Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still got problems with hesitation 05 (1.6 Ti)

ChrisM41

This car is driving me nuts really. For the 3 months ive had it it has suffered hesitation at low speed when crawling through slow traffic, making for an unpleasant drive. I also have very negative fuel trims at idle (-20%), but OK at other speeds.

As I mentioned previously in another thread ive changed the coil, leads and plugs, tested the MAF, throttle body, CTS, compression and the garage has checked the timing, cam timing variators, and replaced a lambda. Ive also updated the PCM. All this has done (the lambda replacement) is clear the P1000 drive cycle code that wouldnt clear.

Im not sure whats left to check. Could it be the fuel pump?

it could be a lot of things depends how much money you want to spend yes could be the pump or fuel filter clogging up which is only replaceable by changing the pump an ecu diode gone a wiring fault one of the two cats starting to go

• 3 weeks later...

This is driving me nuts. The garage have had it in twice for a total of 3 weeks and its still not fixed. They replaced one lambda that was 'lazy', and it did at least allow the P1000 error code to clear (the readiness tests), which wouldn't clear before however much I drove it, but the car still stutters at low speed and light throttle. Sometimes only a little, sometimes really badly. It doesn't do it at speed or even under load from low speed, its only when trickling through traffic slowly, on/off the throttle. A wiring fault would be more consistent and at any speed, even if it was random.

The only pattern seems to be that if its used in slow traffic a lot the trims get ever more negative and it gets more stuttery. If I take it on a long run at higher speed the trims improve and the stuttering gets less for a while.

They have checked pretty much everything, I have checked pretty much everything, and neither of us can find anything wrong. Even live data on a run tells us nothing at all. The only issue is negative fuel trims that seem to have no cause. There are no air leaks, one pre-cat lambda is new but still reports a negative trim, the injectors have been ultrasonically cleaned, the oil is correct, all sensors work and the VCT system is functioning fine. I even replaced the throttle pedal just in case it had a bad spot in its travel.

I just dont get it, and dont know if the trims are a symptom or a cause.

Get rid of it cos you aint gonna trust it anymore unless you can find the actual fault and fix it but how much more money do you wanna throw at it

Its not that simple. The car has a warranty, but the garage cannot find the problem, and its so intermittent that its only done it once while they had it.

The car is usable, but its really annoying. Im wondering now if its a wiring fault of some kind. I might try replacing the ECU. I have Elmconfig, which ive used successfully before, can i just copy my old one and flash a new one with my data?

• 7 years later...

I know this was a long time ago….did you ever suss the problem. I am experiencing similar issues.