Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con

Steve63

I have a 1.6 TDCI 2009 Focus with 64000 mls with the air con on, all runs well but when driving the car & pilling away from a junctions the power loss is so great it makes the car un driveable.  .  When I turn of the a/c all is well again.

Hope someone can help.

Steve..

5 hours ago, Steve63 said:

when driving the car & pilling away from a junctions the power loss is so great it makes the car un driveable. 

That seems a very odd fault. The amount of power actually taken by the a/c is minuscule compared to the engine power output: maybe 1kW or so, with engine power in the 60kW to 100kW range.

Must some strange electrical interaction. The a/c takes a fair bit of extra electrical power to energise the solenoid, and run the main radiator fan, is your battery in good nick?

And does it happen when pulling away gently, or when doing a quick take off to pull out into traffic?

Hi

The battery was replaced about a year ago, & I am getting 14 volts with the air con running.  I did a test today (Monday) put the air con on this morning (5.45 am) going to work, & all was well (cooler in the morning).  Did the same thing coming home, (car running fine).  Not as hot as last week so is there something in the a/c system that could be faulty when the weather get`s a lot hotter.

Thanks for the reply, Hope to here from you soon

Steve..

Sorry did not reply to you last question, the power loss was very bad pulling away at junctions.

Steve..

12 minutes ago, Steve63 said:

the power loss was very bad pulling away at junctions.

Hmmm,

I don't think it is the a/c directly. The compressor simply could not absorb that sort of power without the belt slipping or breaking, or going into meltdown itself!

It looks to me like temperature is the key. When the a/c is on, then the heat from the condenser goes into the engine compartment, increasing the general under bonnet temperature. So I reckon something is temperature sensitive. The combination of hot weather and the extra heat made it malfunction.

Engine temperature dial staying normal, and no error lights on?

Could be one of the electronic sensors like the MAP or MAF.

Could be an EGR related problem, via the EGR valve, or the throttle (aka anti-shudder) valve.

Fuel or injector problems seem less likely, if the engine ran ok, but just with reduced power.

Do you have any diagnostic tools? Something like Forscan that can monitor live sensor readings would be good. I can provide some links if you are interested.

Looks like we will have to wait to see if the problem happens again, or gets worse. But getting some diagnostic tools ready for that situation might be a good idea. Diagnosing all the sensors & valves etc without that help is difficult and expensive.

Peter.

he is going to have to wait for another hot day, that could be a while in this country , lol

Hi

I would love to find out what is the problem is but unless something breaks I suspect we will never know.

I have been speaking to people at work with other makes of car and none of them have had the problems that I have had.

Any way thanks for all your help & if I discover what the problem is I will let you know.

Steve...

• Like 1