Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol smell

Jez850

Hi All,

When my GF is driving her Mk4 with the windows open a smell of petrol enters the car. Upon investigation the smell seems to come from the filler area but not the filler itself. I cannot see any evidence of a leak anywhere and the exhaust does not seem to be blowing. Does anyone know of any weaknesses in this area - maybe the filler pipe?

Any smell of fuel warrants a serious look around, just follow your nose! Look under the car ? Fuel pipes ? Fuel filter ? Signs of past leakage ?

Or maybe the car was over filled with fuel and being thrown out as you drive ?

• Like 2

My old mk4 did this too but only after brimming the tank with fuel. Did she just fill it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a good look for rust at the fuel tank and filler pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

55 minutes ago, dave1987 said:

My old mk4 did this too but only after brimming the tank with fuel. Did she just fill it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not over filled still same quarter tank to three quarter tank. I have smelt petrol though so will check rust at fuel tank and filter pipe. Thanks guys for your input   

Sorry as newbie just getting started on replies etc. Thanks for input will follow suggestions on fuel tank and filter pipe 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for late reply and thanks to all who have helped with advice. The smell is intermittent and is not as a result of overfilling. She periodically gets the engine management code for fuel tank air pressure/leak, which normally resets ok after reseating the filler cap. Maybe there is a leak somewhere after all. There is some light surface rust on the tank near the filler but no smell there. Will the filler cap neck be visible if I remove the wheel arch cover?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club