Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel bearings

Carpysmith

Hi everyone.

I have a 2005 Focus 1.8tdci Ghia hatch with what I think is a noisy wheel bearing! It,s making a droning/whining noise all the time, noise virtually disappears (or at least reduces) when turning left, no difference when turning right. How can I tell which bearing is suspect or is there something else it could be? I have jacked each wheel up one at a time and can feel no play or hear any rumbling when turning wheels but I assume that could be because there is no weight/load on wheel bearings? Thoughts anyone?

Regards

Steve (aka carpysmith)

jack it up put you're hand on the rear shock rotate the wheel with the other hand you'll feel it through the shock a roughness if its bad you will hear I from turning the wheel check all 4 as it can be from the front but sound like the rear

i had this issue on my 2002 ford focus. I jacked it up, tried to wobble but there was no play. I couldnt spin the wheel quick enough to generate any noise. I also tried the shock trick but still seemed fine. 

If the noise tone changes dependent on the speed, and changes when turning left i'd say your n/s bearing is on its way. If the noise is loud enough you should be able to hear weather the noise is coming from the front or the rear of the car. you could try putting a passenger in the back for a second opinion? 

either way bearing are easy to do if youre happy to go second hand. I got a used hub with the bearing and spindle for £25. took about 40 minutes to fit with the help of wd-40. 

Thanks for the input guys! I,m driving to work all this week as it,s my turn! so the plan is to get my colleague to stick his ears out of the window to try and pinpoint what side it is! not too worried about doing the job myself but just wanted to make sure I get the right hub!

Regards

Stve (aka carpysmith)

Hi,  If it's the front bearing, and if your focus is a MK2 it should have Gen2 bearings, which  requires a special tool, you can get one off eBay for around £150.00. if you don't already have one taking it to a local garage could work out cheaper. if its rear and you have disks the bearing should bolt on with a new hub, that how they fit on my focus estate.

Cheers Alz!

I think on further investigation it is on the front! Don't have special tool to do it either! She is booked in at my friendly local garage to have job done!!

Regards Steve (aka carpysmith)