Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do I disassemble the front foglights on an mk5?

beethoven

I want to diassemble the foglights to install LED's

I suspect it's like the mk4, if you look under the fog light bumper area on the under tray you will find 2 large holes that allow entry to the mounting screws for the fog lights

• Like 1

I was under the impression it was a bumper off job, I know to change the bulbs you can access the rear of the unit by pulling back the wheel arch liner but not sure if there is enough room to get to the retaining screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

to remove the lamp assy, you need to just remove the front undertray/trim (19screws/bolts and 4 clips) then 2 bolts/screws hold lamp in

I think I know the units Beethoven is planning and I'm very tempted myself! Are you getting the units with integrated turn signal? I think that's what I would go for, have to start saving/hiding my money from SWMBO

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I think I know the units Beethoven is planning and I'm very tempted myself! Are you getting the units with integrated turn signal? I think that's what I would go for, have to start saving/hiding my money from SWMBO

No, you're wrong :sleep:

I just want to change the bulbs into LED-bulbs.

So, no I am not getting the units with integrated turn signal :wink:

Would be nice, though, but I don't think it is allowed in Belgium (MOT)

BTW:I have turn signals in the mirrors

5 hours ago, iantt said:

to remove the lamp assy, you need to just remove the front undertray/trim (19screws/bolts and 4 clips) then 2 bolts/screws hold lamp in

:w00t:

Ah I see, I didn't realise it was illegal why is that?

I have turn signals in the mirrors too but if I was going to change the whole unit then I would get the ones with integrated indicators.

To just swap out the bulbs I believe you can access these by removing the pins in the wheel arch liner, wheel at full lock and peel the liner back.

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Ah I see, I didn't realise it was illegal why is that?

Regulations.......I guess. I could ask,though, but I'm afraid they say no.

Just like lowering springs, drilled&grooved brake disks, more powerfull calipers.(bigger disks).......it all increases the safety of the car, but in Belgium, they say NO, not without certificates, if you want changes, you'll pay for it, extra expensive MOT etc.....

For example in Holland, none of all this is necessary

Belgium........lousy country:sad:

I had no idea about any of this, seems like madness

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

How the Fog lieghts LED working for you? Are they brighter? Can you see more with them?

On 6/5/2019 at 5:42 PM, Henriii said:

How the Fog lieghts LED working for you? Are they brighter? Can you see more with them?

Unless an LED bulb is fitted to a lens/unit designed for LED the "throw" or effective light output i.e. how much you can see will likely be less than halogen, on the flip side oncoming drivers will get to see your nice bright LEDs and see how cool they look! 😀