Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 diesel stating issues

skragamuffin

hi all help needed i have looked through the forums and cant find anything like my problem :sad:

after a fuel filter change (it was filled b4 hand) i have had issues starting the car. when cranking the car over from cold for about 15-20 seconds nothing but turning the key off and cranking again for 10-20 seconds she fires into life and off we go when hot it will fire the first cranking but may still require 10-20 seconds before she runs i dont think there is air in the system because of what i understand if there was air present it wouldn't fire up and run????? correct or not???? could there still be a little air present and if so how can i get rid ?????

i have another issue that may be why the above is a problem and that is the glow plug light flashes and she goes into limp mode and most times immediately cuts out dead as a door nail and its either a restart or jump start as were going along this can happen at any speed ie:- 30-70+mph this can happen 3 times in a row  i have changed the camshaft sensor to no really any noticeable effect i have also blanked off the egr valve this has helped a great deal the limp mode and cutting out has dropped considerably but still happens the car seems more lively responsive and is smoking less

so due to above comments i was wondering if it could be air in the fuel a faulty pump or maybe the egr valve also needs a clean as well as blocking off ???? any and all help would be much appreciated oh the car has done aprox 102000 and as far as im aware was owned from new by a guy who worked for ford and he serviced it himself i purchased it from second owner who was the first owners nephew and the second owner is a friend of a friend so i have little doubt the service history story is true 

thank you for taking the trouble to read 

7 hours ago, skragamuffin said:

glow plug light flashes and she goes into limp mode

To find out the cause really needs some diagnostic tools.

A 2002 diesel may pre-date OBD2, so standard OBD2 scanners will not work.

But Forscan and an ELM327 does work with most Fords, including Mk1 Focus, I believe.

James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

For more help, post here. Also what engine do you have?

were there an metal filings or any small metal particles in the old filter? if so it could be your fuel pump going, I had exact same on a 2004 focus tdci it was gonna cost loads so I got rid, I hope in your case its just air but you need to get the codes read first 

On 10/07/2016 at 7:11 PM, skragamuffin said:

maybe the egr valve also needs a clean as well as blocking off

EGR valve is unlikely to prevent starting. As the exhaust gas is just air, it should make no difference whether it is open or closed. Symptoms sound a bit severe to be EGR related.

Not sure it will help, but what engine is it? (I think Mk1 Focus had more than 1 diesel variant).

Hi won't be egr valve, when you say new filter fitted did you dip the new one in fuel first before fitted to car?

this can cause air lock only know this coz I made the same mistake lol.

had to losen the injectors n get air out with airline was a pain 

hi guys the fuel filter was filled from the bottom with diesel and left to settle and refilled a few times to make sure it was filled to the brim then fitted into car the caps taken off from the in, out and return nipples and again filled to the brim just to make sure she fired and ran fine left running for 5 mins or so at abt 2000 rpm then at tickover for 10+ minutes, as for diagnostics i has been on one 3 times and as far as the cars concerned everythigs fine lol  

the engine is an endura c170 115ps tci s if thats any help

and thanks guys for taking the time to reply

Not sure then tbh mate I would get codes if it's not air lock as you done it all right so shouldn't be air in there.

unless there bit dirt got sucked I and agree with tdci Peter won't be egr as that just be same as starting your car with foot down on the throttle.

hooe nothing major mate

On 10/07/2016 at 7:11 PM, skragamuffin said:

could there still be a little air present and if so how can i get rid

I think I would investigate the cutting out & glow plug light problem first, there could be a link to the slow starting problem.

But one thing that could cause poor starting is a little air getting into the fuel system, while the engine is stopped. A bit of leakage around the filter sealing gasket would do it, or a leak in the filter vent port, or in the hose connections.

As some of these diesels have no tank fuel pump (mine does not), there is no easy way to diagnose this, that I can think of. Check the tightness of the filter canister, but be careful, over-tightening may damage it, or make it very hard to remove. Being mounted high in the car, these points are usually under negative pressure (suction), so it is unlikely that diesel will leak out.

Pressurising the pipe into the filter with a priming bulb or pump might push diesel out through a leak, but it would be a very small amount.

Note: The 1.8 diesel fuel system is self-priming on the high pressure side of the pump, air there just goes back to the tank. But it is very vulnerable to air on the low pressure (filter) side of the pump. Also in any work on the filter, be very careful not to allow dirt into the pipe from filter to the main pump. That could be expensive!

Would this not be injector? Did u replace the o ring on the top of the canister when doing the filter? Is the seal sitting right under the cap? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club