Do Not Sell My Personal Information

monde tit x 2.0d battery drain

bladeage

Hi all,

Just brought myself a very cheap ex trade in 2007 (mk4) monde tit x 2.0d to replace my old mk3, got it home and done some TLC and finding it to be a very nice car, really love it !

Just one small problem that I can't get to the bottom of is the age old problem of the intermittent battery drain they sometimes suffer from, only done it once so far but not ideal really, so asking if anyone here has seen or heard of a fix for it?

Cheers ,

Paul.

Common fault. Could be the alternator.

What exactly happens? what message do you get?

mondeo 2007 mk4 2.0 tdci titanium x

Hi Ash,

I drove it back from portsmouth to sheffield the other day when I picked it up with no problem at all,

1.the driver side window control console wasn't working,

2. it has a message saying the alarm needs servicing

3. engine light is on

I parked the car up after a long drive/day and came back to fix the bits in the morning, the car would not open on the keyless fob so opened it with the blade, got in and there was absolutely no power at all, I put the battery on charge for a couple of hours and it then sprang into life and has started every day since with no problem.

1. I fixed the driver door module and found a broken power wire (thick black one) in the door harness connector, that is now all good.

2. The "alarm needs servicing message" is probably the alarm/siren back up battery in the passenger wheel arch and will order a new unit when I get around to taking the inner arch n/s front off.

3. engine light,I have no idea yet as I have had to order a new obd II scanner, pretty sure that it is not an engine/running problem as all drives well. The brake pads and discs are brand new so think it may have a broken wheel sensor etc?

I have spent a good few hours looking at forums about the battery discharge problem and even after all this time it seems that there is no definitive answer for it? I read that it could be a power wire going to the alternator somewhere but then got confused as someone wrote it was the starter motor power wire, also read that it could be the engine earth (engine to chassis) that could be shorting and causing the drain, I have experienced this before so will check when I service it tomorrow.

any other ideas gratefully received !

Could be many things. Can you measure some voltages (off charge, on charge (nominally...with the engine running, so that it should be charging) with not much load and on charge (say 2000 rpm) but with a fairly heavy load, such as the heated front screen, on.

At this point it could be the alternator not charging the battery properly (and there could be several reasons for that) the battery being shot and not having much capacity (very plausible given the age of the vehicle if it is the original battery or a totally unsuitable battery has been fitted) or something discharging the battery by taking a current when the vehicle is off; ideally you would want to narrow it down rather than just replacing things at random until something happens to work.

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

Could be many things. Can you measure some voltages (off charge, on charge (nominally...with the engine running, so that it should be charging) with not much load and on charge (say 2000 rpm) but with a fairly heavy load, such as the heated front screen, on.

At this point it could be the alternator not charging the battery properly (and there could be several reasons for that) the battery being shot and not having much capacity (very plausible given the age of the vehicle if it is the original battery or a totally unsuitable battery has been fitted) or something discharging the battery by taking a current when the vehicle is off; ideally you would want to narrow it down rather than just replacing things at random until something happens to work.

Hi, yes, thanks for the input, the car is charging perfectly on the drive and the alternator seems fine on output, the battery looks pretty new and is taking charge fine and holding it, nothing replaced at random as yet and am doing a narrowing it down thing! I know the alarm sounder is not working as I did the window down ignition off thing for 5 minutes and the indicators flash when the alarm goes off but no sound etc, meaning that the alarm sounder is knackered....leading to the message on the dashboard saying "alarm service" needed, could be the battery back up in the alarm too, so will buy a second hand unit when I find the part code and fit it....approx £20 second hand.

I am  going to check for faulty grounds when I service it tomorrow.....engine fuse box, engine ground,battery ground, defo intermittent as this is a one owner car with history and 120k so this is a new problem not old.

12 hours ago, bladeage said:

2. it has a message saying the alarm needs servicing

3. engine light is on

Could there be a link between the alarm message & battery drain?

Is the alarm aftermarket, or standard Ford?.

If it is Ford, it may well contain diagnostic information, but an OBD2 scanner will not see it.

For that you need a Ford specific system like Forscan.

For more info, see my reply to:

Peter.

Hi all,

The scanner I ordered arrived this morning (pro scan v350). I plugged it in and found that there was only one stored code ....P2002.... I understand having read some posts that this code is probably down to a broken hose on the DPF, anyone had any experience with this? I cleared the code and the eml light has now gone off .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bladeage said:

one stored code ....P2002

fault code p2002 - missing DPF filter /low sensor reading

Most likely cause is cracked, leaking, broken hoses from DPF to the DP sensor. It could be duff sensor, bad connection to sensor, or damaged DPF. Some people ram a hole in the DPF element to avoid replacing it. This could well cause low sensor reading error.

I think the Mondeo DP sensor is either on the engine bay bulhead (poss near battery), or inside the passenger side front wheel arch.

Maybe it will stay off for a while once cleared. I do not know what the criteria for "low reading" is, the pcm may learn the value, and get confused if it drops unexpectedly.

Peter.

1 minute ago, Tdci-Peter said:

fault code p2002 - missing DPF filter /low sensor reading

Most likely cause is cracked, leaking, broken hoses from DPF to the DP sensor. It could be duff sensor, bad connection to sensor, or damaged DPF. Some people ram a hole in the DPF element to avoid replacing it. This could well cause low sensor reading error.

I think the Mondeo DP sensor is either on the engine bay bulhead (poss near battery), or inside the passenger side front wheel arch.

Maybe it will stay off for a while once cleared. I do not know what the criteria for "low reading" is, the pcm may learn the value, and get confused if it drops unexpectedly.

Peter.

awaiting delivery of some oil today so when it arrives I will get it up on the ramps and take a look,hopefully its just the pipe or sensor but to be honest I got the car for relative pennies expecting to spend a few quid when I got it home, but so far I have fixed the driver door electrics (broken wire), brought a new n/s fog light, second hand alarm sounder/battery back up and just a full service kit. everything else appears to be good so far, any idea what the average miles of a clutch on these will do, it's just rolled on to 121k so I am aware that the cam belt and pump will need changing in 4k.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bladeage said:

any idea what the average miles of a clutch on these will do

Nope!

Hugely dependent on driving style. Some people can burn out a clutch in under 30k miles, others can make it last way over 100k. So depends on the previous owners!

For cam belt, I would be inclined not to wait the extra 4k, do it now if in the slightest doubt! Expensive (or time consuming), but much more expensive if it goes!

Wise words Peter, you are right, will order a kit this afternoon, .........£75 for the full kit on eBay, any idea how long it takes to change?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bladeage said:

any idea how long it takes to change?

Iantt is the one to ask about that, except if he gives you his time, I would multiply it by about 10 times if I was doing it!laugh.png

• Like 1

"For cam belt, I would be inclined not to wait the extra 4k, do it now if in the slightest doubt! Expensive (or time consuming), but much more expensive if it goes!"

I have to second that; for most people buying a car in this situation they will only change the cam belt once so it doesn't cost them any more to change it as soon as is sensible (like now).

It might be an idea to lst what problems you still have after you've done this work because I'm getting a bit confused about which problems you still have and which have now gone away.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2016 at 7:26 PM, BOF said:

"For cam belt, I would be inclined not to wait the extra 4k, do it now if in the slightest doubt! Expensive (or time consuming), but much more expensive if it goes!"

I have to second that; for most people buying a car in this situation they will only change the cam belt once so it doesn't cost them any more to change it as soon as is sensible (like now).

It might be an idea to lst what problems you still have after you've done this work because I'm getting a bit confused about which problems you still have and which have now gone away.

BOF,I brought the car with the following faults....

Driver door electric window/multi function console was not working ....fixed a broken wire in the "A" post to door connector ,now all working.

EML light was on.....brought a new scanner and it pointed at the DPF, it turned out to be a perished and hanging off vacuum hose, replaced and all good now.

The convers screen says, alarm service needed.....I haven't had time to remove the battery back up sounder behind the passenger wing as yet and when I do I will get a new battery off eBay and re-solder in, since I turned the interior alarm sensor off on the convers the battery has not gone flat again at all so I am hoping that the battery drain I had is connected to the alarm sounder not working/charging ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club