Do Not Sell My Personal Information

possible wheel bearing?

Jordan99

Hi guys, same car new problem. (ford focus 2002) 

I believe one of my wheel bearing are on their way out. There's a loud noise coming from the rear.

I've jacked it up, done the usual tests, spinning and wobbling but nothing is pointing to the bearing, the wheel spin almost freely. I believe theres meant to be a tiny bit of friction from the brakes. 

There's no obvious signs of a stone or twig trapped causing the noise. 

is there any thing else i can check myself? 

Thanks. 

It could be tyre noise. Check for stepping on the tread pattern. I had a similar problem and a pair of new rear tyres cured it.

try here  

okay i've looked at the tires, they look fine, almost new in fact. 

that video is a great idea but i suspect the bearing to be shot on the rear. I can't spin the wheel fast enough with my hands to generate the noise. 

when i'm driving, the noise starts when i'm doing around 10-20mph. how ever, the noise in the video is the noise i hear when driving, it does also correspond with the speed of the car. i can't however, identify what side the car the noise is coming from. 

does anyone have any other ideas without the garages assistance? 

thanks!

get someone to sit in the back and see if they can tell

I've done that aswell..they can't tell! Think I might have to say 'f*ck it' and take it to my local garage :(

Jordan,

Berfore you get ripped off by the garage try this....

First get yourself a mechanics stethoscope.

Jack up the rear of your car with both wheels off the ground and supported by two axle stands. Front wheels to be chocked.

Get underneath with the stethoscope and listen to the wheel bearing while a friend spins the wheel.

You should hear next to nothing, just a gentle hum from a good bearing.

When I investigated MY rear bearing noise the bearings sounded just fine but when driving the noise was really loud inside.

I put the wheels from another Focus on then went for a drive. Magic, silence from the rear.

Answer to my problem was very noisy budget tyres.

Let's know how you get on.

ScaniaPBman.

or before you buy anything, put the spare wheel on or swap 2 wheels around and see if the noise moves/disappears. 

But how could it be the tires? The sound just came out of no where, if it was the tires wouldn't it have happened when the tires were fitted? 

20 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

But how could it be the tires? The sound just came out of no where, if it was the tires wouldn't it have happened when the tires were fitted? 

Quite correct.

Follow my plan and you will quickly find out if the wheel bearings are at fault.

If you go to a garage for them to investigate, my betting is on them going straight in for a bearing change without a decent diagnosis as above.

ScaniaPBman.

20 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

No, tyres can go out of shape and make noises when cornering which sound very much like a wheel bearing. 

Move come across this a couple of times now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the slow reply! The problem is now fixed. The n/s rear wheel bearing had gone. I go a used hub with the bearing in there for £25 from my local ford breakers. Thanks everyone. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club