Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior door handle and exterior window surround

BP2411

Hello everyone, I have 2 questions about my car but I apologise in advance for the terrible description of the parts in question.

The first is the interior door handle used for pulling the door closed when inside, interior door handle sounds right.  Mine are worn due to the age of the car and I was wondering if anyone else has painted / wrapped or replaced them?

Second part is on the outside of the car around the drivers window, it looks like a black sticker but mine has little chips in it showing the white paint underneath, does anyone know the actual name for this and if ford sell them or would I have to buy something like sticky back plastic? 

Any chance of photos?

I will get pictures later, if you look at the car from the outside it's the drivers window surround, top half of the door that the window sits in. It's hard to explain I bet there's a very logical name for it but my mind has gone blank.

Dipped door handles would be a good idea, if done correctly it should last, other option is to get decent second hand covers.

The matt black plastic on the doors needs to be recovered by a pro' and not covered by the likes of me or thee with vinyl which will come off in six months time!

Dipped door handles, do you mean something like plasti dip I can do myself or is it something I need to get done professionally?

Shame about the window I was hoping ford would just sell a replacement sticker I could put on myself.

22 hours ago, BP2411 said:

Dipped door handles, do you mean something like plasti dip I can do myself or is it something I need to get done professionally? Shame about the window I was hoping ford would just sell a replacement sticker I could put on myself.

No I mean 'Hydro Coating' it's a big sheet of decal paper very similar what you get in plastic model kits, its then sealed with lacquer, picture is of one of my handles.

If you wanted to try and do all the black covering yourself, you need to remove all the old covering & glue, then vinyl wrap it, but usually done by oneself.... it comes off.

006.thumb.JPG.f1a8b4e3d2d12ea28dba7150634db0ff.JPG

That looks very professional, did you have to buy any special equipment to do it? Was it expensive to do?

38 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

That looks very professional, did you have to buy any special equipment to do it? Was it expensive to do?

I had a load of it done! Both handle covers - centre console - air con surround - secret ashtray - top surround - side air vents, the carbon effect has a high gloss 2K clear coat on it, so it's chip & scratch resistant, cost me £90 and the finish is superb.

003.thumb.JPG.294748f51656989e3ddb1f1714b6ae3e.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.1683223cdaf80cc8d3ebe12b12a1ac9c.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.2af7a88f80c4f06ef5a64cb3f000f079.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.e6c056b087734083c81abdd2a00e8f00.JPG

• Like 2

Sorry, I thought you'd done it yourself! Thanks for the replies I'll have a think on what to do next.

• Like 1

I went to Ford's to price some parts out of curiosity, the interior grab handles are £30 ish each so I'm going to give plasti dip a go, if it goes wrong it just peels off anyway.  The black around the window is a sticker, the upright part is £8 but the top part that curves around the top of the door is £30 ish.

Gave plasti dip a go, sorry for terrible pictures, ideally I would've liked to paint them frozen white but to do that would mean sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, lacquer.  With plasti dip you just clean / degrease then spray plus if it goes wrong it just peels off!

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg