Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4 Zetec Mk7 Squeak

jimmymarsbar

Hi all,

My other half has a 1.4 Fiesta Zetec '09, and it's recently developed a squeak on the O/S whilst steering. At first I would have said it was the CV joint, however as the squeak has started getting worse, it's almost certainly not the CV joint, as it only "appears" when the steering turns slightly left -  when the steering is dead straight, if you turn the steering wheel to the left to what would be the 11 o'clock position. It's probably not even that far - maybe only 20 degrees or so. It only happens when turning left whilst travelling under 40mph. We had a motorway run out yesterday and couldn't hear it at 50+.

I've done a bit of reading and generally the brakes are to blame, but I've also read that the PAS pump could also be the culprit.

She's wanting to take it to the garage, but I'd rather gather a bit of background on the symptoms and take a look myself before potentially getting shafted by a garage.

Thanks for your time folks :wink:

I have a 58 plate Fiesta Diesel and my car started making a noise which I thought was on the Near Side . After investigation I found it to be the top knuckle joint and bearings of the Steering column. 

If you google the Steering column fault it can be resolved by putting the wheels straight , Locking the Steering then undoing the bottom bolt and the top Star/ torch bolt . 

The grease in the top Steering Column bearings of this 2008+ Mk7 model Fiesta seem to dry up due to the heat from the Steering motor situated just under the steering wheel . 

Best thing is to get some high heat grease to put into the Steering bearings ( White High Heat spray can be used for a short term fix ) and work them in by turning the ignition on and moving the powered steering from side to side a few times whilst squirting.  This may need repeating on a regular basis. 

This worked for me !

I give this info in good faith and hold no responsibility for any attempt to self repair your vehicles steering .

Photo attached of top Steering Column knuckle joint and Torques bolt

Hope this info helps you 😎

image.jpeg

Edited by DAIMAXBOYCE
Add photo of power steering unit
  • Like 1

I had this and it 'WAS' that joint as above, there's no need to strip it down but get some old towels which can cover all pedals & carpet, blast the joints with spray grease, whilst rotating the steering left & right.... Here's how I got to find out about my noise.

• Like 1

Is 'Head the Ball' really @Ian Lanc ? Think we've just found the replacement for Chris Evans :yes:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SpannerTheCat said:

Is 'Head the Ball' really @Ian Lanc ? Think we've just found the replacement for Chris Evans :yes:

Nope its not me :whistling: But the guy on youtube could be the man for TG.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club