Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Ghia 2005/55 - what is this noise?

Ignatius1

The noises were heard only because the bonnet was open having used the car's battery as a donor to jump another car's battery.  The noise is, I think, only heard when turning off the ignition.  I can't say whether or not the beeping noise and clunking happens all of the time... does anyone know what this noise is?  15 second YouTube clip

Sounds like a solenoid clicking

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, gampla said:

Sounds like a solenoid clicking

OK.  Can you also make out the ringing noise [coming from within the engine bay]?

I probably can't say for sure what component is making that noise, but what I can say is that my 2010 1.6 TDCi Focus (that I've had since new) has always made that noise, and given that it's been running perfectly since new, I'm inclined to say the noise is normal. To clarify, it's a sort of pulsed whining with some clicks and clunks.

One component that will make the occasional noise after driving is the diesel particulate filter 'doing it's thing', although I don't think that happens very often. The noise I hear each time (and the one in your video) is probably one or more components performing a sort of shutdown routine. Maybe certain parts just need to reset themselves, or a few sensors are making some final checks before the engine management system puts everything to sleep. If you google this topic, you'll find lots of people have asked the same thing about TDCi engines. 

On 24/07/2016 at 1:02 PM, Ignatius1 said:

only heard when turning off the ignition

As Fred (SeaGrey) noted, certain components do tests etc. on shut-down. My 1.8TDCI tests the EGR valve, with whining, clicking and a final clank, on ignition off.

It is logical, because it is the only time it can do it. There may not be time on start-up, drivers expect immediate start, at least with warm engine. Can't do it while running, on parts that affect driving, so shut-down is best.

I'll say a solenoid turning power off to something maybe

I wouldn't worry, it's just the car shutting down all the power. My friend has a 2009 Audi A5 (blasphemy) and it makes this noise all the time. My 2004 Fiesta flame does, 2006 Focus Titanium does. It's more of a click then a whirring noise for a few seconds. But I'm pretty sure it's shutting the power down.