a focus. Was it expensive and has the problem gone now

Edited by John emerson
Car model

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club