Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2009(mk2.5)help need for changing interior lights!CONFUSED!

D!str0

Hello people.

I am a bit confused. I whant to change my FOCUS mk2.5 interior lights(dome,visors,map & tail lights) with white led lights. Is it true that all the leds must be can bus no error? The reason that i ask is because i found the like 7 pounds from Chine a set of 7 bulbs but they dont specify if they are can bus no error. What should i buy ? Should i search a certain type can bus no error bulbs?

Thank you.

On 21/07/2016 at 10:10 AM, D!str0 said:

Anyone please.

There is no need for "CAN bus" compatible bulbs in the interior lights. There is no current sensing on any of the interior lights, so a lower running current will do no harm.

"CAN bus" friendly LED Bulbs usually have an internal resistor to raise the operating current to be similar to a filament lamp, which wastes power, heats up the bulb, and drastically shortens the life of the LED. Avoid like the plague! It is not actually anything to do directly with any CAN bus, it is because cars using CAN bus modules may have current sensing circuits on each bulb. The Mk2/2.5 Focus does not.

The only possible exception is the door mirror lamps, but I am 90% sure these will be ok too. Just go back to filaments if any "blown bulb" messages appear.

Peter.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Diagram checked.

I changed all lights in interior with LED, sidelights, mirror lights, rear fog light, reverse light and license plate bulbs with LED, osram w5w 4000k and P21W 3000k LED, no CANBUS error. I tried change turn signal lights, but they glow 2x faster. I don't know how to change resistor integrated in steering wheel for normal glowing.

mk2,5 titanium 2010 made in Spain.

3 hours ago, gopacic said:

I tried change turn signal lights, but they glow 2x faster

I am guessing you mean they flash on-off 2x faster (translation problem?).

The turn signal lights are controlled directly by the BCM (aka GEM), the complex electronic module in the passenger fuse box. As these lights have a safety function, the current may well be monitored, and the change to LEDs will be a problem. A suitable load resistor would have to be fitted (in parallel with one or more lights on each side) to get the current up to be similar to the normal filament bulbs.

Peter.

• Like 1

Resistor can't be fitted, my GEM don't have resistor for signal lights. Resistor is integrated in steering wheel, in front of driver legs. I read it on internet for mk2,5, and search it on my GEM.

yes, they flash 2x faster (front and rear). If I change signal light only in side mirrors, they all function correctly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gopacic said:

yes, they flash 2x faster (front and rear). If I change signal light only in side mirrors, they all function correctly.

Useful to know that the mirror lamps can be changed.

For the main indicator lamps, the benefits of LEDs are minimal. Power saving is negligible, lifetime of indicator bulbs is usually the colour of the glass (if amber), not the filament. Appearance benefit is small. So I would leave them as filament bulbs.

• Like 1

On previous cars I have fitted LED front & rear indicators but left side repeaters as standard bulbs.

Doing it that way the rapid flashing won't occur.

Sent from my SM-G930F