Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus reduced acceleration problem

Scotty12347

I've got a problem with my focus that is testing my patience and I'm hoping you knowledgable lot can give me a clue or send me in the right direction with it. 

It keeps giving me a message on the instrument cluster 'engine systems failure - then goes on to say acceleration reduced' true to its word the car then limits the acceleration in some kind of limp mode. The engine management light does not come on but the little red light next to the speedo does.
It doesn't throw up any codes to the obd2 reader. If I restart the engine the problem goes away but then comes back sometime later. What leads to the message coming up is a drop in the Rev needle, sometimes this will be for a fraction of a second and nothing happens but if it drops for a second or so which it does occasionally I get that error message.
As an aside, when I restart the engine and the problem 'resets' it's hit or miss whether the cruise control will work. Sometimes it does sometimes not and there doesn't seem to be any consistent with it. ( I realise it won't activate until you set it over a certain speed - it's not that)

I will say that before it started doing this it gave me the occasional p0156 code o2 sensor bank 2 position 2). This did give me the orange engine management light but no error message. When cleared it would go for a week or so then come back.
Since the new error message and acceleration reduced stuff has started it does log the occasional p0156 code but doesn't show the engine management light.

I had an auto electrician out who said it was likely to be the instrument cluster as they are dodgy. I've sent it off to cartronix but once they did their work with it it's still doing the same thing.
I haven't got a clue what to check next, ive had a look at all the fuses and relays under the engine fuse box and they all seem fine. The battery earth is good but I'm not sure where the others are. 

It's a 1.6 petrol 2005. Has anybody else had anything similar and knows a solution?

Thanks for any help I'm really struggling with it!

Your car is the 1.6 ti-vct 115. It has 2 cats and 4 o2 sensors. 2 pre and 2 post cat.

Bank 2 Position 2 is located passenger side post cat. If this sensor is not operating correctly it'll throw the engine management light BUT shouldn't send you into limp mode. If it was pre cat position 1, you'd expect limp mode, bad running etc.

Since you've had the cluster done, I guess you can discount that. If it was me I'd get the condition of the battery checked. Knackered batteries cause all sorts of fault codes. Most garages or Halfords will check it for free.

I had faults that I thought was due to a cluster fault. Engine surging at idle, engine management fault, all sorts of different codes. Was the battery. Could be a long shot, but worth a go. In regards to the o2 sensor, maybe if that sensor keeps playing up its affecting something else. Without codes or someone who is experienced observing live data when it's going wrong it's hard to say.

On 6/27/2016 at 6:53 PM, Scotty12347 said:

likely to be the instrument cluster as they are dodgy. I've sent it off to cartronix but once they did their work with it it's still doing the same thing.

Are you still getting the engine systems fault message? ? On a 2005 Focus, this is a classic IC problem, but you seem to have eliminated that.

However it could still be a communications error due to wiring or faults in another module.If there are communications issues, (& the systems error is usually due to this), then the O2 sensor DTC can not entirely be trusted. CAN bus errors cause a host of confusing symptoms.

A powerful Ford specific system like Forscan will pull out any messages about CAN bus errors, which are usually invisible to a generic scanner. Cost is only about £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available).

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

For an ELM327 adapter, see

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

(Old: http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992)

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

Peter.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Updated tunnelrat link
  • Like 1

On 29 June 2016 at 0:20 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

Are you still getting the engine systems fault message? ? On a 2005 Focus, this is a classic IC problem, but you seem to have eliminated that.

However it could still be a communications error due to wiring or faults in another module.If there are communications issues, (& the systems error is usually due to this), then the O2 sensor DTC can not entirely be trusted. CAN bus errors cause a host of confusing symptoms.

A powerful Ford specific system like Forscan will pull out any messages about CAN bus errors, which are usually invisible to a generic scanner. Cost is only about £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, Bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available).

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

Peter.

Thank you for such a detailed informative reply.

i have replaced the battery as suggested but am still getting the fault unfortunately. 

That program you mentioned sounds good but the problem is I don't even have a tablet never mind a laptop. Would it work off an iPhone? I wouldn't have thought so.

im thinking my next step might be to bite the bullet and book the car in with ford

1 minute ago, Scotty12347 said:

Would it work off an iPhone?

There is an iPhone version advertised on the Forscan Site. I just tried it, but the link did not work for me.

I have found another entry point:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/forscan-lite-for-ford-mazda/id892347083?mt=8

Try that, not free, but almost!

Peter.

• Like 1

So the adapter you mentioned has the ford connector on one end and usb on the other, and will interact with the app you linked?

if that's the case I'll give it a whirl!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scotty12347 said:

usb on the other, and will interact with the app you linked?

No, you will need a wireless WiFi ELM. (I think iPhone does not have bluetooth?, nor USB?)

So far this is the only one I have found, that has the Ford MS/HS CAN switch (this is what "Modified" means), and is sold as Forscan compatible.

Anyone else know of good WiFi adapters?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WIFI-Modified-ELM-327-for-ForScan-MS-HS-CAN-Ford-Mazda-Tester-iOS-Android-/301983279660?hash=item464f9b2a2c:g:92IAAOSwo6lWORGs

Peter.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Add info

46 minutes ago, Scotty12347 said:

usb on the other, and will interact with the app you linked?

Answer no2!!

Some iPhones have USB, or an Apple  (lightning) port with a USB extension cable. If your iPhone has USB capability, you can use the Tunnelrat adapter, or others, there is Much more choice.

I've just bought the adaptor. I'll find a laptop to put the forscan software on somewhere

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a problem with my car,dreaded warning...reduced acceleration and then went into limp mode and sometimes wouldnt start. The problem was intermittent and only seemed to do it when it was a hot day. Was going to have it plugged into the ford diagnostics to get the actuall fault but they charge £89 per hour to do so and it may not even guarantee the actual fault.So i took the plunge after reading many sites and put it down to the instrument cluster as all of the faults I was getting lead me to that.My mate removed the cluster,which is your dashboard with all of the dials speedo,petrol guage etc.Just lift  cover of the flap above steering wheel to get to the 2 screws and simply pull out and un-plug.I then sent it away to company on eBay who fixes clusters-re-soulders them for £69. They returned it the following day and I have no problems now. Here is the site that I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8V4T-10849-FORD-FOCUS-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-SPEEDOMETER-REPAIR-SERVICE/282818101442?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Edited by mellaman
Typo

The NecroPoster strikes again!

Mwahahahahaaaaaaa!!!

Lol thanks for the link though, there are folk who will find that useful for the mk2 immobiliser fault.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Good day,my focus 2.5 turbo says engine system fault acceleration reduced and it won't start,but when we push it,it does start so I don't know,if I can claim that it's the battery

• Confused 1

On 3/30/2019 at 4:03 AM, Thembi said:

Good day,my focus 2.5 turbo says engine system fault acceleration reduced and it won't start,but when we push it,it does start so I don't know,if I can claim that it's the battery

Your issue/query isn't anything to do with what was asked in this thread, if you start a fresh thread you'll stand a much better chance of getting some help/advice. 

• 4 months later...

Hello y'all.

I'm getting a similar fault to this on my 2008 1.6 auto Focus.

It says "transmission fault", then says acceleration reduced, although I don't actually notice a reduction when I push it to drive uphill or overtake, etc.

Should I just ignore it ?

Many thanks ...

… M

11 hours ago, MarkC70 said:

It says "transmission fault", then says acceleration reduced,

It is unlikely to be linked in any way to the original post, there are many, many reasons for the acceleration reduced message. I would not really advise ignoring it. A system like Forscan will provide some sort of clue as to the cause. See the links in June 29, 2016 in this thread, above here.

19 hours ago, MarkC70 said:

Hello y'all.

I'm getting a similar fault to this on my 2008 1.6 auto Focus.

It says "transmission fault", then says acceleration reduced, although I don't actually notice a reduction when I push it to drive uphill or overtake, etc.

Should I just ignore it ?

Many thanks ...

… M

You can ignore it but in that case I strongly recommend to start saving some money for a new transmission. 

It is a much better idea to just diagnose what the problem is and just solve the problem. 

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

ive a 1.4 petrol mk2 focus and it’s coming up saying engine system fault then acceleration reduced and then when I accelerate Past first it’s not accelerating for about a second then it kicks in. Usually I just turn off the car but when it starts happening frequently a check engine light pops up. I’m knew to this whole Ford forum thing so I don’t know if I should post it here or where to post it. Any ideas? 
thanks

• 6 months later...

i have ford focus station 2010 engine 2000 it keeps givin me an alert ( acceleration reduce ) i changed the throtle but it keeps giving me the same alert ! Any suggestions 

• 10 months later...
On 6/27/2016 at 7:53 PM, Scotty12347 said:

I've got a problem with my focus that is testing my patience and I'm hoping you knowledgable lot can give me a clue or send me in the right direction with it. 

It keeps giving me a message on the instrument cluster 'engine systems failure - then goes on to say acceleration reduced' true to its word the car then limits the acceleration in some kind of limp mode. The engine management light does not come on but the little red light next to the speedo does.
It doesn't throw up any codes to the obd2 reader. If I restart the engine the problem goes away but then comes back sometime later. What leads to the message coming up is a drop in the Rev needle, sometimes this will be for a fraction of a second and nothing happens but if it drops for a second or so which it does occasionally I get that error message.
As an aside, when I restart the engine and the problem 'resets' it's hit or miss whether the cruise control will work. Sometimes it does sometimes not and there doesn't seem to be any consistent with it. ( I realise it won't activate until you set it over a certain speed - it's not that)

I will say that before it started doing this it gave me the occasional p0156 code o2 sensor bank 2 position 2). This did give me the orange engine management light but no error message. When cleared it would go for a week or so then come back.
Since the new error message and acceleration reduced stuff has started it does log the occasional p0156 code but doesn't show the engine management light.

I had an auto electrician out who said it was likely to be the instrument cluster as they are dodgy. I've sent it off to cartronix but once they did their work with it it's still doing the same thing.
I haven't got a clue what to check next, ive had a look at all the fuses and relays under the engine fuse box and they all seem fine. The battery earth is good but I'm not sure where the others are. 

It's a 1.6 petrol 2005. Has anybody else had anything similar and knows a solution?

Thanks for any help I'm really struggling with it!

I have this exact same problem Now. Engine management light was on prior too. 

What was the problem mate?

20 minutes ago, KieranST225 said:

I have this exact same problem Now. Engine management light was on prior too. 

What was the problem mate?

He hasn't logged into the forum for over 2 years so I doubt he would reply.

Usually when people say they have the exact same problem, it's never exactly the same symptoms, but very similar. Have you scanned with Forscan and still not got any codes?

20 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

He hasn't logged into the forum for over 2 years so I doubt he would reply.

Usually when people say they have the exact same problem, it's never exactly the same symptoms, but very similar. Have you scanned with Forscan and still not got any codes?

My father in law has it at the garage today. I’m at work with his car lol. I am thinking it’s either the alternator or battery?