Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Code 0167 Lost comms with immobilizer module

mondeo161

2 hours ago, mondeo161 said:

Regarding the Sticking door pull switch. Do you think that would that be the touch switch on the outside handle or the actuator inside the door?

I think it is the outside one. See section of wiring diagram below. The only "Pull switch" is the "unlock pull switch", drawn with two gn-bk (green/black) wires to it. And that switch is wired direct to the KVM (or RKE in Forscan) module. I presume a DTC was seen about the stuck switch?

It is hard to see the link between water on the mirror connector & all those odd CAN bus related error codes, It is possible opening the door panel disturbed, or dried out, something else. But if the codes have gone away, that is the most important thing. And if they return, then this door area is a prime suspect.

If U1900 is the only (unexplained code), and does not always repeat, it can safely be ignored, as the Forscan screen hints.

Looking very promising at the moment. Hope it stays that way.

Diagnostics like Forscan (or the Ford IDS) do not always pinpoint the error, but they really do help, especially if used often.

Peter.

Pull-Sw.png

First pic. This is the Connector which had the water ingress. It was placed lower than the hole that the cable from the mirror comes through so any water coming in through the  mirror housing was running down the cable and into the block.

The car has now been running for a full day with no issues. So I will do another scan tomorrow and see what codes if any come up. Then I will re-connect the block and see what happens.

Fingers crossed.

Another couple of photo's attached. I also disconnected and re-connected all terminals so this might also have helped. The two going through the rubber gromits on the rear left and right I assume are Can Bus as they are well taped and seem to have a type of putty around the cables under the tape.

Will update you tomorrow and thanks for your help with this issue Peter.

Wing Mirror.jpg

Rear Left 1.jpg

Rear Left Can.jpg

Rear Left.jpg

Rear Righe Can.jpg

1 hour ago, mondeo161 said:

The car has now been running for a full day with no issues. So I will do another scan tomorrow and see what codes if any come up. Then I will re-connect the block and see what happens.

Look like the fault may have been in there somewhere.

The mirror itself looks an unlikely culprit, there do not seem to be any electronics in there, just 3 motors, 2 lamps & a heater. But stranger things have happened, if it works that is what matters.

CAN bus wiring is usually a twisted pair, though there are other twisted pairs in the car. The door modules should be black boxes mounted right beside the window winding motor, and the CAN bus goes to these. It is just possible that some short circuit or odd problem in the mirror is upsetting the door module enough to cause the problem. The 8 wires on the mirror plug should all go to the smaller connector on the door module.

As you say, see how it goes! Hope it stays working.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter.

Just a wee update on Andrews car.

Its been a couple of weeks now and the car is problem free. Re-connected the wing mirror block last week and still no issues.

Looks like the water in the connection was the cause but as you say it is a strange one. There must be a link between that and the main loom.

Thanks for all your help mate.

Kind regards

John F

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 7/12/2016 at 2:51 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

Look like the fault may have been in there somewhere.

The mirror itself looks an unlikely culprit, there do not seem to be any electronics in there, just 3 motors, 2 lamps & a heater. But stranger things have happened, if it works that is what matters.

CAN bus wiring is usually a twisted pair, though there are other twisted pairs in the car. The door modules should be black boxes mounted right beside the window winding motor, and the CAN bus goes to these. It is just possible that some short circuit or odd problem in the mirror is upsetting the door module enough to cause the problem. The 8 wires on the mirror plug should all go to the smaller connector on the door module.

As you say, see how it goes! Hope it stays working.

Peter.

Hello Peter. I can see you are very experienced  and skillfull would you mind giving me your advice. I cannot decide whic direction should I go. I am from Venezuela and I have a 2015 ford fiesta titanium sedan automatic 1.6. my car was working find and technician at ford dealership was fixing some issues with the steering and suddendly the car stop working and now it doesnt recognize the key. no dashboard on. like there isno key around. i change bateries for keyless fob and tried with the 2nd key and nothing. I had to talk with a ford technician in Colombia and he said it may be KVM. can I just buy a used KVM and install it or it requires a special programming? I really appreciate you help

On 6/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, EfraRod said:

can I just buy a used KVM and install it or it requires a special programming?

I am fairly sure it will need programming. I am not very familiar with the keyless vehicle system, but I know it uses a version of the same PATS (Immobiliser) as the standard (keyed) vehicles. The first step is to get a good diagnostics system like Forscan, and find out what codes are being generated. The KVM, the PCM (aka ECU) and possibly the IC (Instrument cluster are all involved in PATS, and the codes needed (key codes) are stored in more than one place, so a thief can't just replace one easy to get at module and steal the car.