Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Mondeo 1.8tdci queries

Alastair Dean

Hi All,

I’m hoping that soneone can offer me some advice…

I’m thinking of purchasing a 2008 Mondeo estate – 1.8tdci titanium 95k miles.

I’ve heard some horror stories about turbos on the 1.6 focus engine – does this 1.8 engine suffer from the same issues? 

I’ve also heard about some of the convers+ systems causing a whole host of issues.

Are there any other issues that I need to be aware of that people have had – DPF’s dual massflywheels etc etc

Many thanks in advance

Alastair

• 3 weeks later...

The 1.8 TDCI is an old Ford unit with the modern bits bolted on (high pressure fuel rail, turbo etc), it doesn't have a DPF & other than a dodgy batch of injectors is pretty much bulletproof.  It's a heavy old lump (cast engine block rather than the aluminium which is used in the 1.6/2.0 TDCI's which both have DPF's), it's not as refined as the 2.0 TDCI but you don't really notice it when driving, just when it's idling or you're stood next to it with the engine running.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2016 at 8:09 PM, 1979Damian said:

The 1.8 TDCI is an old Ford unit with the modern bits bolted on (high pressure fuel rail, turbo etc), it doesn't have a DPF & other than a dodgy batch of injectors is pretty much bulletproof.  It's a heavy old lump (cast engine block rather than the aluminium which is used in the 1.6/2.0 TDCI's which both have DPF's), it's not as refined as the 2.0 TDCI but you don't really notice it when driving, just when it's idling or you're stood next to it with the engine running.

Just a quick one. Do the dualmass flywheels make a rattling sound when the car is idling when they start to go?

Cheers

On 09/07/2016 at 11:13 AM, Jayo13 said:

Just a quick one. Do the dualmass flywheels make a rattling sound when the car is idling when they start to go?

Cheers

Does the sound change/stop when you push the clutch down?

• Like 1

On 16/06/2016 at 9:43 AM, Alastair Dean said:

2008 Mondeo estate – 1.8tdci titanium 95k miles

I have the 1.8TDCI in my Focus. I think it is a really good engine. Loads of torque in the important low rev range (1800 to 3000 rpm), my car drives very nicely.

EGR was a weakness, it is built into the Inlet manifold, but you can buy the actuator separately now. And on my 2006, it can be blanked off if needed, though if the EGR works, it has no appreciable impact on performance. No DPF is a huge advantage. 12k oil changes (1.6TDCI needs 5k to 6k changes ideally).

Any turbo diesel can have expensive turbo, fuel pump or injector problems. I have not had any (touch wood!), and in my time on this site, have not heard of any, on the 1.8. Use decent oil (I use Ford Formula F, as recommended), and a decent fuel filter, changed carefully so as not to introduce dirt.

Re DMF, it is a possible problem on many cars. Clanking on engine start & stop, vibration on clutch pedal, noise or roughness pulling away at low revs seem to be the main pointers (though a small amount of vibration is normal on the clutch pedal, so don't use that symptom alone).

As for being an old dinosaur, I was born long before that (Lynx) engine was first conceived, so what does that make me? .... No don't answer that!!

If it looks ok, feels ok, and seems to have been cared for, then snap it up, I would say!

On 11/07/2016 at 10:10 PM, 1979Damian said:

Does the sound change/stop when you push the clutch down?

When the car is idling there is a slight rattling noise and when I push the clutch down it changes, it takes away some of the rattling but I can still hear a slight rattle out of it, it is hard to describe but is this the early stage of the flywheel giving up or a problem with the clutch?

Thanks for your reply ☺☺

It could be, but it could be something as simple as a failing engine mount.  The top engine mount on the drivers side has a fluid filled 'bladder' in it that has a habit of cracking due to old age, with no fluid in it the mount stops absorbing the engine vibrations (of which there are many with most older diesel engines) and you get a bit of rattling/vibration through the pedal and/or the bulk head when idling.

To be honest there is no way to be sure if the DMF is on it's way out, the LUK brand DMF for this engine tends to be pretty solid I'm currently on 128K without any DMF related worries and there are others that have cover 150K+.  If the car is otherwise in really good nick i.e. it feels like it's been cared for, I guess like all used cars it's a bit of a gamble.

I've driven 2 vehicles previously where the DMF was (and did) fail, both exhibited a 'tapping' sensation through the clutch pedal when it was pressed down, until the point the DMF went bang! (literally)

Is the car being sold by a dealer or privately?

• Like 1

Hi I have 1.8 tdci titanium 2007 no problems what so ever only major parts I have had is alternator n rear bushes

bushes are prone to go on these though

rest of parts is just general parts discs pads ect.

as for the noise with the clutch I noticed this with mine makes rattle judder sort noise once clutch pressed its gone.but also noticed it only does it once car first started up if you been out in it and it's warmed up it won't do it.

i checked this out with garage last year as thought something up with it they said it's just something warming up in the car can't remember what part they said.

cant complain on the focus though good solid car nice to drive 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club