Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

SORNing for a Short Time - DVLA Notes Confusing Too

GMX

The VED is expiring during the weekend on my Mk2 Focus.

Unless there is a cancellation tomorrow, which is unlikely, it won't be until next week I can get an MOT slot.

I haven't been this situation for so long, as I usually MOT well before the VED expiry day. In fact, it hasn't occurred to me since before continuous VED or SORN became law.

Am I correct in thinking I need to declare it SORN before it actually expires, i.e., tomorrow or on Saturday.   As opposed to letting it expire and trying SORN it on Sunday.?

Obviously it will only be SORNed for a no more  that few days, since I can't tax it without a new MOT, providing it's been SORNed I can drive it to a pre-booked MOT next week and still be covered legally when I do so.

The DVLA notes with the renewal seem to contradict this, and state the pre continuous VED/SORN rules, whereby it can expire and you can still drive it legally to a pre-booked MOT providing yo do it within 14 days.

Has the MOT actually expired yet?

If you have a pre arranged MoT at the test station you can drive it directly to the garage and back with no MoT or tax. You MUST have insurance for the journey.

If you SORN the car then it will expire as soon as you next tax it, no other notification is required.

Online SORN application-

https://www.sorn.service.gov.uk/

You need your V5C and V11 reminder for the reference numbers to process the application.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Has the MOT actually expired yet?

Yes, it's been on the drive ever since.

Normally I'm not this disorganised, I usually MOT a month before it actually expires. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression you couldn't SORN for short periods of time?

I've just left cars untaxed for a few days in that situation, then driven to MOT with no MOT, tax or SORN.  Not had any problems doing that but doesn't mean you won't lol.

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I was under the impression you couldn't SORN for short periods of time?

I've just left cars untaxed for a few days in that situation, then driven to MOT with no MOT, tax or SORN.  Not had any problems doing that but doesn't mean you won't lol.

I've SORN'd it now, although the confirmation email says it won't be in force until the tax runs out, on the 31st Jul  (presumably midnight, but it doesn't actually state the time)

If I can get a MOT slot on Monday morning (they open at 7am), assuming the 8am slot was free, it could be SORN for as little as 9 hours, if i taxed it from my phone before I drove home.

A rather major disincentive for doing the old way is, I have to drive past Dorset's East Divisional HQ on the way to my testing station, where the traffic units with their in-car APNR are based:laugh:

• Like 1

As long as you are travelling directly to a pre-booked MOT and hold current insurance then you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

did it pass the test that's the real question ???