Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Just after some advice for a friend

Ianb

A friend of mine has a work van he wants to stick a screened stereo in particularly for a rear view camera - he's asked me for any recommendations on something "cheap"...

He's not to fussed about any brands - just basically after something cheap for a camera... I looked on eBay and there seems to be A LOT of cheap double dins at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-HD-Bluetooth-2Din-Car-Stereo-Radio-Touch-Screen-FM-MP5-Player-Rearview-Ca-/331883897897

Just wondering if there is anything anyone can spot on things like that? I've looked about and I can't spot anything - but then I don't really know what I'm looking for... seems like it's going to be fairly low quality to some extent, but if high quality isn't a requirement do you guys reckon this would suffice?!?

There is cheap and there is CHEAP, quite frankly for that price I would say it would be a big disappointment, the image quality would likely be very poor. Let alone the sound quality and build quality.

Does it need to be a stereo or would a rear view mirror with rear cam function do or a fairly decent camera and dash mounted screen purely for the reverse view?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ianb said:

I can not comment on the radio/cam, except to say that the images on the web site of the screen look extraordinarily good quality! (Too good to be real?)

But what I do absolutely love is the completely bonkers range of goodies that most of these Chinese (or Hong Kong) sellers advertise, From "sexy choker ties skinny" to "SQ8 mini DV camera". It could make a very frustrating edition of Only Connect!biggrin.png

It is towards the top end of the price range that I would buy from China direct. I have bought quite a few cheap bits that way, mostly fine, but one (a Ni-MH cell) was useless. Since it was only about £1.50, I just bought another from elsewhere. Something costing £40, I would prefer to get from a UK supplier (even if Chinese goods in origin), but it will cost more (often >2x) for the same thing if of UK supply.

18 hours ago, Ianb said:

A friend of mine has a work van he wants to stick a screened stereo in particularly for a rear view camera - he's asked me for any recommendations on something "cheap"...

He's not to fussed about any brands - just basically after something cheap for a camera... I looked on ebay and there seems to be A LOT of cheap double dins at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-HD-Bluetooth-2Din-Car-Stereo-Radio-Touch-Screen-FM-MP5-Player-Rearview-Ca-/331883897897

Just wondering if there is anything anyone can spot on things like that? I've looked about and I can't spot anything - but then I don't really know what I'm looking for... seems like it's going to be fairly low quality to some extent, but if high quality isn't a requirement do you guys reckon this would suffice?!?

Xtrons are cheap 

have a UK based warehouse of stock aswell and accept PayPal on there website.

as for choosing a camera I recommend connects2 for the best range of factory looking cameras there model specific 

Hmmm, I've had a look at some of the xtrons, I suppose you're right there guys. Xtrons are cheap - but not THAT cheap, so there is probably a standard there. Also Peter, I thought the same thing - buy it once, it's not right when it arrives 2 weeks later, have to send it back at cost, after a while get an eBay refund then eventually go buy something for the right kind of money..

Lenny, I've seen xtrons for less than £100 on eBay, they seem ok?

• Like 1

That strikes me as way too cheap for what they're claiming ii can do/is:ohmy:

Unless he's wanting a specific stereo with a rear cam, would he not be better off with a standalone rear cam and screen and a separate stereo? or do something like James (jeebowhite) did with the Nexus.

Alternatively, wouldn't a secondhand decent brand be better option? or as Lenny suggested an Xtron

12 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I can not comment on the radio/cam, except to say that the images on the web site of the screen look extraordinarily good quality! (Too good to be real?)

They look to me photo-shopped in afterwards, the edges of the alleged video screen image are slightly overlapping the screen bezel:laugh:

• Like 1

I've got the Xtrons HD Tv tuner with live pause & record aswell as the 10.1" HD roof monitor also from Xtrons fitted and operating for quite a while now in my focus with zero problems. 

The screen in the back looks as good as the Pioneer headunit up front cant complain.

IMG_20150320_155451_zpsibsw98wa.jpg

IMG_20150320_155749_zpsw7xh5jz8.jpg

IMG_20150329_183034_zps9y05u7ox.jpg

IMG_20150223_160340_zpsiduhftpx_edit_142

IMG_20150623_201647_zpsihmave7y.jpg

IMG_20150623_201630_zpsikszkwqu.jpg

IMG_20150623_201551_zpsxvj3rif2.jpg

IMG_20150623_175955_zpss73or59f.jpg

IMG_20150223_160630_zpsmymqwy8t_edit_142

Passed on word about the xtrons and the stand alone screen, not sure what the plan is..

Think he's struggling to find anywhere to mount anything not original, so figured this is the best option.... ¬_¬ Annoying being the middle man! haha

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on Eonon? I was chasing an xtron for him today, but it got sold - swine! looking for something less than £100... not sure if eonon do anything?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Eonon? I was chasing an xtron for him today, but it got sold - swine! looking for something less than £100... not sure if eonon do anything?

I thought there were quite a few members on here with an Eonon.

Wonder if a few members fancy selling theirs haha - would make life easier.. Found some for £80ish though!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club