Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 2 aka MyFord Touch Issues

DJ_Andy_M

So picked up my 2015 Focus Titanium X today and I'm having a right mare with the entertainment system.

First up I'm aware there are lots of bugs and moans however...

Can't get the DAB or iPod to work properly for love nor money. I've updated the software to the latest version to see if that would help and its not.

Currently I've now been sat for 15 minutes with "Seeking DAB stations" on my screen. The last time I cancelled this I lost all DAB until I left the car for a while. Adding to that with the iPod, it only seems to work in the front USB port which is annoying as I'd rather stick it in the glove box out of view. When it is plugged in and fully indexed it won't respond to commands and often is showing incorrect information.

One other problem I came across was when driving home for some reason the FM radio decided to override everything playing static at me until I restarted the car.

I don't really want to go and sit at Ford for a day but if I can't resolve this I will have to.

Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up as I'm going to the dealer and I'd like to get as many people suffering this problem to get involved so we can finally nail them for it and get the software updates we deserve to our units!

I commiserate wirh you but I don't understand why you didn't test the radio unit. When I buy I always test the full aspect of the radio and phone connectivity.

Take your car back to where you bought it and get them to fix it. Organise a courtesy car.

There are a number of issues with Sync 2. Not even Ford know what it is.

Well it is a Micro$haft system :laugh:

FWIW mine seems to loose my phone every once in a while, it's pitta to have to manually reconnect when it cannot find it. On the other hand my DAB is working fine :biggrin:

Sync2 is fine within the limitations of the Microsoft software, Sync3 is coming out in America later this year but won't be upgradeable to Sync2 only a new fit.

SYNC 3 is already available in the USA on several Ford models and is expected to be released this summer in Europe also. It will be introduced on the Mondeo MK5 and S-max/Galaxy first and later also on other Ford models.

SYNC 2 can be upgraded to SYNC 3 but this will cost a lot of money. Some USA companies already offer a retrofit kit that is also suitable for the Focus MK3/MK3.5 with the My Ford Touch or SYNC 2 system. Prices for these kits are arround $2000,-.

On 27/06/2016 at 6:29 PM, tazzman600 said:

I commiserate wirh you but I don't understand why you didn't test the radio unit. When I buy I always test the full aspect of the radio and phone connectivity.

Take your car back to where you bought it and get them to fix it. Organise a courtesy car.

There are a number of issues with Sync 2. Not even Ford know what it is.

I did, and my assumption (all I can hear is my boss going "Assumption is the mother of all what?") was based on the issues I was already aware of with Sync 2 so applying a software update to the latest version in my mind should have fixed this.

The only thing I can imagine being the issue if its not the Sync software is the DAB module's software or even the module its self being at fault.

Car's going in tomorrow either way to get looked at, and I've also tweeted Ford about it (with a video of the problem) so I'm hoping they might have something to say about this issue too.

Update.

Car went in today, and they had a look at it. Technician apparently had it hooked up to the computer and was seeing what looked pretty normal.

When playing around, he couldn't get the problem to recreate that I'd specifically been seeing, but did notice when he switched to DAB 2 the entire system locked up. However when I went to pick it up I demonstrated the problem I was having and recreated it.

Ford are aware of DAB specific issues, and claim they are working on a fix for this. But they haven't seen my specific problem. He's raised it to a higher level and he's awaiting a response from Ford. He also said about obtaining another module be it Sync or one of the other bits just to test out of curiosity more than anything I think.

He also mentioned to me about software updates and how they're not allowed to do them on Sync 2 devices. We did however have a good discussion about accessing them from the international Ford sites, and that the UK is "coming soon".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further update for those also having DAB issues.

I had a call earlier this week from my local Ford service branch... "Hi, we've booked you in for Thursday as we want your car back to do some more things to it". Got it back today, after them having it over night and the result is a very positive one.

After 7+ hours of trying to reflash the APIM and another module (which I've found out is running Java at the core) they've finally fixed my DAB problem it appears. Apparently there was new software released about a month ago, and Ford wanted the technician to give it a try on my car. Also the Microsoft side of the software seems to be a whole lot more responsive now this update has been applied too.

So, if you find your DAB doesn't tune to stations properly i.e switch from one multiplex to another, or you browse for stations and it just sits there for half an hour go and hassle Ford and tell them about this APIM update. I'll feed back further after I've driven it for a few days.

• Like 3

Yo

On 05/07/2016 at 9:10 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Update.

Car went in today, and they had a look at it. Technician apparently had it hooked up to the computer and was seeing what looked pretty normal.

When playing around, he couldn't get the problem to recreate that I'd specifically been seeing, but did notice when he switched to DAB 2 the entire system locked up. However when I went to pick it up I demonstrated the problem I was having and recreated it.

Ford are aware of DAB specific issues, and claim they are working on a fix for this. But they haven't seen my specific problem. He's raised it to a higher level and he's awaiting a response from Ford. He also said about obtaining another module be it Sync or one of the other bits just to test out of curiosity more than anything I think.

He also mentioned to me about software updates and how they're not allowed to do them on Sync 2 devices. We did however have a good discussion about accessing them from the international Ford sites, and that the UK is "coming soon".

It did say that updates on line were "coming soon", on the Ford web site, last year. It was removed earlier this year however.

I am worried about updating sync from a foreign site, whilst my car is under warranty and it works ok.

I wonder why EU dealers can't do it, when abroad its user updatable? I would hope they will allow owners to do this themselves soon, but won't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, TitXlover said:

Yo

It did say that updates on line were "coming soon", on the Ford web site, last year. It was removed earlier this year however.

I am worried about updating sync from a foreign site, whilst my car is under warranty and it works ok.

I wonder why EU dealers can't do it, when abroad its user updatable? I would hope they will allow owners to do this themselves soon, but won't hold my breath.

The APIM side of the car has to be done by the dealer as it involves removing the rear USB port and plugging that into a computer. However the Sync 2 side can be done by you without issues. If you go to either the Ford India or Ford Australia site in Internet Explorer you can get the latest updates, and they will not void your warranty. I was very honest with my dealer about what I had done and actually he knew about it already and was somewhat encouraging of doing it I guess!

Cheers, might have a go.

Crazy thing is that cars these days are generally great but will probably date quickly due to tech advances.

A bit like phones, you will have to upgrade every couple of years. My last Focus Mk1, 05 went 10 years with hardly a problem. Really like the new one, but the lack of tech support worries me, especially when new models and sync versions come along.

1 hour ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

The APIM side of the car has to be done by the dealer as it involves removing the rear USB port and plugging that into a computer. However the Sync 2 side can be done by you without issues. If you go to either the Ford India or Ford Australia site in Internet Explorer you can get the latest updates, and they will not void your warranty. I was very honest with my dealer about what I had done and actually he knew about it already and was somewhat encouraging of doing it I guess!

• 3 years later...
On 7/1/2016 at 11:29 PM, Scotty Pro said:

Well it is a Micro$haft system :laugh:

FWIW mine seems to loose my phone every once in a while, it's pitta to have to manually reconnect when it cannot find it. On the other hand my DAB is working fine :biggrin:

Focus titanium navigator with problems on the sync2 satnav. could not find menu screens like favorites or reset. i disconnected the battery for a couple of hours. it restarted perfectly. you just need a 10mm spanner.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club