Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More expensive petrol?

Ews

Hi folks, I'd be really grateful if someone here could tell me, categorically, if it would be ok for me to put the 'more expensive unleaded petrol' in my car.

I have a Ford Focus Edge 1.6 2011. I usually fill up at Tesco so it would be their Momentum I'd be looking to try.

I really don't know anything about this and have always been curious about filling my tank up with this 'other stuff'. Will it damage my engine, will my car even accept it? Sorry to sound so thick but like I said I just don't know anything about this. People I know have told me it will be fine and that I should try it but I've always been hesitant to be honest. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, Ewan. 

Yes your car will take it ok.  What will it do?  Probably not that much.  The claims are it will give you a few more MPG and perhaps slightly better performance.  It might also, over prolonged use, help clean your engine.  Its all very difficult to substantiate and personally I just use the normal stuff and have never had any issues.  

Perhaps someone who has used it would be able to tell you if it really does make a difference for your 7p or 8p per litre extra.

• Like 1

Won't affect your car in any negative way I wouldn't think, slightly better quality/higher octane fuel so you might notice a very slight increase in responsiveness if anything.

For what its worth, I've pretty much always had a diesel cars and always swore by premium fuel i.e bp, Shell, esso etc as opposed to the supermarkets. However had switched to supermarket fuel for the last six months or so purely for convenience, and not seeing any difference at all. Fuel economy exactly the same on the two click method.

• Like 1

Many thanks guys. 

I guess what I need to know ultimately is -is it ok to put in my model of car? Will it mess up my engine? 

it won't do any harm to your engine.

It won't damage your engine at all but unless your engine has knock sensors you probably won't notice any difference.

wont do any harm , but a waste of money in my opinion unless you have a performance car that will benefit from it, others will say the opposite no doubt. 

• Like 1

I use Tesco's Momentum 99 in my ST but wouldn't think of bothering with anything over 95ron in a standard car.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Just got to say this but I'll NEVER buy any petrol from Tesco ever again, I filled up at our local tesco, half an hour later and the car is running like its firing on two plugs then one plug then four plugs then i'm head butting the windscreen because it was that violent, managed to get home and park up, where I checked everything and spotted nothing, so Son nipped to Sainsbury's and got a gallon of fresh petrol, whilst he was gone I drained the fuel out of the car and low and be-hold I could see water, was so angry that I phoned the petrol station and they tried to fob me off that it was my car that was the problem and not the fuel..... Anyway Son gets back home and I fills up with fresh petrol and within seconds the car was running fine. God forbid that the water could have blew the engine up and that day I was hearing of dozens of motorists breaking down after filling up at tesco garages.

:angry::angry: STUFF TESCO FUEL  :angry::angry:

Just bad luck I say.

Morrisons had the same problem a few years back.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Putting Momentum 99 in my 1 litre turbo makes the engine tickover and drive more smoothly and it definitely pulls better up hills. 

My ST is definitely louder on momentum. Not sure about much else as it's hard to tell but I always tend to run it all the same. Ford recommend BP

• 4 weeks later...

I put in standard Shell fuel, not going for the super premium unless there's a lego promotion on :laugh:

Having an ST and feeding it regular 95ron is like going on the lash and drinking shandy 😎.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Having an ST and feeding it regular 95ron is like going on the lash and drinking shandy 😎.

Sent from my SM-G930F

:lol: ok you mightve convinced me otherwise 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip across several European countries and noticed that Premium unleaded 95 octane and Super Plus unleaded 98 octane was sold in every petrol station. Didn't see any higher octane. Super Plus is one of the fuel grades printed on my filler cap. I wonder why UK fuel companies sell super unleaded at 97 or 99 octane and not the 98 octane that seems to be standard in the rest of Europe?  

Taken from Hondaswap.com-

In Europe 98-octane gasoline is common and in Japan even 100-octane is readily available at the pumps, but this octane nomenclature is misleading to Americans as foreign octane ratings are derived entirely differently from our own... So, like every other measurement system it seems that everyone else uses a different scale than we do, but unlike most other instances where we have had the good sense to create different units of measure in this case we all use the same name...

Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...

So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )

98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)

100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

So, as you can see the 93 or 94 octane fuel we are all paying an arm and a leg for is actually quite comparable to the higher octane fuels found in Europe and Japan. The people whom have to worry about low octane rating are our friends out west in places like California that are subjected to substandard 91 octane.

91 AKI Octane (US measure) = 95.5 RON Octane

Sent from my SM-G930F

I only fill up with BP 95 but this is my experience with BP ultimate 97 in a Fiesta ST180.

BP Ultimate causes more carbon/soot to be emitted from the exhaust, engine is quieter, engine response is worse, power/acceleration worse. And it costs more.

10 minutes ago, Ad@m said:

I only fill up with BP 95 but this is my experience with BP ultimate 97 in a Fiesta ST180.

BP Ultimate causes more carbon/soot to be emitted from the exhaust, engine is quieter, engine response is worse, power/acceleration worse. And it costs more.

Exactly the same as my 1.0 eco boost. Engine slightly quieter but response is worse.i now stick with Shell v max , better acceleration and mpg.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club