Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 1.8 petrol strange noise.

wilto

Hi guys, have had a strange noise coming from my car for a few months now, it's most notable when the car is cold, it sounds like a cross between an old fashioned whistling kettle starting to boil and the sound you get when the AUX is selected on the radio.

you can hear it sometimes on tick over but it's most prevalent when the car starts moving. 

I get a high pitched noise then it goes lower then higher then nothing, it's totally random, checked the dive belt and tensioner, all seem OK. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar, thank in advance guys, Chris.

Not experienced it, but my first thought was alternator.

Does the noise change with revs at stationary?

I.e. is it linked to engine speed or road speed?

No it doesn't, I thought alternator as well, can't really rule it out though, it's guite quiet on tick over, just the odd whistle, it weirded its not a constant noise either when moving, when the car is warm it's gone. I took a friend of mine who's a mechanic for a short spin in the works car park an he said I MIGHT be the stainless steel exhaust making the noise as its from the cat back.

rust on the brake disc 

No it's definitely a engine bay related noise.

On 28 July 2016 at 9:15 PM, iantt said:

water pump 

Hmmm hadn't thought about that, why would it be more noticeable when moving though?

no idea why you hear it more while moving, but as you say it does it stationary also, so it has to be engine mechanical side under bonnet.

water pumps can make a squeaking type of noise esp from cold and get quieter or stop when warm. its the seal in the pump that squeaks.

first thing i would try from cold is drop the aux belts off and see if noise has gone or not, that will determine where to start to look. also the top tensioner  pulley sometimes make a noise/rattle .

That's a good call Ian, I'll try that first I think, thanks pal 👍