Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Power Steering Leak + ECU reprogram

cbirchy87

Hi all,

I've almost fixed my focus, New battery new clutch (OUCH!) The only issue that remains in the power steering leak i have. Its very small as i need to fill the fluid every 2-3 months. The car is coming up for an MOT and worried about a failure. The leak drips under the car around the same area as the pump. I wanted to be able to pin point the issue before i try to fix it. I'm starting to do a lot myself, breaks etc. I cant find a video on how to change either the pump or pipe work. It appears to be a little gunky onto of the pump. 

Any help would be great! 

Another question i have is i'm looking to reprogram the ECU for more HP or better fuel usage, Local modders have quotes over £200. Reading the forums looks like i can do this with ELM config. Where do i get the files for this to flash the ECU?

IMG_0034.JPG

On 20/07/2016 at 2:50 PM, cbirchy87 said:

Reading the forums looks like i can do this with ELM config. Where do i get the files for this to flash the ECU?

ELMConfig is excellent for enabling facilities already built in to the car, and may be able to do some re-mapping. But a complete re-flash of the ECU is very different. There are significant risks of something going wrong during the lengthy process, and the ECU being then useless.

Expert guidance would be needed. I have seen threads on this forum, but they sound rather complex, even to somone who has been using & programming computers for very many years.

Best I can say, I am afraid.

Peter.

I've has 2 power steering leaks in two years. Both in different places. One was the same as the one described in this thread and the other this week at the fluid reservoir. TO sort this latest leak, I've sorted it by removing and reseating the two hoses and replacing the two spring clamps with two screw type hose clamps. The leak has stopped for now!  

Here's an online version of fordcat for parts numbers/diagrams etc

Parts catalogue for power steering

Remapping your engine is pointless (is it possible?) due to the fact it's naturally aspired and ti-vct. There are guides around somewhere about updating your ECU to a later revision but that's not something I can help with.

Thank you!! Ill leave the remapped well alone. Look like I'm still going to need someone to check where the leak is coming from.

If the leak is from the union it's quite likely the nylon washer has gone instead of paying frauds 14+ pounds for one go to b an q and buy some nylon tap washers slightly thicker and you will have to file out the middle a tad to get it to go over the union but work a treat did my mates this way over 2 years ago and still no leaks cost £1.14 

On 20/07/2016 at 2:50 PM, cbirchy87 said:

The only issue that remains in the power steering leak i have.

If small, it may only be an MoT advisory, if they spot it.

But keep an eye on the belt: Check it is not getting oily. A trace of oil could be cleaned off with alcohol (meths or isopropyl alcohol), but if soaked for any time, it will probably need replacing. And, of course, check the fluid level.

To help locate a leak, remove the headlamp, and give the pump a really good clean all over. Then it will be much easier to spot any oil.

Pump replacement gets "3 spanners" (moderately difficult) in Haynes. And if the electronic module built into the pump is replaced, it may need setting up (with Ford IDS, or possibly Forscan). Haynes is far from ideal, but it still contains a lot of useful info about this type of job.

Peter.

Thank you! i've been looking for a way to view the pump better! as its under the alt! Ill do this at the weekend! what should i clean the pump housing with?

4 hours ago, cbirchy87 said:

what should i clean the pump housing with?

I would just wipe the worst off with scrumpled newspaper, then use alchohol as I recommended for the belt. You can get IPA (that is  isopropyl alcohol, not a type of beer!) off the internet, it is little less volatile than meths, so gives more time to work before it evaporates. You can buy cleaners in Halfords etc, but alchohol is 100% compatible with electronics & electrical connectors (IPA is often used to clean pcbs in production), harmless to almost all rubbers and paints, and evaporates without residue.

It is, of course, highly flammable!

If you have not had a headlight out before, there are a couple of tricks. There are 2 long clips near the bottom of the light, that poke through the beam behind. The connector need a screwdriver to release the clip. The cable was very short on mine, I could only just get to the connector. See pics.

CAR-HL2.JPG

CAR-HL3.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club