Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight gearbox/driveshafts oil leak.

MaxDee

Hi,
have noticed a slight gearbox oil leak from the driveshafts. It's not dripping but noticeable. Is this normal as I never notice this on my other Fords that I owned.

Also, anyone knows where the gearbox oil filler is as could not see it anywhere?

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

is it dripping oil or just damp around the seal? 

"Very light oil mist at the outer diameter of the seal housing is remaining oil from the transmission test inspection. This amount of oil will NOT increase with milage, is normal. Using a clean cloth wipe away the oil mist and do NOT renew the halfshaft seal. "

17 hours ago, iantt said:

is it dripping oil or just damp around the seal? 

"Very light oil mist at the outer diameter of the seal housing is remaining oil from the transmission test inspection. This amount of oil will NOT increase with milage, is normal. Using a clean cloth wipe away the oil mist and do NOT renew the halfshaft seal. "

Hi Ian, it is not dripping and it's damp around the outer diameter of the seal. It is wet around the area which i wiped and will check again in a week or two. Shouldn't this oil have dried out after 3 years and 32K miles?

That's a point!!

Do you know if theses cars have gearbox oil filler or do you have to pull the shaft out to fill. I could not see one but maybe i just not look at the right places.

think yours is the b6 box, so there should be a level plug, if you find it, dont expect to find the oil level at the plug, theres a procedure for filling and checking level.

• Like 1

On 13 June 2016 at 4:02 PM, MaxDee said:

Hi,
have noticed a slight gearbox oil leak from the driveshafts. It's not dripping but noticeable. Is this normal as I never notice this on my other Fords that I owned.

Also, anyone knows where the gearbox oil filler is as could not see it anywhere?

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

Had mine replaced after getting an advisory on last years MOT, I've got a mk2 facelift focus and mine weren't actually dripping either.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Hi just a quick question. I replaced my gearbox driveshaft on my fiesta mk7  1.4tdci 2008 but I think I pushed it in too far, is it possible to do this? It started to leak again. So I’ve took it out and I’m going to put another one in tomorrow. Do I keep it flush with the gearbox housing or tap it in as far as it goes?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club