Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rounded Sump Plug

TomsFocus

It was already rounded on the 'tight' direction so I knew what was coming next...

Yep, ridiculouly tight, won't budge with mole grips, smaller sockets or bolt removers...FML...

Instead of paying to have it removed with presumably a lot of hassle, I'm now off to mates who has an oil suction pump for his boat engine...  I know it's not ideal but is there any reason I really shouldn't use suction method on the zetec ST150 engine?  I obviously wouldn't on the dv6 lol.

Cheers

Tom 

Come on now Tom you need to try a bit harder :lol: 

• Like 2

Why not suck the oil out to drain it, then remove the sump & drill out the plug?

I personally wouldn't ever rely on sucking the oil out during a service as any gunk etc won't be removed

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 2

merc and bmw suck the oil out as routine.

I'd personally rather just drain the oil out & get my hands dirty.

If I was a professional I'd rather be a mechanic than a technician if that makes sense ;)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

"grease monkey kieran" lol

• Like 2

I'm more of a fitter than a mechanic lol... :tongue:

The evening ended up with 4 hours fixing mates Saab instead lol.  But I've borrowed the suction pump so will give that a go tomorrow.

It's a high miler and not my daily, so I'm not too fussed about getting every last drop of oil out lol.  As long as that's not going to cause any major issues (not like there's a turbo to break! :sad: ) then that'll do me, have to know when to spend the money and when to hold back when you chop and change as much as I do lol.

Yes I did try an easy out Bob, but it just started taking chunks out so decided not to ruin it any further lol.

Drain out everytime. You need to get that sump plug out. Try a local independent who as has been suggested might use suction then remove sump drill out and drill and tap a bigger size or suchlike. Or use an easy out etc. Having a look at the sump when off gives you a good chance to clean it out and check for contaminants etc (should be able to tell from the state of your sump internally what sort of condition your engine is in). Then flush the engine out.  

• Like 1

That's !Removed! luck with that sump plug tom. You've tried just about everything to no avail. By all means use an oil suction pump (there's been loads said about them on forums to which I got one and only used it once as I wasn't happy with the results ) to get as much of the oil out. Once out it sou ds like you need to remove the sump and either get another sump and plug or find an engineering workshop to remove the rounded plug.

• Like 1

You could do with some stilsons mate that will get it out..

Im a plumber so use them al the time, doesn't matter how tight or rounded if you can them to bite it will remove it..

• Like 3

Who was the last one to touch this super sump plug anyway? Lol 

• Like 2

Stilsons are the same as mole grips right?  They just slipped off as well, problem is you need to have enough strength to get those on tight enough, and strength is something I really don't have lol.

Pretty sure the Hulk was last to touch it Stef... :unsure:  On further inspection, although the last service was about 10k ago, it was back in 2014 so it's been there a while, as well as being overtightened in the first place.  The sump itself has also taken a little damage from where I was a little...err...over zealous and bottomed out at speed, although it's just visually a small scrape I'm not sure if the impact could've 'squashed' the plug hole very slightly to make it tighter?  I may be talking out of my backside there though! :laugh: 

6wwyor1.jpg

(PS, that damp is penetrating fluid, not oil leaking lol)

• Like 1

Stilons are not like mole grips.   The more torque you put on stilsons the tighter they grip.   I'm sure they would work.

These are Stilsons

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 6

Stillsons may just work but it may well be a good investment to buy one of those do all sockets. The ones when you look at them there are a number of pins that push in. I tried one at a classic car show recently. I did up and undid properly rounded nuts bolts etc and I

Used excess pressure too. Wish I'd have bought one.

Look up Multi Size Socket on amazon. They come up. Blimey cheap too but I'd buy a mid price one. Good luck with it tom.

• Like 1

Hi Tom if you know someone with a mig welder get them to weld a m12 nut on to the plug, use a 17mm socket on the nut, hopefully it will loosen it, the heat from the welder should help too.

Sorry Tom should have said 19mm socket on the nut.

I'd suggest Stilsons as well, best thing since sliced bread on the farm after CVT on the tractor of course.  Remove just about any cow much covered, seized, rotten & rounded bolt.  Can't beat them

• Like 3

Ah, I'll have to get some of those I think!

Anyway, used the manual suction pump today and while it's far more labour intensive and time consuming than just dropping the oil the normal way, it did get pretty much all of the oil out, I'm content that it did a good enough job just to put the fresh oil straight in.  IF I still have the car in 10k we'll revisit this, if not it's someone else's problem lol.

Whilst I do have a garage mate that can weld, finding time when we're both free is near impossible, still waiting for his help sorting out the rounded shock bolt lol!

You'll need to get working on your guns Tom :lol: 

• Like 2

Lol, its usually all about a leverage for us weaklings...I just keep a 3ft breaker bar handy! :laugh: 

Would be useful if I could stop rounding or shearing bolts though! :blush:

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, its usually all about a leverage for us weaklings...I just keep a 3ft breaker bar handy! :laugh: 

Would be useful if I could stop rounding or shearing bolts though! :blush:

Haha :lol: 

get some decent sockets then lol. 

• Like 2