Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt

Hi 

I am trying to keep my car in Good condition and save unnecessary repairs.

It's a 2009 2.5 100BHP 1.6 petrol model. it has 47k on the clock, I bought it two years ago and except a power steering house leaking and being replaced it has been good and still drives pretty much like a new car.

Full Ford service history, brake fluid changed last year as it had a small amount of water in it, also had the air con regassed.

As I can afford it now and I am off work, I am going to get Cam belt changed, I know the mileage is low but it's over 7 years since it was made and nearly 7 years since first registered, get it done and forget about it!

It's going in Tuesday and I have asked for water pump to be replaced too.

I know the coolant says replace on 8 years, do they need fresh coolant to do the job anyway? And if the auxiliary belt were to snap can that cause massive damage? I read it runs water pump?

Trying to cover everything, it's got to last me a few years yet.

Thanks  

I'd say you made a wise decision as belts deteriorate with age as well as mileage. As you're having the coolant pump replaced that will require new coolant and the old auxiliary belt will need to be cut off to change pump and cambelt so that will also need to be renewed. If your model has aircon the compressor belt will also need to be cut off and renewed.

Hi

Garage just called to confirm my booking, they told me they will replace the 'stretch belt'? Not long after I bought the car on full lock it was spraying power steering fluid over everything, especially that belt, they put s newer strong pipe on and it's been fine since but they didn't replace the belt.

Thanks for the help.

Bill reads:

Supplied and fitted timing belt, water pump, aux belt and replaced Anti freeze with three litres.

Ford health check all ok (service a week ago)

Kit, water pump rep

anti freeze litre

Kit drive belts

kit timing belt

bolt

bolt

lot of money for a piece of paper..

so that's not a new water pump then I guess? unless rep is replace, I was thinking repair.

Theres little to repair on a water pump that makes it more cost effective to keep , they would have replaced it  for sure.

so how much did the work cost in total if you dont mind me asking ?

and i'm assuming it was done at a ford dealership ?

i have it all to do on my car next year and would like to have a ball park figure to keep in mind

I wondered what the REP meant.

I am new to my area so don't know any garages, I bought Focus 2 years ago with 37k on the clock.

So I booked in it for MOT and a Ford 4+ Major service, and this year a minor one, both times they found nothing, no advisories, so I kind of trust em.

All the prices are fixed (click on repairs)

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Motorcraft

1 hour ago, stratoc said:

I wondered what the REP meant

I would interpret that as meaning "water pump repair kit", which implies it was repaired rather than replaced.

theres nothing servicable(repair) on a water pump on modern cars, it will definatly be replace without doubt. 

I don't know about ford pumps but I know with certain VW engines, a new pump has a surcharge so they can get the old one back. Any I've had look like spanking new units though so if they are reconditioned they are done very well.

• Like 1

no surcharge on ford pumps, old ones chucked in the scrap pile, new only. 

• Like 1