Do Not Sell My Personal Information

which petrol auto for £3k ?

missionary

Hello.

Well Honest John rates the petrol automatic when buying a high miler. Though I only seem to be able to see the 2 litre on sale. Its the TC auto I seek as they are usually long-lived - but I only have £3k to spend.

I need to get a reliable daily driver for local and country lane driving, but missus can only use an auto. I am also hoping a petrol motor will avoid all diesel complications when buying a 90k mile plus diesel. A high mileage petrol should be a better bet shouldn't it ?

I am an experienced diesel and hydraulics engineer so know what to look at in the oily bits department, its the model and reliability that I need help on. All contributions gratefully received - thanks

m

Have a look at

Mine has done well over 150k, so have lots of others. I would recommend the 1.8 over the 1.6 though, 1.6TDCI needs frequent oil changes (6k) to keep it going.

Just might be harder to find the auto version.

Mine had 120k on the clock when I bought it in 2011.

Thanks. Although very much a diesel man myself, when buying a high miler I really don't want to get into all the problems with DPF, EGR valve, blown turbo, piezo injectors etc. Nor can I afford such expense. I would rather pay more for the lower MPG of a petrol yet have peace of mind of a much less complicated engine.

The auto box is a big enough worry - even with a warranty !

All suggestions are welcome, thanks.

m

I understand your point, the cost of diesel bits (turbo, pump, injectors) is scary. But petrol cars are much more complex than they used to be. Just dealt with a very expensive throttle body (& blown PCM) problem for someone. And the higher revs mean they may not last so many miles (4100rpm max torque for the Focus 1.6 VCT, 1900rpm max torque for 1.8TDCI).

Give me a diesel any day. (And this is my 1st diesel after getting on for 40 years of petrol). BTW, 1.8TDCI mk2 does not have DPF).

So it is luck of the draw either way. I hope you get a good one!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club