Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Mondeo estate roof rails and bars

mister_t

I am in the process of replacing my Mk3 Mondeo estate with a Mk4 estate, probably a 2014/14 plate.  I need to fit roof bars and a roof box to it so will get one with roof rails.  Having looked at a few it seems the later Mk4s come with solid rails that you can't get your hand under.  I presume earlier Mk4s came with rails like on my Mk3 with the gap underneath.

Some googling suggests that these solid rails that run the full length of the roof are just cosmetic and not load bearing, however they have a small lip on each side suggesting a suitable roof bar foot would grip it.  The design change within the life of the Mk4 makes buying roof bar feet a bit confusing.  Please can somebody with a late vintage Mk4 with solid rails confirm that you can get roof bars to attach to it, and if so what bars did you use.

The solid rails look like those in the this photo.

IMG_1010_zpsf488b610.jpg

• 6 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, pragmatix said:

Hi I have at the moment a re - mapped 06 2.2 hatchback which is a brilliant car, but my son has a mondy 09 estate which I bought for him & his family & now he wants to get rid of it - 2 car family can't afford it. I was thinking of buying the car off him BUT It has no roof rails & I need a roof rack for my kayak. At last my question - Is there any way of fitting rails / roof rack.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, pragmatix said:

Hi I have at the moment a re - mapped 06 2.2 hatchback which is a brilliant car, but my son has a mondy 09 estate which I bought for him & his family & now he wants to get rid of it - 2 car family can't afford it. I was thinking off buying the car off him BUT It has no roof rails & I need a roof rack for my kayak. At last my question - Is there any way of fitting rails / roof rack.

i have fitted a few rails to the mondeo estate of the age your refering to. there isnt a kit as such. only way is to buy the original ones as fitted at factory with all the plastic covers and nuts. then guess where to drill large holes on roof. i wouldnt reccomend doing it unless your very confident with drilling and hole enlarging
i hated doing them and was time consuming.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a 2010 estate and fitted the Ford roof bars - lockable but easy to put on and take off if needed - ideal for carrying large items and the mother in law when she needs a lift. :smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club