Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 tdci engine noise ??

Cameron

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, apologies if i have posted in the wrong section.

I am looking to buy 13/14 plate Ford focus 1.6 TDCi, what are the common problems to look out for?

Would i be right that the 1.6 Diesel engines are planted in the Peugeot, Citroen, Mazda, Volvo, Mini  as well as ford. I have been told that the 1.6 Units are actually peugeot engines.

1.6 HDI, 1.6D, 1.6TDCI, 

I also currently own a 2011 Volvo S40 1.6D - believe to have the exact same engine as the ford focus 1.6 TDCI but its making an engine noise. For the love of God, i don't know if its coming from the topend or bottom end.... can't seem to work out what causing the noise. I have posted my video on youtube, would massively appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. I did have an engine management light which i have had code read and its had flagged up as EGR valve sticking, it was stuck open and you could really smell the fumes. Have replaced the EGR valve with a new genuine Valeo unit, the engine managment light has gone off but the fumes smell is still there and so is the engine noise. When revving the car, it sort of makes a tractor sort of sound.

Thanks

Cameron

Yours is the older 1.6, the 2013 focuses and above have a revised 1.6 that's cured a lot of the issues around oil feed and the turbo

That noise sounds like the cam belt or auxiliary belt is slapping. it definitely got louder and sharper when the camera was at the left end. Get a long tube and listen down it. Use the tube like a stethoscope to home in on exactly where the noise is coming from (careful with the ends near the belt). Doesn't sound good though and I would fix sooner rather than later or you may be getting the new focus a bit quicker than planned

Good luck

S

Thanks for your reply

Does it definitely sound like a top end problem and NOT a bottom end

what is the likely cause of the problem, any common problems on these engines which could cause this noise?

Can it be that a faulty cam-chain is making that noise?

Thanks

Cameron

Sounds like a top end tap, possibly lifter to me from that video but videos can be deceiving.  Does it get faster/louder when the rev the engine?

It does get louder, when you rev the engine .... when revving the engine it makes a tractor sort of sound

It sounds like its once per cam revolution rather than per valve/piston. Hence a belt, maybe a tensioner has gone

Hmm, still sounds like a lifter to me, both of the below were lifter faults.

• Like 1

Also, what colour is your coolant!?  Looks black in the video!

• Like 1

Thank You guys for your replies.

The coolant is blue/green 

I have used a long screw driver as a stethoscope and the noise is coming from around this area

I have posted the pictures ( i have positioned the screwdriver where the noise seems to be coming from)

Any ideas of what could be the problem

Thanks

Cameron

1.6D Noise 1.JPG

1.6D Noise 2.JPG

1.6D Noise 3.JPG

I believe its the cam belt under there

The cam belt is just to the left of there and down a bit but then theres a whole bunch of stuff under that rocker cover not to mention that sound travels, to get the cam cover off you will need to jack up the engine to support it and remove the top engine mount, I would have thought that if the cam belt was that messed up thought that there would be worse problems other than the noise?  

Pretty sure our coolant is supposed to be red, if its been mixed with green you might have some problems, corrosion being one of them, if it was properly flushed out then its probably ok but the car was designed to run on red coolant and fully flushing it out is harder than it seems, its got different chemicals and additives in it and mixing the two different coolants can apparently have some bad side effects.

Update:

I've been told that the noise is coming from the camchain and that the tensioner has failed and as a result slackened the camchain......

Apparently its a common problem on the 1.6tdci  Diesel units and that a modified improved version of the camchain kit has been released.... is that something that you guys are aware off, have spoken to dealers and they have said we aren't aware of the modified version ?? (confused)

Well I stand corrected then lol.

I wasn't aware of it being a common fault or a modified chain being available though.

chain tensioners do pack up ocassionaly, not that common though, not aware of modified chain/tensioner. may have done so but not said as much.

ive seen rattly chain on focus that driver didn't want to spend money on fixing, went at least another 50k before part ex in for another vehicle.

not says yours will though.

Just had a listen to the video clip and doesn't sound rattlely enough to be chain. I maybe wrong.

update:

Just had an update today from my mechanic and he has mentioned upon further investigation that its not the top end (cam chain issue), its 100% from the bottom end and that you are better off having the whole engine replaced. 

Does anyone know if a Ford 1.6TDCi engine would be a direct fit for a 2011 Volvo S40 1.6D DRIVe ? Struggling to get hold of a complete engine.

Thanks

Not sure I trust this mechanic tbh...

Really doesn't sound heavy enough to be bottom end.

The engines changed through the years in the Focus', I'm not sure if Volvo changed anything independently or not though.

Like i said , didnt sound like chain. Had a 1.6tdci sound like that and ended up being injector faulty. Your mechanic needs to be certian its the engine.

I did remove the electrical connector on each injector one by one and the engine started to shudder which suggest that the injectors are working.

Its proving to become difficult to get hold of the correct volvo engine.

I spoke to one of the volvo breakers and they had said that we had some customers who had managed to put in a ford focus 1.6tdci engine into a volvo S40 but the electrical connectors were different on the engine, so not sure how they had managed to get across the electrical side of things.

I would say that the electrical loom from the volvo can be swapped onto the ford engine but how do you go about the electrical connectors on the engine itself, coz they are different??

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Bit late now but you shouldn't really unplug injectors on modern diesels as they act as a ballast or something - I'm not great with electrics but it's what I've been told from a reliable source lol.

Do you know if the Focus and S40 main engine plug is the same?  If so just get the Focus loom with the engine and swap them over.  If the main engine loom plug is different as well as sensor plugs then I'd probably swap the sensors over from your current engine - assuming they're all fairly accessible.

is changing the engine the right thing to do though? I'm not sure I would take the advice of the first person I spoke to.  Is this the guy who said that the cam belt is a chain kit on this engine? 

Honestly if it was mine I'd run an engine flush through it first, fixed that awful tap on the Rallye with just a flush and fresh oil...  Cheap to do and if it can't really make it any worse lol.

• Like 1

yeah, i think its all too easy to jump to the worst possible problem and forget the minor stuff, I'm guilty of it myself, gearing myself up to replace the HP fuel rail / pump when all it needed was a new filter, I just assumed that as it had only done a few K it should be fine.

Be a real shame for you to go to all that expense to find that something much cheaper is needing done, like the lifters...

• 2 weeks later...

OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

i have a 2008 1.6tdci and it is making EXACTLY the same noise!

mechanic discovered Injector 1 had gone, replaced it.. tapping still there.

now wants to do a full flush.. failing that, a new engine! Thinking i should point him at the camchain/tensioner?

• 3 weeks later...

update!!

In the end i have put in a new replacement engine. 

For those that aren't aware, i can confirm that a Ford 1.6 TDCi engine will go into a Volvo 1.6D

Please can the modz make this post a sticky, at least many great members on this forum would be aware that they do not need to find an engine from the same vehicle for it to be compatible with their car.

Ford engine drops straight into a Volvo car, you just need to change, just a few  ancillaries over.

Cameron