Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow Chains

Lawsy66

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on snow chains for a S-Max 2.2 TDCI with 225/50/17" tyres. The handbook says no snow chains due to clearance issues.

My understanding is that autosocks are not legal in the French Alps during winter and the only other option appears to be a set of fairly expensive Spike Spyders (or something similar) which retail at £260+.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Lawsy66

• 2 months later...

Got myself some Goodyear snowsocks for about £60. Though by the time they had arrived, the snow had gone - will let you know how they are next time it snows ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're off skiing, you're far better off getting winter tyres put on 16" steel wheels - you can order them ready mounted from mytyres.co.uk. Chains will then fit with no problems. You'll feel much more secure on icy roads that you couldn't use chains on.

Chris

I've got the same problem = 225/50/R17 wheels

Buying even 2 winter tires seems like overkill for a 1 week trip.

Does anyone know if low profile chains or snowsocks would work on tires this size despite what the handbook says?

I've got the same problem = 225/50/R17 wheels

Buying even 2 winter tires seems like overkill for a 1 week trip.

Does anyone know if low profile chains or snowsocks would work on tires this size despite what the handbook says?

Well, after the first flurry of snow since getting my snowsocks, I can report a great success! Pretty easy to put on, despite little clearance in the wheelarch, and in 1/2 inch of really slippy snow it got up our hill without breaking a sweat. Despite putting my foot down and breaking hard I didn't get the traction control or antilock mechanism to kick in. Without them I would have been spinning and sliding for a metre or two. In fact it instilled a false sense of security and I will have to be careful not to break too hard with them on.

Only downside is that I will have to take them off on clear gritted roads or (apparently) the fabric will wear out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after the first flurry of snow since getting my snowsocks, I can report a great success! Pretty easy to put on, despite little clearance in the wheelarch, and in 1/2 inch of really slippy snow it got up our hill without breaking a sweat. Despite putting my foot down and breaking hard I didn't get the traction control or antilock mechanism to kick in. Without them I would have been spinning and sliding for a metre or two. In fact it instilled a false sense of security and I will have to be careful not to break too hard with them on.

Only downside is that I will have to take them off on clear gritted roads or (apparently) the fabric will wear out.

no snow chains will work with the car theres not enough clearance even on lower profile snow socks are what is recommended not sure on individual laws but most countries are avoiding chains as they damage the roads and to be honest they aint to good on the suspension either