Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP- power train warning light on

Taylor22

Was just driving to work and noticed the warning light on the dash, also a message saying 'engine malfunction, service now'. Checked owners manual and it said it was the power train warning light and that if it was on the car may drive but with reduced power, any ideas what could be causing this as I won't be able to get it to the garage until Monday. It's a 1.6 tdci engine. 

2 hours ago, DieselPig said:

Probably dirty oil, when is the service due?

Just been serviced 6 weeks ago. All filters and oil changed so can't be that. 

switch ign on, the press and hold brake and accelerator pedal together down for 30 secs or so. , see if that puts the warning off. (may be service due wasnt reset at service)

I've had the service light come up before. It isn't that. It's the power train fault light that's came up and car has gone into limp mode. Something is definitely up. I've heard other people have had similar issues and maybe glow plugs. Just wondered if it could be anything else. 

it could be anything then. back to the garage .

1 hour ago, Taylor22 said:

power train fault light that's came up and car has gone into limp mode.

Like Ian says, there are a huge range of possibilities.

If you want some guidance before taking it to the garage, and just possibly it could be some simple sensor you can fix yourself, you need a diagnostic system.

For some info on this, See:

• Like 1

Was low on fuel so went to fill up. About a minute after leaving petrol station light went off and power came back, hoping it was just the crap in the bottom of the tank triggering a sensor and that it won't come back. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taylor22 said:

bottom of the tank triggering a sensor and that it won't come back

Possible, but seems a bit unlikely to me. It could be an intermittent electrical fault.

Air in the fuel filter (not fully bled at service) could just possibly cause problems with a low tank level, see if it returns.

I strongly advise getting a diagnostic aid of some sort, the code behind that warning lamp could be very helpful.

Even if this problem does not come back, it will only be a matter of time before something else crops up. Just having some clue as to the cause is a big step forward.

Peter.

It's early days so could return. Ill wait and see if it does, I've ordered an St though so I'll be part exing this one when it's delivered end of September so as long as it doesn't come back on until then I won't bother I don't think. 

Still worth getting a ODB2 reader though, I have found it VERY useful for my cars - also worth avoiding the 1.6 TDCI/DV6 engine unless it has a perfect service history and is always running high grade oil etc.

1 hour ago, Taylor22 said:

I've ordered an St though

Like David says, diagnostic aids are very useful, the ST has the same diagnostic interface, and has at least an equal number of bits to go wrong! Ok while you have a warranty, but cars do have an annoying habit of going wrong the moment the warranty expires!

Good luck, hope you enjoy the new car.

Peter.

Only 4 year old and full service history. I might look into getting one. Just read some cheap ones don't always get the codes up that you have wrong. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Taylor22 said:

Just read some cheap ones don't always get the codes up that you have wrong.

Generic OBD2 readers are very limited. With a Ford, you have the option of a program like Forscan, an extremely comprehensive maintenance & diagnosis tool. Just follow my link (above) to "kangarooing"(?!), and then on to James's guide.

I have the paid version of 'Torque' its a very good app and has been working really well to diagnose codes and allow for resetting etc - I think there is also a version of Fordscan you can get, but I am sticking with the paid Torque app.

I'm on downloading torque now, how do I connect it up? 

4 hours ago, Taylor22 said:

I'm on downloading torque now, how do I connect it up? 

Using a basic bluetooth OBD2 dongle, you basically pair the ODB2 dongle with your phone, the app can then use this to communicate with the ECU to pull fault codes etc - only a few £s on eBay, considering some garages charge £££s just to read the codes its a worthwhile investment!

• 4 years later...
On 7/9/2016 at 9:12 PM, Taylor22 said:

I've had the service light come up before. It isn't that. It's the power train fault light that's came up and car has gone into limp mode. Something is definitely up. I've heard other people have had similar issues and maybe glow plugs. Just wondered if it could be anything else. 

It's most probably the EGR,(EXGAUST GAS RECIRCULATION CONTROL CIRCUIT)

it came on for me on the dash,I used EGR CARBON spray into the turbo,someone needs to hold gas pedal down at least on 2000rpm,and spray it short bursts if say 5 secs then stop,then repeat fir 5 secs,after you've used all the canister,this will trip another warning light,but it will go off,as the EGR will have been cleaned if the carbon and all the soot that sticks to THE EGR unit,uts very sensitive,its wise to use 2 ir 3 cans with the revs on 2000rpm you'll notice black carbon smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Showing you just how dirty the EGR gets with carbon build up.

If it comes on again,use more canisters (1 at a time) until no black carbon is noticed on the drive ir tarmac whetever you're doing it,I did mine outside the shop I work in,and the concrete was so black,that's bust after using 1 can of EGR cleaner,it saves buying new unit of £200+ the canisters cist ne about £2:99 and always fixes the power train warning light.

Hope this helps,any mire info get in touch again.

I'm actually removing mine to clean it tomorrow,not sure if my dpf would enjoy those cleaners so I am opting for a different approach.

Plus I can't afford it 😉

When I had my powertrain warning light it was due to a Woman fitter at Halfords piggybacking off the Engine Management fuse for my Satnav installation.      (I knew I should have turned round and left the store on arrival)

The car behaved in a weird way, kangaroo jumping and heavy steering.

Needless to say won't be trusting Halfords again, or the Women that cocked up the installation.

• 4 weeks later...

My missus fiesta went into limp mode last night and the drive train warning light came on. I've had the same issue in automatic vehicles and it has been low transmission fluid every time. I decided to try this method on her 5 speed manual, as all gearboxes need lubricant, light hasn't come on again and it shifts smoother then ever. The fill plug is inside the black plastic cover and you need an 8mm Alan key with the car jacked level

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2016 at 10:34 AM, Taylor22 said:

Was low on fuel so went to fill up. About a minute after leaving petrol station light went off and power came back, hoping it was just the crap in the bottom of the tank triggering a sensor and that it won't come back. 

It’s the carburator has the same issue even if you change it it’s the same thing the problem is the petrol quality if you use brands like BP INSTEAD of Tesco and Morrisons you will be fine 

• 1 year later...

I've just got myself a 1.4 tdci and the eml was on. I know it was the map sensor. Anyway my car has a powertrain light on and says engine service now. It is due a oil change but just wondered what else it could be as I've heard it could be oil change overdue which it probably is 

7 hours ago, owenmctiernan said:

and says engine service now

On ANY Ford car the message "Engine service Now" actually means "Engine FAULT, take to garage NOW"

It is confusing and is constantly misinterpreted as meaning the car wants a 'Service' which is not the case.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club