Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCI - Lack of Power in Traffic!?

TomsFocus

Hi,

So, I've noticed this quite a lot but keep trying to persuade myself I'm imagining it lol...

Basically it crawls through traffic easily, will roll on the clutch nicely, no jumping etc, probably the nicest car I've had in traffic lol.  But after several minutes of heavy slow traffic, when I break free into an empty road and put my foot down it's absolutely gutless, feels like limp mode but isn't.  At the same time it blows a huge cloud of soot, not sure if that's just 'old' that's been hanging around the exhaust from slow crawling or if it's from overfuelling at that exact moment.

Is everyone's the same?  I can't believe the heatsoak in the intercooler would cause so much difference?  It was the same before and after the map/EGR/DPF stuff so can't rule those out.

Just seems odd and kinda annoying when I try to blast across junction and it's just flat as a pancake.  Goes back to normal after a bit of cruising, even if just a constant 20mph.

Diags show no sensor faults btw.

17 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

But after several minutes of heavy slow traffic, when I break free into an empty road and put my foot down it's absolutely gutless, feels like limp mode but isn't.  At the same time it blows a huge cloud of soot,

You didn't say which car, I guess its the DV6.

How about this for a silly theory?

Injectors may be getting a bit tired, with excess leak back. At low revs, the fuel pump can not keep the fuel rail pressure up to max, and this will increase the droplet size of the injected fuel, and alter the spray pattern.

If the rail pressure drop is large, the transducer will detect it & pcm will give a warning, but I think there is a fair margin allowed before that happens.

Poor spray pattern would give poor combustion, and the pcm would just step up the injections to keep the idle speed up. There could be a build up of fuel (or part burnt residues) in the pistons. Then as rpm rises, this fuel will try to burn, but there may be insufficient air, result, a lot of soot.

May be a load of nonsense, but sometimes investigating silly ideas does lead to the right answer, I have found.

Have you tried monitoring the rail pressure via Forscan or some other system lately?

Says 1.6 TDCi in the title Peter. :wink:  It's fairly low mileage at 65k so shouldn't really be an injector issue yet I hope lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Says 1.6 TDCi in the title Peter

Ooops!

• Like 1

, ive noticed that before and I think I even mentioned it on here which was roundly shot down but in the past ive noticed it feels a little gutless in similar situations, ive never had black smoke that ive noticed tho.  Interestingly since I installed the honey comb grill ive noticed it a lot less!

Heatsoak or perhaps the PCM isn't reacting to the change in driving style quite so quick, perhaps it has some kind of lean mode for poor slow driving.

the smoke thing is an odd one though, apart from white steam ive not had any dark smoke.

The smoke could easily just be old soot, I also get it on the sliproad after a lot of town driving as well but without the power loss, have in previous cars as well so probably is old stuff that isn't getting enough flow to blow out until a harder boot.  Don't forget our DPFs are slightly different inside which maybe why you don't the smoke that I do.

Interesting you say about the PCM having a 'slow' mode as I did wonder about that...and if we both get the same thing that would make sense! 

Have you got a pic of the honeycomb grill?  Can't think what it looks like but I'm probably just having a stupid moment lol.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Ooops!

I notice you like my bog up (not reading the title, when I usually pride myself on trying to read things properlybiggrin.png), rather better than you like my wicked suggestion that your injectors are getting on! Not surprising really.

Re DPFs, I thought the idea was to remove the soot, not store it up & then release it in a great cloud at some other place.ohmy.png

But then I never did think they were a good idea.

Slightly more seriously, gutless cars are not an MoT fail, rather they may be viewed as a positive benefit by some. But clouds of smoke in the MoT inspector's face won't go down so wellsad.png. You might need to look into that (not too literally!) before then?

• Like 1

Haha, yeah, I've owned diesels up to 274k miles on the original injectors so hopefully these ones aren't worn yet, especially when they're so expensive to replace! :laugh:  I do appreciate the suggestion though lol!

I don't know why everyone's focussed (no pun intended!) on the smoke, it's not that often, no smoke issues while thrashing it around which is most of the time lol, it's just after extended town traffic periods which I tend to avoid as much as possible. 

The idea of DPFs is great on paper, but unfortunately I don't drive on paper. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I thought you "Fixed" your DPF Tom?

Ive had inconsistent response from the car since I had the DPF "Fixed" it might have been there before and perhaps I just never noticed it. anyhow, even today I was driving along at 65 in 5th and put my foot down hard to overtake and it felt like there was little extra power available, but 10 min later, same situation and she sailed up to 80 odd in 5th whilst pressing me in to the seat in a heart beat.  There is definitely something going on, my money is on some kinda lean mode. 

This is the grill.

WP_20160514_17_50_36_Pro.jpg

You know DPFs aren't a discussion for public lol. :wink:   The lack of power issue was present before anything happened there though.

Those grills look great tbh, not sure how I've not seen them before!!  :unsure:  Hate the grey ones on mine, look awful against a black car.  Also, when did you get projectors lol? 

Haha, yeah, I don't think the DPF has anything todo with it, I still think heat soak played a part, esp driving in slow traffic, that was what appeared to get better after changing the grills,

the new grills look much better and there doesn't seem to be any chips or damage over the last 6 months so they seem pretty well built.

the projectors were one of those projects that grew legs and ended up costing a fortune!  they aren't OE, they are reflector lamps with a morimoto mini H1 projector installed. couldn't resist adding a little extra something to the car to scare the neighbours walking their dogs at night....

WP_20160513_20_15_20_Pro_LI.jpg

they are linked to the footwell lights :) yes yes geek I know but it puts a smile on my face

• Like 1

Haha, that's awesome tbh!! :laugh:

Where do you get those grills then?  Expensive?

They were a pure pain in the !Removed! to do, well, that's not strictly true, they were easy once I gave up trying to crack open the ford lamps and brought some after market lamps from Drop, I think I wrecked about 4 head lamps in total trying to get them open.  It would have been cheaper buying OE xenon lamps, but if I were to do it again with depo lamps, its dead easy! :)

got the grills from this chap

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UNDERGROUND-PARTS-LTD/FORD-/_i.html?_fsub=3242339018&_sid=147635158&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The silly prices are because he doesn't have any left just now, but I think it was about 70 quid or there abouts.

• Like 1