Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel wobble on mk4 mondeo

Guys I need some help

Cars been in the garage twice now for wheel wobble, twice they have balanced the wheels and said it's fine, twice its no better.

Between 50 and 60 it starts. Seems to level off at 70 but above 70 and it wobbles again.

Cat is back in on 6th August, any ideas what else could cause this so that I can make sure they check it out?

Starting to really annoy me now as I get the impression they think I am at it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Get them to check for any distortion of the wheels, it's surprising how they can still be balanced even if out of true. I had a similar problem with mine, vibration at similar speeds to yours although mine didn't level off at 70 which made it a right pain at motorway speeds!. Had both the front and rear wheels balanced at local tyre place but no difference. Took it to my regular Ford dealer ( he's a small retail dealer so very good) and he checked the front wheels. Both had slight distortion, one vertically and one laterally, probably due to pot holes etc , but in his opinion weren't bad enough to justify replacing. It was close to needing new tyres on the front and so he thought best seeing how it was then, if not he suggested checking the rear wheels and swapping if they were better. It did improve but eventually he swapped the rear wheels ( which weren't distorted very much ) to the front and it's been a lot better since. Still get a little vibration around 50-55 but it's ok outside of that band. 

• Like 1

It could be worn drop links

Thanks folks for replies. I've got a list of things to have them check when it goes in on Saturday. (is that cheeky?)

Hopefully they will sort it out as I don't fancy a 4th visit. Might threaten them with giving the car back as I have only had it about 6 weeks and this is their 3rd attempt to fix it

Well went out for a drive with the lexus mechanic today to show him the issue. Quite an arrogant !Removed!. He said there is a little movement at certain speeds but not a big issue so clearly I'm imagining it then. It'll come back tomorrow after another wheel balance likely and still be the same. So it'll then go to a trusted mechanic for a full inspection and if they find anything I'll argue it with Car Deal Warehouse. In fact I might look at handing it back as they seem unable to fix it after 3 attempts. Would rather they fixed it right enough. Shower of !Removed!

Well as expected they have called back, car is ready and they have once again balanced the wheels.

I can guarantee it won't be fixed, but what's my options now. They seem unwilling to admit the wheel wobble is an issue. Should I get an independent trusted mechanic to give it a once over and if he finds issues present them to CDW and demand they fix it under warranty? Do I get it fixed elsewhere and bill them for the repairs? Or do I just accept the wheel wobble as minimal and within normal tolerance as they have said.... Which BTW I know is total bs

Hi wheel wobble isn't right, and this garage is basically crap I would go else where tbh as this could lead to further issues down the line n more cost, and possibly an accident.

once you find out what's wrong you could always go back and try n claim your cash back from how many times it's been in there prior to the first visit as they have just not picked it up any decent mechanic should pick up faults no problem.even if you don't get your money back your proving your point they are crap at there job

Has it had new brakes recently that you can tell?

No vibration under braking?

Well collected it and right enough they rebalanced the wheels. 2 secs outside the garage and the wheel wobble still there so went straight to local garage, when I told him the wheel wobble was there despite them having rebalanced the wheels for a 2nd or 3rd time he said I'm not surprised as they have done it wrong. Wheel weights are in the wrong place and shouldn't be setup in double lines. Anyway he rebalanced all 4 wheels correctly and everything is good now. Argument and complaints now ongoing with car deal warehouse and lexus.

Shocking that a main lexus dealers mechanics can't properly balance wheels. Going by their competence level I wouldn't trust them to put a nut in a monkeys mouth. Idiots. All this time, past 3 weekends taking the car in, picking it up. Making out the car is fine and it's my imagination and it turns out they clowns can't balance wheels properly.

When I bought the car I took the option of next 3 service and mot's with them, you can bet I want that money back now as no way I would trust their level of competence to carry out a proper service and Mot on my car

OMG this is shocking n just think we trust these ppl with our cars,

on a good not though least you got to the bottom of it but shouldn't of had to get to bottom of it this way 

It's a relief mate. Really like the car and didn't want to have to fire it back to them. Onwards and upwards now hopefully. CDW have been I contact and assure me they are dealing with my complaint

Ok so quick update. Wobble still not eradicated. Granted it's less severe now but it's still there. Noticed today on a longer run.

Anyway lexus have booked it into Ford on Friday for them to inspect it so hopefully something will be found and sorted

Another quick update. Guy up the road from me is a ford mechanic so prior to Fridays visit to Ford garage he came and had a look. Checked the tyres which are Michelin and noticed dips in the tread. Seemingly common on Michelin tyres as they wear. He thinks this is likely the cause of the vibration I'm feeling thru the wheel. Be interesting to see if Ford pick that up on Friday

Ford have confirmed misshapen tyres. 2 on the near side have ripples in the tread.

So now the argument continues with CDW to get them to buy 2 new tyres

CDW on Saturday to get 2 new tyres, wheels rebalanced and tracked as the car also pulls right under acceleration.

Asked CDW to supply tyres and I'd get them fitted elsewhere at my cost coz I don't trust them to do it right, but apparently for warranty purposes they have to do it..... Wonder what they will screw up this time?

I'd of thought you would of got a decent mechanic what with the Lexus name...goes to show how ineptitude knows no boundaries...[emoji2]

Sent from my Z220 using Tapatalk

Exactly mate. Their senior service advisor today tried to argue with me that it's a 4 year old used car and a certain amount of wobble is to be expected.

I nearly swung over the desk and punched him. Told him to get to F, I've driven 20 year old cars with zero wobble so a 4 year old one certainly shouldn't have it.

Absolute idiots

4 years there having a laugh, did the service manager originally work on the PG Tips advert, sorry didn't mean to insult monkeys😀

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust him to put a nut in a monkeys mouth. I'm actually shocked and still angry they are so bad. I still maintain its because I have a mondeo. It'll be beneath them to work on, they are lexus mechanics for God sake, not a lowly Ford mechanic

Sigh this just gets better.

Pics attached of what I found today when I got car home...... Anger levels now through the roof. Speaking to lexus manager tomorrow37973c60724bed6ccfae536ecea015cf.jpg7d02d6d85b525e7c8c6974e180e6d0c0.jpgc2d39cce579512c3fbdd13bfaa16eaa9.jpga3c786d13bb44567536dc58418fe1c23.jpg

So lexus have said they don't believe they have caused this damaged as they use a plastic removal tool for the wheel weights, however they are willing to take the car tomorrow for a couple of days and send it up to their Eastern Western coachworks unit to have them refurbish the insides of the wheels to sort out the damage.

So they say they didn't do it but will fix it... Hmm mmm

I'm still appalled by their attitude over this car, not even as much as an apology to us for the time we've wasted back and forth to them.

I think the ombudsman will be getting a letter about this as I don't feel I can let this drop after the wheels are fixed

Have just read through this thread as I'm having similar problems with my 2008 Mondeo. I can't quite pin point when it all started but have two fairly new tyres on the front and have had the wheels re-balanced as I was convinced something wasn't right. Sure enough, the wobble is still there at similar speeds to the ones you experienced. The wheels themselves have deteriorated (cosmetically) in the last 12 months.... does anyone know what's involved in replacing wheels when there are pressure sensors involved??

Well wheels fixed. Is the wobble gone..... Nope still slightly there. But fk it, I'll put up with it rather than give them it back.

Honestly, I agree with them saying 'some' wobble is acceptable on a used car, though not as much as you first had.  I've never had a car that doesn't have any wobble at all.  Gone to great lengths to have tracking and wheel balancing done.  But it's never fully cured, though apparently I'm just picky!

Problem is, the wheels are probably slightly bent/buckled from potholes and kerbs, the tyres all wear slightly differently, rubber components are starting to wear and get a little soft, the ball joints are all slightly worn.  There's no such thing as 'drives like a new car' unless you actually buy a brand new car, I really hate that expression!! :laugh: