Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using a litre of oil a week what is wrong

dids

Hello I have a ford mondeo mk3 2003 1.8. it uses about a litre of oil a week and I only do about 40 miles a week. my car also shudders from time to time. sometimes a lot sometimes not at all. does anyone know what is up with my car. apart from what ive mentioned the car is tip top. thanks

Are there any leaks that you know of,is the engine block dirty at all.Seems a heck of a lot of oil

Either a leak or it's burning oil, a litre a week is a lot.

if you only drive 40 miles per week, why do you own a car ?   no offence intended but I usually drive at least 50 miles per day and I am not even working at the moment, I do about 400 miles per week and the average person drives 45 - 50 miles per day . If you are only driving 40 miles per week then is it worth owning a car and paying for tax, insurance and any repairs for just 40 miles a week ?  it will not be doing your car any good at all either, I'm surprised your car battery isn't going flat as the alternator will not be getting much charge

12 hours ago, dids said:

it uses about a litre of oil a week

Like spurswes & Simon (simcor) suggest, it must be possible to detect where all that oil is going. If being burnt, there will be clouds of evil smelling smoke, if leaking, there will be pools of it somewhere. Take off the panel under the engine (if is has one). If the car stands on absorbent ground, put cardboard under it. To detect leaks.

One oil leak I had was a blocked crankcase breather tube, it pressurised the engine, and forced oil out through the cam cover gasket. After any drive, oil was dripping from underneath.

If it is a leak, it should be fixable.

If it is burning it at that rate, the car may be beyond sensible repair.

Peter.

PS: Lots of people need cars to do very low mileages. My mother for one. Just needs a bit of care for battery etc. She now has a solar panel charger in the windscreen.

• Like 1

Its a normal 1.8 duratec he issue, engine is knakered ( technical term)

• Like 2

I had an old car, it was getting through as much oil as petrol lol (burning it)

BTW this car is on the list of rip...

Very common. The Lower Piston Rings would have gone, and the Breather will be blocked, forcing oil up to the pistons under pressure , which is being burnt as you drive along, it doesn't however appear as clouds of blue smoke!