Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blank removed

ajzetecs

Recenlty removed egr blank plate basically for test purpose and they car is a different beast now, thought they were meant to be better of, my egr has been deleted on second remap had done, the turbo lag has gone to bare minimal, still get some lag thats down to been in lower gear or driving characteristics. Might be worth people taking it out if egr was deleted

• 2 weeks later...

On 24/07/2016 at 3:52 PM, ajzetecs said:

my egr has been deleted on second remap ... Might be worth people taking it out if egr was deleted

It is anybody's guess as to what "EGR delete" really means!

On my 1.8TDCI, I can blank the egr with no remap (at least not by me) & no error codes. When in that state, it opens fully (but does nothing to the engine) whenever is is supposed to be in use, and closes fully otherwise. The pcm can read the position of the valve, and will complain (error light) if the valve is not moving as expected. But it does not seem to worry about the lack of effect. It knows there is no effect, because it opens it fully.

When the EGR is unblanked, and operative, then I can see it controlling the flow, typically 1/3 to 2/3 open, and shutting when not required. So the pcm is sensing the effect (flow), and controlling it.

I have just serviced the egr actuator, which was making the light come on, and have just removed the blanking plate. I would say the car feels a little more uncertain pulling away (I stalled once, just after removing it), but otherwise feels a little more responsive if anything.

I am a bit suspicious of all these 3rd party remaps. These engines are quite complex, and the results will be highly dependent on who designed the new map, and how good they were. It may be possible to get more power at the top end, but for it to become less responsive in mod or low range.

If removing the plate has had an effect, the valve must be opening at times, and still be being controlled by the pcm. It could be that the "egr delete" did not affect the map at all, just the blanking was enough.

I think it as you have found: If the egr is fully working, and the rest of the engine is also working right, then the egr has little noticeable impact, and may be beneficial. If the egr starts sticking, or there is some other problem then blanking does help.

Whether the tales of clogged up inlet manifolds are all correct, I do not know. I suspect that good engines will be ok, smokey ones won't. I was thinking of buying a snake cam to have a look in the manifold of my 150k mile Diesel.

my only issue with no having blank on is the carbon build up, but its way better without it on. Due a terraclean again so will remove via that procedure

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club