Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone breaking a mk2 1.6tdci (2008) or got a spare engine?!

MurdoD

'08 focus mk2 (facelift) 1.6tdci 109

Started her up the othe day, ticks over and revs / drives (literally only drove it a few feet) but there is a fairly loud knocking noise from engine. Engine Malfunction showing on dash.

Had a mechanic come out, hook up a few code readers, no faults given that could be related to this.

Mecahnic said was really hard to tell if little end or big end, had to get it back to garage to see what was going on. Put it on a flatbed today and off she goes.

If worse comes to worse and I need another engine, can anyone point me in the right direction? Checked on Fleabay and they seem to run from £200 upwards.. some being as much as £600. Garage reckons as a rough estimate, if it is engine, they would swap it out for £150-£200...

my only concern with second hand 1.6 tdci engine is that there are hundreds of the damned things that have blown a turbo, id be caution with any engine before 2008, you don't want to fork out a few hundred quid only to find that its full of shards of metal and tears its self apart as well.

Thanks for the tip. I had the turbo replaced on mine 2 months ago...

Did it blow?, if it did it might explain what happened to yours, there is a long and detailed series of tasks that must be carried out when fitting a new turbo on this engine, there has been examples of people having a new turbo fitted, getting 100 yards down the road and the new one doing the same.

The turbo did go yeah, and was replaced by a garage. They told me they performed the long list of work, charged me £700 all in for the work and the turbo. This was back in March this year.

I have just had a call from garage, "Cylinder 1 injector is goosed, waiting on a price and will let me know"

1. Does anyone know if this would of caused any other damage (strain on other injectors etc)?

2. Could damage to this injector of been caused by either the old turbo blowing or new turbo?

3. Should I get the injector seals replaced too?

4. Is it safe enough to replace the faulty injector or should all be replaced?

gutted... injector changed, still making knocking noise. garage says strip down which may need a new engine anyway or go straight for another engine :(

Don't go for another of these awful engines, choose a different car!

Would it be impossibly difficult to change it for a 1.8TDCI engine?

More basic, but more reliable, easier to maintain, & I suspect has more grunt, than the 1.6?

But it would probably be more sensible, as Tom suggests, to get another car!

Preferably another Focus - But I would be wary of some of the whizzy gizmos now on offer, Keyless & Stop-Start problems seem to be cropping up regularly, and if faults do develop, they can be a pig to pin down & fix!

i have no choice but to do engine. finance still outstanding.. cant afford to pay off that as well as buy sonething new.

i wondered if a1.8 would go in too.. does anyone know how i check compatability?

i think my engine is a G8DA.. but i can get my hands on a DV6C (out of a 2010 focus) very low mileage.. which according to wiki has been used in focus 1.6tdci since 2004-

engine replacement advice anyone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MurdoD said:

i wondered if a1.8 would go in too.. does anyone know how i check compatability?

Unfortunately, it would be a bigger job than a DV6 replacement. Turbo, exhaust, intercooler & pipes, PCM, the engine wiring harness. Possibly engine mounts & maybe even the bell housing & gearbox input shaft. Would require expert guidance, ie not me!

It would give you a Euro4 engine with no DPF, but at a cost! Sadly I expect it is not practical, like quite a few of my ideas. Anyone tried it?

Well if a DV6 will go in... i'll get my hands on one of those if thats what it comes to.

i found another post on here by someone with a 1.6tdci that has a regular, loud tapping noise which increases in tempo as i rev. this is EXACTLY the same noise and symptoms of mine and there was mention of the camchain/tensioner.. might be worth checking that out?

There's some confusion here.  G8DA is the Ford code for the DV6ATED4, so that's what you need.  The DV6C is the later Euro 5 emissions engine with the coated DPF and different ECU mapping, and is only 8 valve rather than 16 and uses a different turbo.  Although it would physically fit easily you'd need a different ECU and stuff so not worth it!

The 1.8 uses completely different engine mounts and gearbox etc, far too much hassle and cost to swap, especially for an archaic engine which is past it's prime lol, I doubt the finance company would allow that anyway.  2.0TDCi swap would be the only one worth considering, but again too much hassle and cost for that as well!

I really wouldn't be fixing this if it was mine, but I see your problem with finance.  Not really sure what to suggest tbh, your engine sounds like it's a crap one but you could just as easily stick another crap one in! :sad: 

...and is that 9HW, 9HY or 9HZ? :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old topic but i've got the car back from the garage along with a huge bill for labour/diagnostic and it's not even fixed.

Looks like I need an engine but anywhere I go seems to give me different codes etc and it's confusing as hell!

I was advised that the engine code for what is in mine would be part of the chasis number. So I had a look at the plate in the doorframe and came away with:

WF0PXXWPDP8R#####

Can anyone tell me what engine code I should be looking for a replacement?

All I know is it is a 2008 (DA3 Facelift) 1.6tdci 109 Focus with a busted engine :(

So I used a few ford VIN decoder websites, ended up with

1.6L Duratorq TDCi (110PS) - DV6

being as close as I could get. Guess i'll go hunt for a DV6 engine..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club