Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking on buying a second hand Fiesta Zetec S

corsic-ar07

Hi, I’m 21 and seriously considering trading in my 2004 Vauxhall Corsa SXi (1.2) for a second hand MK7 Fiesta Zetec-S, but there’s one main thing holding me back – the price!

Back in June I was looking to upgrade my car for a sportier car with a bigger engine and was initially considering a second hand Audi TT but then felt that a more modern MK6 Fiesta Zetec S or ST would be a better and more economical option. I had been around the local Ford garages in search of one when I saw a 2008 Fiesta in black with body kit and 17” alloys. Instantly I thought it looked smart and much better than the MK6 and felt that if I had bought one of the older models, I would have been really disappointed, wishing I’d got the MK7. I priced them up but as they were still brand new, £17,000 was too expensive and way out of my budget. It didn’t stop me wanting one though, so I have spent the last 4 months searching the Internet for second hand models (of which there are already a few!), trying to make it more affordable! It obviously means stretching my budget but I have come across some as low as £10,500, but most are about £13,000. It is still a lot of money to spend on a car and therefore a big decision and one I have been debating over and over – I don’t want to regret spending so much money on something that turns out not to be as good as I’d hoped.

I’m hoping to gain other people’s opinions in order to help make up my mind. What are they like to drive – i.e. what is the acceleration and power like in the 1.6 engine? I noticed that the back windows are quite small and I’m wondering if the view is restricted at all or do you get used to it? I think the interior looks really modern and spacious compared to similar cars but perhaps the back may be claustrophobic for rear passengers? Are they really great cars worth buying or would it be better to wait until the price of second hand models drops to about £8,000? Does anyone have any advice for me – anything I should look out for? Hope you can help, I’m driving everyone mad by going on and on about them!

Hello mate, The one thing i will say is get it!! its an amasing car I previously had a mg zr about a week ago i was in the same tough making decision as you, i was thinking for weeks and weeks because i loved the car ever since it came out. I also was searching around for the best deal, the cheapest i seen it for was 11,000 but like you you said they are mainly 13,000, personally the 10,500 that you seen seems really cheap how many miles has it done? I finally made the decision and got a Ford Fiesta mrk7 Zectec S 1.6, Baby blue( sports blue ) with street pack with 17 inch alloys, it looks so much more sporty with the street pack i paid 8,000 with part exchange of my mg zr for 3,000 (total price of car 11,000).

The fiesta zetec s is on my drive right now and i have no regrets, the car looks stunning looks like its moving when it actually isnt :):) soo sleek. It handles really well grips the road like glue with its lowered sports suspension(as standard) interior looks great to, well modern! The 1.6 engine is really nippy very powerfull infact its faster than the mrk 6 zetec s due to it being lighter 0-60 in 9.9 seconds. yes the back windows are small but this makes the car look sleek and you do get used to it after a while i.e parking etc........

I hope this helped:) Good luck, keep me updated of what you going to do...... Chris

Hi, thanks for your reply! I recently took a 58-plate Black Fiesta Zetec S (12k miles on the clock) for a short test drive, unfortunately mostly in the city and on unfamiliar roads so didn't really get to test it properly, but it was about 100 miles away so haven't been back since (yes that's how serious I was... I drove that far just to test drive one within my price range!). There are a couple more locally but they are way to expensive and not up to the same spec or colour I would prefer, but I'm tempted to take one for a test drive to get a feel for the car on more familiar roads to what I'm used to. I've got my eye on a couple on Autotrader, but again, they are 100 miles away so its a bit difficult to go and view them. I'm so tempted just to take the plunge and buy it but like I said, it's a lot of money to spend!

I agree mate it is a lot of money thats what i thought but it is a beautiful car, get it while you can you could be gone tomorrow, thats the way i looked at it! ''live life once, get the things you want otherwise you want get them''. Yeah make sure you get the zetec s 1.6 with side skirts, privacy glass and the gorgeous 17 inch spanner spoke alloys :D thats the only modle design i like. I did try and look for the full leather seats but that was really hard to find :( might go in the ford dealers and ask if they would do it for me at a cost of course.

Also the insurance is really cheap cost the same as my mg zr and that was 5 years old with a 1.4 engine. Yeah the black 1`s are nice looks really smart, i like all the colours except silver( to many silver cars out there, sorry to the silver fiesta owners).......

I'm beginning to doubt their reliability after a number of posts suggesting there are various rattles and noises coming from them! Hopefully these are just minor things, because I still really really want one, but can't find any reasonably-priced second hand MK7s within 30 miles to be able to go and view!

to be fair every car has some kind of noise or rattle.... NO car is perfect with out no rattle at all, its down to vibrations from the road and car!! keep looking.. shes out there somewhere:):)

Iv just bought a fiesta in sea grey (mk7) coming December, ordered the leather seats too, I took one for a test drive at my local dealer and it is a great car to drive and really nippy! I sugesst your get one, the insurance cost for me is £2100 for the year but thats coz im 19 and live in a highrisk insurance area.

not really knowing the new price of a zetec-s , but £10,000 to £13,000 seems a lot for second hand ? when you can pay that price for a brand new zetec model

the insurance cost for me is £2100 for the year ....

ooocha, that's expensive!!! I priced the insurance up for me and its about £500. When I first passed my test and was insured on my dads '98 T-reg Mazda 323f Shiraz, (1.3) it was about £1,400 which was brought down to £1,000 because I had 1 year's no-claims bonus from riding a scooter/moped! That is a great car to be able to afford at your age, even if you do have to pay it off over a number of years!

I like the sound of your car, but they are hard to find in Sea Grey with Leather second hand locally. I have settled on trying to find a reasonably priced, low mileaged, 58-plate black Zetec S with cloth seats as it would probably be more affordable. Is yours a second hand model or are you buying it brand new? Bet you can't wait until you pick it up... hope you enjoy it when the time comes!

not really knowing the new price of a zetec-s , but £10,000 to £13,000 seems a lot for second hand ? when you can pay that price for a brand new zetec model

It is really a lot of money to spend on a car, however I have seen 58-plate MK7s in local garages for something like £14,000 and they do not even have the 17" alloys or leather seats etc. I suppose if they do cost almost £17,000 brand new then £11,000 for one that is a year old doesn't sound too bad. It is only the Zetec-S I am really interested in as I think it looks really smart, I do however like the chrome that is on the standard 1.4 Zetec and Titanium, however feel the 1.6 engine is a bit more appealing and makes better spending the money on.

I've been trying to persuade my dad to come with me for a test drive in one that I've seen on Autotrader about 100 miles away but because we both work different shifts, its highly impractical, but buying a car without seeing it isn't wise either!

You can get a brand new (59) pre reg ,new zetec s 3 door for around £12,200,as long as you dont mind being classed as the second owner.

dave

You can get a brand new (59) pre reg ,new zetec s 3 door for around £12,200,as long as you dont mind being classed as the second owner.

dave

Sounds attractive, and it will still mean that I don't have to wait for the manufacturing and delivery of the car which will probably take ages by the sounds of it. Don't mind being the second owner because the car is really only registered to the garage so technically I would be the first 'owner' as such. It wasn't something I'd considered before, especially as I would have thought it would be more expensive than that!

how the hell can u get a brand new zetec s for 12 grand? ive heard nothink of it. They are on the ford website for 16grand.... plz explain!

how the hell can u get a brand new zetec s for 12 grand? ive heard nothink of it. They are on the ford website for 16grand.... plz explain!

I have just done a quick search on Autotrader under 'new cars'.

thing is i dont think you getthe optional street pack with 17inch alloys and privacy glass, not to sure though due to theres no pictures on there.....

Also you is it sooo cheap ? because why would any1 get them from the dealer`s second hand, if its the same price to get it a brand new one.... hmmm doesnt make any sence...

Also you is it sooo cheap ? because why would any1 get them from the dealer`s second hand, if its the same price to get it a brand new one.... hmmm doesnt make any sence...

I know what you mean, especially as it is considerably cheaper than other brand new ones. I think it would probably be better just to get a really good second hand one with the extras that has been run in and what that has already depreciated because it is a brand new car. I have a personalised number plate so I guess having a 59-plate doesn't really matter to me, all I am really concerned about is the price, mileage and getting one that looks really smart!

hmmmm true. i got mine for 11 grand with street pack( 17inch alloys and privacy glass... looks so much betta looks more sporty and more expensive, it had 10,000 miles on the clock which is about average for a 10 month old car:) for some reason that auto trader thing with the brand new car zetec s for 12,500 pound seems a bit dodgy to me dunno why....!! my advice stick with a good second hand car like you said its still gonna be new they havnt been out for long and also its been run in plus i still have a 2year 2 month warranty on it......plus the fact that u can find 1 for about 10,500 pound

To be fair you can buy a NEW Zetec S from around £12765 (When bought using Ford Finance with the £450 Deposit Allowance) Plus if you did finance the car then alot of the time even if new ones are more expensive the monthly payments are lower due to the APR.

Obviously sometimes a used one may be really cheap because its been in stock too long or if it has a high spec.

For example we have used Zetec S Fiestas cheaper than new ones but work out more on finance. Yet we had a Zetec S fully loaded with Individual Pack and sold that for same price as a standard one so the new price could get nowhere near.

To be fair you can buy a NEW Zetec S from around £12765 (When bought using Ford Finance with the £450 Deposit Allowance) Plus if you did finance the car then alot of the time even if new ones are more expensive the monthly payments are lower due to the APR.

Obviously sometimes a used one may be really cheap because its been in stock too long or if it has a high spec.

For example we have used Zetec S Fiestas cheaper than new ones but work out more on finance. Yet we had a Zetec S fully loaded with Individual Pack and sold that for same price as a standard one so the new price could get nowhere near.

yeah i agree , i saved £3000 on my zetec model which had a rrp of £14000 in june ,i payed in total £9000 because i also traded in a car what they valued at £2000 so thats £5000 less. so you could get a nice £3000 off a new zetec s and pay around £12k? , mind you i did pay in full and not finance ,not sure how it works with discount on finance options.

yeah i agree , i saved £3000 on my zetec model which had a rrp of £14000 in june ,i payed in total £9000 because i also traded in a car what they valued at £2000 so thats £5000 less. so you could get a nice £3000 off a new zetec s and pay around £12k? , mind you i did pay in full and not finance ,not sure how it works with discount on finance options.

They have only just introduced the Deposit allowance on Fiestas of £450 on all cars excluding Studio

QUOTE (calmcdermott @ Nov 10 2009, 03:50 PM)

the insurance cost for me is £2100 for the year ....

ooocha, that's expensive!!! I priced the insurance up for me and its about £500. When I first passed my test and was insured on my dads '98 T-reg Mazda 323f Shiraz, (1.3) it was about £1,400 which was brought down to £1,000 because I had 1 year's no-claims bonus from riding a scooter/moped! That is a great car to be able to afford at your age, even if you do have to pay it off over a number of years!

I like the sound of your car, but they are hard to find in Sea Grey with Leather second hand locally. I have settled on trying to find a reasonably priced, low mileaged, 58-plate black Zetec S with cloth seats as it would probably be more affordable. Is yours a second hand model or are you buying it brand new? Bet you can't wait until you pick it up... hope you enjoy it when the time comes!

I know the insurance for me is a fortune and iv bin drivin 2 years with a licence for 2 years with no convictions or claims (so far)!!

In regards to my car though Iv bought brand new, fed up of having 2nd hand cars with something always wrong with them and nope cant wait till i pick it up, gotta wait till December and will enjoy it especially as im payin £310 per month and £175 a month insurance!!!

If you want a Zetec S you can get one in sea grey with less than 2000 miles on the clock for 12,000 Pounds at motorpoint I think they even have leather. Check it out on the web there are a couple to choose from.

Based on my deal last week, and a couple of others I have spoken with, when taking Fords finance and with a fair bit of haggling, about a 21 - 22% discount from list OTR prices can be had at the moment on the new Fiestas.

That makes the Zetec about £10100, the Titanium about £11200 and the Zetec S about £11800. These have been achieved there or thereabouts on the Zetec and Titanium, not sure on the Zetec S. All brand new and from local dealers.

Second hand appears in a lot of cases more expensive right now.

Oh, and your dealer may not be happy or over friendly with you doing these deals :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club