Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 diesel

Dazza9t9

At 70k you might be lucky and the DPF already changed, they don't often last until the 75k interval it seems.

It will feel unbelievably slow after a 330d though lol!!

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

At 70k you might be lucky and the DPF already changed, they don't often last until the 75k interval it seems.

It will feel unbelievably slow after a 330d though lol!!

Never mind the 330d.  When I took my mates brothers e90 320d for a spin i thought it was a speed demon compared to my Focus.  That night going home I was thinking to my self do I really have to drive this piece of crap Focus home.  Saving up for a BMW 320d now.  

• Like 1

Haha, one of my mates drives a Saab 9.3 Aero - 2.8 V6 turbo petrol...remapped as well now, more powerful than both of my cars put together, needless to say the Focus can't keep up, even on a stage 1! :rolleyes: :laugh:   However, I'm glad I don't have his, fuel, tax and tyre bill! :wink: 

• Like 3

I suppose at the end of the day, Fords are (or were) a "budget car" (whatever that means).... Vauxhalls are the poor mans Ford... and Ford are sort of next in line in the standard british car, (of course I know it's not british)... Now we have variations of budget cars... so we have expensive versions of the budget cars - RS', STs', and even Tit x.... and then you even have the ahem insignias and their top versions in the vauxhall range... But we also have the French cars and the kias and the like...

Then you have got the more expensive cars.. BMW's being the standard poor mans mercedes...  and now Audis etc...

So like for like BMW > Ford etc, but you deal with what you've got...

My 1.6tdci estate is far greater/quicker and more comfortable than my first car, which was a 1.1/1.2 1996 Renault Clio 3 door... but of course, give me a sniff on an ST and I'll jump through hoops for it... but then like most others... I guess if someone lent me a merc AMG, I'd want that over the ST... or something like that...

• Like 1

you know, id rather a Mk3 focus RS, yeah the trim isn't as plush as a merc but its got some serious attitude and is faster, plus AWD.

and when you think about it, all you ever see broken down at the side of the road is mercs, bmws and audis, oh and Vauxhalls, the latter often at the end of a trail of debris.  not to mention a large number of those fancy car owners are complete barstuards, not sure I want to be apart of that club, even if I did have the cash for one.

as for kia, you can just swap over the badge on almost any ford and you have a kia, may as well just stick with the real deal ;)

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

you know, id rather a Mk3 focus RS, yeah the trim isn't as plush as a merc but its got some serious attitude and is faster, plus AWD.

and when you think about it, all you ever see broken down at the side of the road is mercs, bmws and audis, oh and Vauxhalls, the latter often at the end of a trail of debris.  not to mention a large number of those fancy car owners are complete barstuards, not sure I want to be apart of that club, even if I did have the cash for one.

as for kia, you can just swap over the badge on almost any ford and you have a kia, may as well just stick with the real deal ;)

Just out of curiosity would you pick a brand new mk3 rs over a second hand 2008 bmw e90 m3 for e.g.  I'd have the beemer any day.  The beemer would drive and look far better.  Neither car would be great daily drivers though in terms of fuel economy and maintenance.  

I get your point dee, I wouldn't want an X5 or a range rover because they're driven by completely useless halfwits....

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily turn down 'any' BMW,audi,merc just because of how others drive in them....

Also difficult as I'm in a different category to you guys... I like estates rather than hatchbacks... And BMW,audi,merc all make very tasty estates....

There will be exceptions to my "rule" but as mentioned, ford are 'lower down' than those aforementioned on brand price... So going back to the 1.6, chances are it's not as good as any counterpart in another brand, but if you're happy with it, then all's well.

As for kias, yeh i noticed they're looking very ford like recently, I find myself squinting as I see one trying to figure it out...

Id like to see how the RS stacks up for reliability for a while first but all I ever see is "high end" Mercs etc parked at the side of the road with an AA van behind it, perhaps its just up here where it rains a lot, but even my brother merc burst in to flames at new year.

It looks like 35mpg is doable on the RS which isn't that far off the 40ish id like for a petrol, course that would mean driving like a granny which is no fun and its a fair whack off the 60mpg I'm getting just now on my 1.6 tdci as well, but needs must, if I had the money to get an RS I wouldn't be that concerned about the mpg, IMO, the new RS is almost the ultimate "cheap-ish" family run around, certainly wouldn't have to worry about the kids moving out their seats when they are  glued to the them :D

35mpg from an RS?  I'm only just touching that in the ST150... :laugh:  

Given the choice between an M3 and the Focus RS, I'd also have the RS.  Nothing to do with 'high end' for me, I'd buy a Golf or A3 over the Focus if I could've afforded to, I just like something practical (BMW saloons aren't), want something where I'm not going to die the first time it rains and I prefer the looks of the RS, that is obviously only my opinion though!

• Like 1

Wifey just made a very good point, we're getting a little off topic here and she said "tbh, if you want a run around" then anything high powered won't be that...

So as far as cheap run arounds to, provided they stay in one piece like any car... The 1.6 is a good option... But if you want a run around with some oomph then go for something else.... 

aye but everyone likes a little poke, even in a family car! The RS seems like it will do it all, it has the space of a family car and the power for some fun at the weekend ;)

and a modified 1.6 TDCI isn't a slouch either, it would benefit with some stiffer suspension but 140hp is doable and makes a fair difference, messes up the gears a bit though, 1st becomes 'almost' redundant for the amount of time spent in it.

I'm sure ive read of some chap getting 200 out of it but he changed injectors to BMW ones and a whole bunch of other stuff

Dee, whilst I don't disagree about the fun one could have, if it is liberally your run about, then keeping tax and insurance and fuel down is always handy, gives you more to spend on the toy....

Also you reckon RS is good for a family?It depends on your family I guess.... Being 6'6" I find the estate not big enough.... If I have someone behind me I often feel their knees....so a car full + buggies and a dog wouldn't be comfortable in a RS IMO.... Not to mention there is a bit of a price tag between the RS and a 1.6....

For the price tag on an RS I'd get a late 15-2016 ST estate...

But it still wouldn't be a runaround..

Thank for all the input guys, as I have an mx5 which I am going to turbo I am just after a cheap commuter really however I am not affraid of modding it.

at the moment I am leaning toward the 1.8 tdci just to take the dpf out the situation all together 

the 1.6's I have looked at are all between 55k to 80k prime time for the dpf to go.

the 1.8 is £100 extra per year tax but that's not here nor there.

Did ford produce the 1.8 up to 2009 as I cannot seem to find any newer?

do all 1.8 not have dpf? What are other common faults with the 1.8? I have read they are a great engine

the 1.8 didn't have a DPF and isn't used on the mk3, my mates mondy which is 2010 uses it but ive not seen a focus newer than 2009.

the engine is a bit of a tank, noisy and rock solid, I think its just clutch and DMF you need to watch for, I think the EGR valves can bit a bit twitchy but if its in good nick then its supposed to be bomber.  mpg is a little low mind. 

On 7/21/2016 at 6:02 PM, Dee_82 said:

for the can? if so then add 3 hours labour, call it 200 quid, just make sure that the DPF is legit, OE. its also worth remembering that from 2008/9 the DPFs were ceramic which will not block quite so easily.  the driving your doing will be fine, I'm about the same for myself but remember that even if you drive it perfectly cooking off the soot as and when it accumulates, it will still fill up with ash eventually

My 2008 1.6 TDCi certainly was not ceramic. I think 2009 was actually the year they changed them.

Again thanks for all the input people it has made for great reading

taking everything in to account I think I have settled on the 1.8, I did consider the 2 litre however it's back to the dpf.

i think the 1.8 it going to be the right balance between cost saving and power / lack of potential problems. I have to keep reminding myself I have a toy car and this is my commuter

In currently sat in the sun in France enjoying a beer (just trying to rub it in) and I am looking for a car to hopefully buy next week. This has led to my next problem. Trim level. Can anyone explain the trim levels, I am looking at 2007 to 2009 range I have found information on the pre 2007 cars but not after

I've managed to find myself in a Zetec Climate 1.8TDCi 2005 currently.

Doesn't really have anything apart from Aircon. Has alloys, front electric windows and front fogs and that's your lot.

I had it gifted too me as the DMF, Slave Cylinder and Clutch had all gone on it, I had all that lot put in by a friend and it's really not a bad car at all. I've driven lots and at least on the face of it, a Focus is a sensible car.

I am having a couple of issues with it that I'm narrowing down, I think I have a split in a turbo hose somewhere and the EGR system, I'm going to blank off as that's not right either.

So as summed up above the main issues with the Focus 1.8TDCi, mines had all of them and is on 126k, hopefully a few cheap fixes and she'll be good for another 126k as we got this as a bit of a workhorse commuter car and will get something else nice to play with.