Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCI broken cam belt

vinpetrol

Can anyone tell me that has had a cambelt go how difficult or straightforward it is to strip down and what the process is. 

is there anything specific to look out for or be aware off 

cheers 

vin

What mileage is the engine on? Are you sure its the cambelt that has gone? The Ford service life on them are stupidly long, wouldn't go more than say 80k miles on a rubber belt. Pretty sure the engine is an interference engine so its probably going to be cheaper to drop in a replacement engine than try to repair.

Hi Mitch 

thanks for your reply.

I had a good look at other threads on the subject and had heard the term interference engine mentioned and that because of this I am to expect more damage.

it has just turned 90 K and is a 2010 dealer told me interval is 125k !

!Removed! timing belt and kit sitting on my work bench but not rushed to do it on strength of main dealers comment.........

i am considering a replacement engine rather than spending money stripping down current engine only to find possibly a non cost effective repair.

any idea what the likely damage would be in the worst case scenario ?

also what are the difficulties in fitting a replacement engine? Do the electronics make this very difficult ? 

Has anyone here done it? 

Any my advice much appreciated

cheers

vin

8 hours ago, vinpetrol said:

Hi Mitch 

thanks for your reply.

I had a good look at other threads on the subject and had heard the term interference engine mentioned and that because of this I am to expect more damage.

it has just turned 90 K and is a 2010 dealer told me interval is 125k !

!Removed! timing belt and kit sitting on my work bench but not rushed to do it on strength of main dealers comment.........

i am considering a replacement engine rather than spending money stripping down current engine only to find possibly a non cost effective repair.

any idea what the likely damage would be in the worst case scenario ?

also what are the difficulties in fitting a replacement engine? Do the electronics make this very difficult ? 

Has anyone here done it? 

Any my advice much appreciated

cheers

vin

I read 125k miles for my belt change on my 1.4 TDCi, mine was on 105k miles when I bought it, belt was immediately changed as soon as I bought it as I don't trust Ford figures for changes like that.

An interference engine means that the valve and pistons can make contact, on the Citroen 2.0 HDi engine the rocker arms are specifically designed to be the failure point if the piston hits a valve (the 8 valves are inline with the piston so simply smash the valves upwards) - this means on that engine you can sometimes just get away with changing the belt and replace the rocker arms.

With most 16v engines like yours the valves can be bent if it gets hit by a piston, best case scenario is that the engine stopped before the pistons hit the valves, if you are lucky you might just have a few bent valves and no piston damage. The worst case senario is that all of the valves have bent, damaged all of the pistons and scrapped the head.

As the belt has snapped and the engine is probably going to have to be changed anyway it might be worth seeing if you can get the head off yourself to check for damage, you might be really lucky and not have any damage, probably just taking the rocker cover off might show if any valves are stuck or bent as a first check.

I believe with the replacement engine the injectors might need recoding to the ECU - having not needed to change an engine over however it might be best to check with others.

15 hours ago, m1tch said:

What mileage is the engine on? Are you sure its the cambelt that has gone? The Ford service life on them are stupidly long, wouldn't go more than say 80k miles on a rubber belt. Pretty sure the engine is an interference engine so its probably going to be cheaper to drop in a replacement engine than try to repair.

Does anyone know when the timing belt should be changed on the 1.6tdci? Not got the vehicle handbook to hand (assuming its in there).

Ford say 125k do it at 80k . Mine done 90 K when it snapped and belt was on the bench in workshop with no urgency to fit! 

Vin

9 hours ago, dave_k said:

Does anyone know when the timing belt should be changed on the 1.6tdci? Not got the vehicle handbook to hand (assuming its in there).

I wouldn't push it more than 80k, they *might* be ok at a longer interval but its also things like the tensionors and the water pump which might also start to fail before that.

I got mine changed at 94k on our 1.6 tdci and the garage said it was a wise move as the water pump was leaking.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club