Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sync and Navigation Updates?

JRMA85

I have just got from Ford the 2014 Zetec Focus and so far all is good. But I know the maps and sync software might be out of date. 

I can see on the US site you can download them free but you cant get them in the UK. I also saw someone in this forum on their Fiesta used the India Ford site and installed updates from that site which worked. It worries me doing that though in case the software is not compatible with the U.K. Model of my car. Or are they all universal...? 

Has anyone managed to do this themselves or can recommend where to get updates from? I refuse to pay my local dealer £80 for them to update software and maps on my car. The car is under warranty with them so makes me laugh software updates aren't covered unless I can prove a fault to make them update it ha ha. 

Only the SYNC 1.1 (SYC with APPlink) can be updated from USB. The correct files can be obtained from the Ford India website. You need an account for this so you have to be creative and enter an adress in India. After being logged in you can download the update files based on VIN number. It is very important to use the correct VIN number.

The SYNC 1.0 system can not be updated from USB. This system can only be updated by a Ford dealer.

The navigation maps are stored on a SD-card which is inserted into the display. This system is very well protected. This protection is used by Bosch/Blaupunkt for many years and until now has never been cracked. It is not possible to copy the SD-cards in any way. If you want new maps you have to buy a new SD-card. Ford uses maps from TeleAtlas which is currently owned by tomtom. The SD-cards can be bought from a Ford dealer or from a tomtom dealer.

• Like 2

latest sd card is v6, eBay or ford dealer.

Thank you guys. How do I know what version of Sync I have? The firmware I see on my unit says U_04.00.07 if that helps? Is this the latest you know? 

Also so thanks for the tip about the maps. I will have a look on eBay now for the SD card. But I never saw an SD card slot on my head unit though. Will check now.... 

OK I found the SD card slot above the screen and my maps SD card is 4.1 western maps. 

Not sure what sync I have though. I have attached a pic if anyone knows? 

image.jpeg

So I just signed up on India.ford.com and it stated a new update was available. So I have downloaded it and plugged into car and now my sync is updating. Been 15 mins so far and still not completed the sync reboot. Seems to take forever with no progress. Should have done this tomorrow instead of 11pm at night! Lol. 

it will take a while, when a ford dealer do it ,they leave engine running while updating so no drop in battery voltage as too much of a voltage drop while updating can stop the process.

OK the update has now completed and everything is working. It wipes your paired phones and phone book but no issue it was to pair again. 

The new software version is v5.9. The info screen still says U_04.00.07 so I don't think this is the version you need to go by. I checked on the website and ford India now says latest software v5.9 is installed in my car after I reported my successful update. 

Wohoo! :-) 

• Like 3

And would just like to add... Why on earth would I have paid Ford UK £80 to do what I did in 45 mins!

If anyone from Ford reads this please do what US and India do and release software updates to customers of yours that have spent thousands on your cars and products! (Rant over) 

• Like 2

it is supposed to be happening, but when?? no idea.

I am going to email them and ask 

they will say the same.

They will say coming  soon  they all ways say this I have had my focus 4 years now and still no sync update from uk web site .

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a schedule for sat nav updates?

I.e when will f5 be upgraded to f6.

New maps are released once a Year usually arround February/March.

Ford Australia have said they will give free updates to all sync 2&3 users, even to owners of 2nd hand cars.

• Like 1

Pity we won't see that offer here.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I used the India/Australian websites to update my Sync2. Perfectly alright as they are the same software as what we have, and my local Ford dealer actually mentioned it to me himself because they aren't allowed to do any software updates on the touch screen portion of the car apparently. It doesn't void your warranty either.

Simple task of registering with your VIN, and it then gives you the download, and then once complete you plug the memory stick back in and update back to Ford the log file ready for the next update as and when they release it.

On 29/08/2016 at 4:00 PM, Stoney871 said:

Pity we won't see that offer here.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I contacted Ford via Twitter today and it is apparently under consideration? Won't hold my breath however.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have just tried to register on the india site and when it asks for the VIN it comes up saying the car is not for this country

Google update Sync the easy way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2017 at 7:43 PM, gingertom said:

Hi

I have just tried to register on the india site and when it asks for the VIN it comes up saying the car is not for this country

I have just done the same thing, and got the same reply, how do we get updates from the Australian Ford Site ?

12 hours ago, huey45 said:

I have just done the same thing, and got the same reply, how do we get updates from the Australian Ford Site ?

They've recently changed their websites in India and Australia and it appears that they have gotten wise to us UK/Europeans using their system to download the updates.

The next best thing is to get someone from Auz or India to help us out I guess!

• 11 months later...
They've recently changed their websites in India and Australia and it appears that they have gotten wise to us UK/Europeans using their system to download the updates.
The next best thing is to get someone from Auz or India to help us out I guess!
You can update yourselves. See "update sync the easy way" thread.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk