Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coolant reservoir boiling

minicheders33

Hi, ive got a mk6 zetec s, i noticed part of the drivers side wing was hot after running. I popped the bonnet and felt the coolant reservoir which was boiling hot. The temperature gage is normal and no indication to over heating. Ive checked the oil cap for any brown/grey crap for signs of a head gaskit gone but theres nothing. Not sure to why the coolant reservoir is getting so hot, any suggestions appreciated. 

The coolant should get hot. That's how it works.

Provided the car isn't overheating, then it's really nothing to be worried about

• Like 1

Around 90deg C is the usual coolant temp the ecu aims to keep the car at.

Anything over about 50-60 is too hot touch.

had the same problem with a mk1 fiesta . thought it was head gasket. after refitting was the same turned out to be the radiator blocked. back flushed it refit . fixed .

If the coolant bottle is not too hot to touch then there's something wrong.

On 29/07/2016 at 2:48 AM, minicheders33 said:

Not sure to why the coolant reservoir is getting so hot

My Focus coolant tank does not get boiling hot in normal running, just warm. It  has a fill hose at the bottom, and two vent hoses at the top. Looking at Fiesta tanks, they mostly seem similar.

I think frequently getting hot enough to notice outside the car could be due to:

A partial radiator blockage (as Richard suggests), which will tend to force coolant back to the tank via the radiator vent hose. This would show up on a motorway run, with higher than normal engine temp.

Or to too much coolant (above max mark), which will remove the air gap between the vent hoses and the coolant, and allow continuous circulation through the tank.

If the tank is still clear enough, you may see coolant coming out of the vent pipes on revving the engine.

If m/way driving does not give any overheating, and coolant level is ok, then it may just be normal for your car, and can be ignored, as Sean & Bob say.

• 4 years later...

Ford ikon coolant booking n overflowing

Replaced new gasket 

Replaced water pump 

Again same it's boiling from. Coolant plz help 

Hi anyone plz help 

I own. Ford Ikon nxt 2005 model 

Sudddenly boiling from coolant ,and overflowing 

Mecanic updated to replace some parts 

Head gasket 

Head bend 

Water pump