Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine problem

GazP

Quote Added, made this post redundant.

On 08/06/2016 at 1:00 PM, GazP said:

we should get the car back on Friday. Fingers crossed this cures the problem!!!

Please keep us informed of any progress / results. It may be of use to others. Hope it is good news!

Peter.

We collected the car today, faced with a drive home in rush hour traffic, so some apprehension! Was assured the replacement PCM and programming had fixed the fault, so started the car and it ran great. After a stop-start drive home we checked the car running on the drive and was still ok. Will probably take some time to get confidence back while driving it after all the problems of the last 3 weeks but at least it's looking good...touch wood!

When the dealer came to collect the car for repair it was running sick as a dog and by all accounts they had "fun" getting it back to the garage; they drove it rather than having it recovered. At least they know we weren't making it up, as it apparently didn't do that before!

To summarise, if anyone gets these codes and changes just the PCM, it could blow the new unit, as you also need to change the throttle body, due to that going bad in the first place. Of course others may have similar symptoms, but you will need to check these 2 parts out because they're not cheap!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for that feedback. I really hope all will be ok now. Sounds like they did a good job despite my earlier doubts. I have a bit of an allergy to garages!

Still worth looking into Forscanski, you never know when it might come in handy.

Peter.

• Like 1

Wife's been running the car for a week now, and although we haven't opened it up yet (just the commuter run) it is running sweet. Seems to have cured the problem; for that price it ought to have!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on this; we noticed a problem with the fuel gauge not tallying with the miles driven. After a 500 mile journey the figures started to balance up. Looks like the new ecu had to learn petrol figures, as we were only using the car for short journeys prior to the 500 miler. It now looks like it has recalibrated itself! Is this normal after fitting a new ecu?

42 minutes ago, GazP said:

Update on this; we noticed a problem with the fuel gauge not tallying with the miles driven. After a 500 mile journey the figures started to balance up. Looks like the new ecu had to learn petrol figures, as we were only using the car for short journeys prior to the 500 miler. It now looks like it has recalibrated itself! Is this normal after fitting a new ecu?

Thought that was normal once the battery had been disconnected also, takes a little while for it to learn the figures and adapt to your driving.

5 hours ago, GazP said:

Looks like the new ecu had to learn petrol figures

Heaven alone knows how it calculates (aka guesses) the consumption. I do not really trust any of those in car mpg figures!

I am fairly sure there is no fuel flow measurement in the system. It either has to work from the fuel tank level sensor, which is crude, wobbly and non-linear. Or it can use the injector pulse timings, the fuel pressure and an estimate of the injector timing and orifice size(s) to work out the fuel delivered per stroke. Same applies to petrol injection or diesel.

So that would make sense, it will need at least one tankful to be able to get a decent estimate of the injector calibration.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

it can use the injector pulse timings, the fuel pressure and an estimate of the injector timing and orifice size(s) to work out the fuel delivered per stroke

I'm sure it uses this latter method. If the injectors have been calibrated to the vehicle it will know to a reasonable degree of accuracy the rate of fuel flow through each injector, so using the timings it can get a good estimate of the fuel delivered. It probably also factors in the fuel temperature since that affects its density. As I posted in another thread I recently carried out a brim-to-brim test on my 1.0 Ecoboost over 300-odd miles and got a result of 44.98 mpg. The ECU is currently reporting 44.8 mpg so it looks as if the technology can be surprisingly accurate.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5.06.2016 at 7:54 PM, GazP said:

Hi GazP. I have a request. Could you please let me know if you solved the problem of your car with the error P0607, P2110. I have the same problems and nobady can help me. Is the change of the engine's computer PCM helped. I will be very grateful for your response.

41 minutes ago, cmat said:

GazP. I have a request. Could you please let me know if you solved the problem of your car with the error P0607, P2110. I have the same problems

Hi,

GazP replaced the pcm on June 10, & posted a last reply in this thread on Aug 26, so I think it is fair to assume that replacing both the throttle body and the pcm (in that order) fixed it for him.

Do you have the same engine type?

The ecu testing place listed in my reply in June may be worth contacting, they claim to be able to fix it, though I have no experience of dealing with them. There are various other useful posts about poor connectors and diagnostic systems in this thread. Have a good read through. Please post here if you have questions or any information, or start a new thread if you wish.

Peter.

Quick link to June reply

• 5 months later...

Apologies for not answering sooner.

Yes, the work that was done cured the problem, and the car has run right as rain ever since! Expensive, but saved us getting rid of the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club