Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full engine rebuild but won't start

Daveparf

After a cam lobe slipped on my 2.2 tdci transit I got a reconditioned cylinder head and rebuilt the engine with new shells and rings and so on... The engine was still running before the rebuild but on 3 cylinders so not sure why it's not now.

i had a diognostics test done and all it come back with was (cam and crank sensors not synced) I don't understand this as I set the timing with a new chain kit and with a timing tool kit which made the job fool proof.

i have fit new cam sensor and crank sensor but no luck.

any advise would we appreciated as it doing my head in now lol

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out it was a bad connection on the glow plug wiring.

van runs perfect now!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Daveparf said:

It turns out it was a bad connection on the glow plug wiring.

Nice to hear the feedback. I saw this topic some time ago but had no answer.

Bit scary though. I am always advising people to get some diagnostic aids. Although I am well aware that the codes can be a little misleading sometimes, linking cam & crank sensors not synced to glow plug wiring is a bit of a jump. Is there an underlying link, or was it two separate faults?

Peter.

On 24 July 2016 at 11:30 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

Nice to hear the feedback. I saw this topic some time ago but had no answer.

Bit scary though. I am always advising people to get some diagnostic aids. Although I am well aware that the codes can be a little misleading sometimes, linking cam & crank sensors not synced to glow plug wiring is a bit of a jump. Is there an underlying link, or was it two separate faults?

Peter.

well Peter at first it wouldn't run at all even with easy start, it would knock and fire a few times but I wouldn't call it running.

I then put the old crank sensor back in, The engine would run but it still needed easy start to get going, so that turned my attention to the glow plugs and that's when I found the bad connection.

so yes I had two separate faults 

1. New crank sensor (faulty)

2. Bad connection on glow plugs 

Dave

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club