Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed the case of my remote key fob, car won't start

djsubtronic

Hi guys. My key fob had worn out to the point where the flip mechanism wouldn't work so I ordered a new key fob case off eBay and switched the circuitry and key into  the new case. The remote buttons work fine but I can no longer start the car with this key (works fine with the spare non remote key), so I'm guessing the immobiliser chip has somehow stopped working.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, djsubtronic said:

Hi guys. My key fob had worn out to the point where the flip mechanism wouldn't work so I ordered a new key fob case off ebay and switched the circuitry and key into  the new case. The remote buttons work fine but I can no longer start the car with this key (works fine with the spare non remote key), so I'm guessing the immobiliser chip has somehow stopped working.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? 

Thanks 

have you transferd the chip to the new case

1 hour ago, mrmetallica said:

have you transferd the chip to the new case

I transferred the green circuit board... I couldn't see anything else inside the old case. Where is the chip exactly?

Edit: ooh found a little black thing in the upper section next to the flip button. I guess that's what I didn't move across. Thanks!

Poat a picture of your key fob and we'll point it out to you.

Sent from my SM-G930F

23 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Poat a picture of your key fob and we'll point it out to you.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I found the chip and transferred it, all good now. I thought the chip was part of the circuit board so I never looked properly before :)

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted.

Sent from my SM-G930F

1 hour ago, djsubtronic said:

I transferred the green circuit board... I couldn't see anything else inside the old case. Where is the chip exactly?

Edit: ooh found a little black thing in the upper section next to the flip button. I guess that's what I didn't move across. Thanks!

no probs

John do you have the remote fobs similar to these? Could you show where the chip is located, I have similar issue with one key but can't find anything else apart from the circuit board and the battery in the "remote" part and just the key in the top part.   

focus keys.jpg

1 hour ago, FFD said:

John do you have the remote fobs similar to these? Could you show where the chip is located, I have similar issue with one key but can't find anything else apart from the circuit board and the battery in the "remote" part and just the key in the top part.   

focus keys.jpg

i dont know where they hide them just know they have them sorry

55 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

i dont know where they hide them just know they have them sorry

Sorry, I didn't pay attention enough thought you were the person who started the thread but thanks for your reply anyway.    

I should have asked djsubtronic off course as he mentioned he has found the chip.

This type of folding key has the PATS chip embedded inside the key part of the folding key. On original keys the key part is glued during production and is very hard to take apart without major damage.

Aftermarket folding key housings should also be glued after the PATS chip is transferred to the new housing. This will make the key a lot stronger.

12 minutes ago, FFD said:

Sorry, I didn't pay attention enough thought you were the person who started the thread but thanks for your reply anyway.    

I should have asked djsubtronic off course as he mentioned he has found the chip.

thats just what i was thinking lol

15 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

This type of folding key has the PATS chip embedded inside the key part of the folding key. On original keys the key part is glued during production and is very hard to take apart without major damage.

Aftermarket folding key housings should also be glued after the PATS chip is transferred to the new housing. This will make the key a lot stronger.

Brilliant! Would never have thought it would sit in there. Have just cracked open the flip key part and have located the chip. Many thanks!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club