Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FOCUS 1.8TDCI SCRAP OR KEEP ???

Focus1.8tdc

Hi all looking for some advice on my 07 Focus tdci.

Car has done 206,000 miles and the bearings in my gearbox have gone !!  Passenger side of the car feels all distorted and just replaced the front shaft as thought the shaft was dodgy as it was wobbly and trembling. Turns out its the weight of the gearbox travelling down the shaft tut !!

Am unsure if I should buy a cheap box or not and try to get another six months or so out of the car as the engine still feels great with lots of power and a new turbo was put in at 160,000. The car is in good condition all round really for its age. Just don't want to put another box in and for that to go wrong 2 or 3 weeks down the line......or the clutch to go once a replacement box has been put in which ive heard can happen...

So if anyone has had similar problems or knows why these gearboxes fail your feedback and replies are very greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I would probably buy a second hand box and put a new clutch kit in the same time, some breakers offer 3-6 month warranty.

Try getting one from as low mileage as possible, that way you're going to get as good a box as possible, or get your box reconditioned, see what prices you get. Good luck buddy 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2016 at 3:28 PM, Focus1.8tdc said:

Hi all looking for some advice on my 07 Focus tdci.

Car has done 206,000 miles and the bearings in my gearbox have gone !!  Passenger side of the car feels all distorted and just replaced the front shaft as thought the shaft was dodgy as it was wobbly and trembling. Turns out its the weight of the gearbox travelling down the shaft tut !!

Am unsure if I should buy a cheap box or not and try to get another six months or so out of the car as the engine still feels great with lots of power and a new turbo was put in at 160,000. The car is in good condition all round really for its age. Just don't want to put another box in and for that to go wrong 2 or 3 weeks down the line......or the clutch to go once a replacement box has been put in which ive heard can happen...

So if anyone has had similar problems or knows why these gearboxes fail your feedback and replies are very greatly appreciated.

Cheers

id car is decent all round and engine is still running well I would say its worth checking the local scrappy's like others have said and pick up the parts you need and fit them. Aim for the 300,000 mark lol! :wink:

• Like 1