Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blocked DPF/FAP - can this be cleaned

Cameron

Hi Guys

1.6 TDCI Ford Focus 

My DPF is blocked. car has gone into limp mode, doesn't rev past 3k. Have cleared faults and they return back. Have tried to carry out a force regen using snapon but was unable to carry out force regen, it states that the dpf is highly blocked for the regen to start.

Have also sprayed some DPF cleaner foam into the dpf but that didn't work.

Now was wondering if you could remove the dpf and give it a good wash/clean using pressure washer? Has anyone tried pouring brake cleaner through and leaving it overnight for the solvent to break down all the crud from inside the filter and then giving it a good blast with pressure washer?

Thanks

Cameron

Quite frankly if it is very blocked then changing it or gutting it and remap it out are the only options. 

Even when it won't regen if you try it several times doing a forced regen eventually it might succeed and clean it enough to buy you a bit more time.

What error codes is it showing up? As knowing that would help to be able to have an idea of what is going on.

How many miles has it done?

What sort of journeys does it do mostly?

Do you have a Volvo or a Focus?

You have one post talking about owning a Volvo with the 1.6 Ford/PSA engine in it and now this one saying you have a Focus???

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

Currently own the following cars:

2011 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI

2011 Volvo S40 1.6D 

2009 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI

2004 Peugeot 307 1.4 HDI 

2015 mk7 VW GOLF 1.6 TDI

The issue is in regards to a ford focus 1.6 TDCI. 

Can't remember the fault codes that came up. 

I'm thinking off removing the dpf and soaking it in some brake cleaner overnight and then washing it out using pressure washer. Would this method work and is it a safe to pour brake cleaner into the DPF?

Thanks

Cameron

3 hours ago, Cameron said:

if you could remove the dpf and give it a good wash/clean using pressure washer?

I do not recommend a pressure washer. It can drive ash further into the matrix. Then when it dries it can set like concrete (ash often contains the same chemicals used in Portland cement).

There have been reports of some success reverse flushing with copious amounts of water from a hose, until the water runs clear. (put it all in via the exhaust end).

There is a rather long and technical post on the Forscan site:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=247

I would only do this as a last resort, ie DPF no good anyway.

But before you condemm the DPF, checking the DTC codes is a good idea. Faults in the DP sensor or the hoses to this sensor are quite a common problem, and make the pcm think the DPF is blocked. And that could also prevent a forced regen.

So check the hoses first!

Peter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club