Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Focus 1.6 TDCI Weird Idle / Hesitation Moment

bigshorty

Right, next update here!

Went for a 50 mile run this morning with FORScan taking live data, and was mainly dual carriage way driving. Looking through the data collected I can see there is an improvement in DP readings but not a huge one. Not once during the journey did the DP reading go above 10.0 kPa, the highest reading I got was 8.2 kPa and that was revving up to just over 3500rpm, referring back to previous data collected I was getting readings of over 8.0 kPa at 2500rpm. Before cleaning the DPF there were times that revving over 3000rpm would cause the DP readings to go over 10.0 kPa, highest recorded reading I can find was 11.4 kPa at just over 2000rpm.

Relating to normal 70 mph cruising, before cleaning the DPF, DP readings were averaging 7.0 kPa at 2300rpm, yet today readings were around 4.0 kPa at 2300rpm, so in all better readings, but I'm presuming these readings are still quite a bit higher than a new / good condition DPF, however with no guidelines for what DP readings a good condition DPF filter should produce, then its hard to make a comparison, so still at a bit of a loss as to whether these results are good or not.

I did cover 80 kms during the run this morning and no regen took place, before cleaning the last few regens were happening between 50 - 65 kms, so pleasing in a sense, but time will tell if this has improved or not. I'm also wondering if resetting the DPF learned values have contributed to this longer duration.

No DTCs relating to EGR and throttle valves since blanking EGR valve again, so thats good.

Any views and thoughts on this info would be greatly welcome, otherwise I'll monitor the car for a bit and update this as and when something noticeable happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigshorty said:

I'm hoping this has some positive results, only time will tell, but I'll keep you posted with any new findings!

That is what I mean!

There is very little reliable information about on the results of cleaning DPFs by sending them away to companies which perform some magic, secret process, and even less on diy cleaning.

So this is a bit of an experiment, as my post of 6 July was intended to say. The results could be of interest to many.

If anyone is unfamiliar with "guinea pig" as an experiment, see:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/4806/why-is-guinea-pig-used-as-the-colloquial-term-for-test-subjects

Just read the reply above, the 8.2kPa at 3500 rpm sounds good. And was that with the turbo on full boost? That may more than double the flow compared to just revving it on the driveway.

But, like you say, I think until it has done a couple of regen cycles, we will not know if there has been any real improvement.

Peter.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Add notes about reply

Cheers Peter. I see what you mean about being a 'guinea pig'. I'm happy to be the guinea pig if it helps others, as you said there seems to be very little info about cleaning DPFs so if this helps others, as well as myself, then its all good. I just wish there was more info about DP readings, at least there would be some info to compare results with, but its good to know you think 8.2kPa at 3500rpm is good.

19 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

And was that with the turbo on full boost?

How would I know if turbo was on full boost? Foot was pushed right down on accelerator in 3rd gear at the time, so I'm presuming the turbo would be at full boost.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigshorty said:

turbo was on full boost? Foot was pushed right down on accelerator in 3rd gear

If it wasn't, then it bloomin' well should have been!

I should have said wide throttle really, because the fuel, and the resulting higher exhaust temperature, both push the DPF volume flow up, as well as RPM & boost pressure. So there is a huge difference between cruising along, and full power, and this must show up in the DP over the filter. It it did not, then there would be something badly wrong, like a broken DP sensor.

In other words, just relying on RPM is a very bad guide for DP, you need to compare like for like, including throttle opening and engine power output. Select a few easily & safely repeatable conditions (eg Idle, 50-60mph cruising, M/way speed, & perhaps full power hill climb/acceleration), and try to note or log the DP at each condition. Then you can compare how it changes before  & after a regen.

Sounds good at the moment, I look forward to hearing more!

Peter.

!!! Formal Note: !!!

Since these posts can be read by anyone, I have to strongly advise against using a laptop or any handheld, or complex device while driving. I am sure everyone knows this! It could be both illegal & dangerous! Either have an assistant, or put the device into logging mode before starting, then review the results on completing the test. I can see that Paul is using Forscan in its logging mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

!!! Formal Note: !!!

Since these posts can be read by anyone, I have to strongly advise against using a laptop or any handheld, or complex device while driving. I am sure everyone knows this! It could be both illegal & dangerous! Either have an assistant, or put the device into logging mode before starting, then review the results on completing the test. I can see that Paul is using Forscan in its logging mode.

Sound advice! I get my partner to be my diagnostic mechanic, her laptop is the only one that has a working battery:laugh:

• Like 1

On 24/07/2016 at 11:53 AM, bigshorty said:

I'll monitor the car for a bit and update this as and when something noticeable happens.

Any regens happened, or other info at the moment?

Peter.

17 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Any regens happened, or other info at the moment?

No regens as yet Peter, but I have only driven the car 170kms since resetting the DPF values, but that is a definite improvement already considering before cleaning the DPF it would regen around the 60km mark. No DTCs showing at all.

Last FORScan data collected for an approximately 50 mile drive seemed to give much more stable, and generally lower DP readings, and the drive was quite varied combining wiggly, up and down country roads, mixed with 'A' road driving, so that seems better. The maximum DP reading I got for the whole journey was 7.1kPa under hard acceleration up to 3400rpm and I know this was overtaking a car in third with foot flat down on accelerator, so definitely better in my opinion, be interested to know what you think?

Looking promising so far, but I'm going to need the car to do a few regen cycles before I can get a true idea if things have improved, but as I don't use the car a great deal it could take a while to get any worthwhile results.

• Like 1

Next update.

Went for a drive today and car performed its first regen at 230km (143 miles) since cleaning DPF and resetting its learned values. To me this seems quite a short distance still, however I have been doing local, rather short and frequent journeys of late, so am sort of hoping this might have contributed to the regen. DP readings still seem lower than they were before cleaning, even under load, and car is running a lot smoother in general.

On a plus note, DTC P2458 did not come up after this regen, and still no other DTCs popping up, good news there so far.

I'll update again, as and when I get some new info, probably after the next few regens, so distance between them can be monitored.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon this will be the final update on this topic.

Cleaning the DPF has certainly helped in terms of distance between regens, they seem to be happening every 200 - 220kms. DP readings still ok, never really going over 7.5 kPa, even under hard acceleration. I've also had no more DTCs pop up, including the P2458 code. However, not long ago I did notice that the distance to ash full reading on FORScan took a massive drop from 99,000km to 66,000km (estimated readings), which is probably an indication that the DPF cleaning wasn't as good as it could have been, or the DPF is pretty much on its way out, so I can see a replacement happening at some point in the near future. Other than that, nothing much else to report, other than a different issue that I'll start a new post about now.

If anything interesting happens, I'll add an update to this discussion, but thats probably about it for now!

• Like 1