Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator / smart Charge (Mk4 1.8TDCI)

Gadge

Hi,

Ford Mondeo Mk4 2008 1.8TDCI

I've just had the alternator changed after it completely died, no voltage was being output at all. However the battery light is coming back on intermittently.

• The Garage have tested the alternator and stripped down and cleaned the connectors - They said the smart charge cable isn't looking too great so they suspect the fault is with this, they did try and bend the pins to get a better connection and it's not been too bad since but they said if I get another cable they will fit it for me.

• RAC have checked the alternator and all of their tests came back to say it was good (the battery light was off at this point however on when I called them). RAC's computers did say the battery was faulty so they replaced that under warranty (I took out the battery cover two years ago at £20 so this is the 2nd battery the car's had).

• Phoned a Ford Parts department and they have never heard of the cable, but said they have a few transit connect one's on the shelf but he didn't think it would fit.

I am seeing smart charge errors when using a code reader.

Looking on eBay I can see loads of listings for "BRAND NEW ALTERNATOR WIRING LOOM FOR FORD TRANSIT CONNECT 03/09 4998243" for between £20-30, will this fit? if not does anyone know the model number I need / a place I can purchase one from please?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gadge,

Have you had any luck solving this? I have a similar issue with an intermittent battery light after replacing the alternator, and my local Ford in Harrogate have not heard of the part, although from what I have read it is a common fault.

Thanks!

Adam

• 8 months later...

Hey adam,

I have the same thing with my Focus after having the alternator replaced! But now it's not charging the battery at all! 

Did u solve the problem in the end?? 

Thanks 

keshia