Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong oil?

jtalep

I've just had my 1.0 Ecoboost serviced - they used 0w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-20, will it make a difference?If so what?

3 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Ford do the service ?

Nope, ATS - all my local Fraud garages wanted silly money.

10 minutes ago, jtalep said:

Nope, ATS - all my local Fraud garages wanted silly money.

Now you see Ford do want more money but rest assured they will do the job correctly and you'll have peace of mind that it's quality oil put back in.

5w20 is the correct oil for that engine, no idea about  0w-30 oil though :unsure: Have you asked ATS why they put that oil in ?

0w-30 is for the diesels...

I'd get it flushed and changed ASAP, it will technically have voided your warranty on the engine if it has been run.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Now you see Ford do want more money but rest assured they will do the job correctly and you'll have peace of mind that it's quality oil put back in.

5w20 is the correct oil for that engine, no idea about  0w-30 oil though :unsure: Have you asked ATS why they put that oil in ?

ATS use Shell oil, so what they've used is good quality and it's difficult to justify Ford wanting nearly £80 more for essentially changing the oil and the oil filter.

But you're right, I'm going to ask ATS why they've not used the recommended oil.

Surely the wrong oil can cause serious damage to the engine!

Won't the warranty be void now anyway seeing it hasn't been serviced at Ford?

• Like 1

You can have it serviced by a non Ford dealer, however everything that needs changing as per the schedule must be changed and any replacement parts or fluids must meet Ford's specification.

So the warranty will not be void by having ATS carry out the service, but having the wrong oil will void it.

1 minute ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Surely the wrong oil can cause serious damage to the engine!

Won't the warranty be void now anyway seeing it hasn't been serviced at Ford?

All is fine, they put the wrong oil on the receipt.

And no, the warranty is perfectly fine - doesn't have to be serviced by Ford as long as it meets their requirements.

4 minutes ago, jtalep said:

All is fine, they put the wrong oil on the receipt.

And no, the warranty is perfectly fine - doesn't have to be serviced by Ford as long as it meets their requirements.

I'd ask them for an amended receipt.

Just so Ford can't argue if they ask for proof in future.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

0w-30 is for the diesels...

I'd get it flushed and changed ASAP, it will technically have voided your warranty on the engine if it has been run.

For diesels :wacko:.....Christ sake whats ATS doing putting that in a petrol car anyway :whistling1:

It's like my mate years ago who had a brand new Fiat Cinquecento turbo and he changed the oil in his car himself after just 6 months and he banged in cheap oil from Wilko's, £1.99p a gallon crap if I remember rightly..... then the engine & turbo went down after a week of thrashing, of course it was still under warranty and Fiat took the car in for repairs, he got a phone call from Fiat asking him if he's changed the oil and of course the prat said YES, the dealership then said sorry the warranty is void as you've tampered with the vehicle, he ended up footing the bill to have his car repaired.

I shook my head at him and said..... ''Told you not to mess about with the car just to save yourself a few quid''

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I'd ask them for an amended receipt.

Just so Ford can't argue if they ask for proof in future.

Good idea, have done - they're posting it out.

Happy with ATS - the 2 guys I spoke to were cheerful and friendly and the price for what they offer is very competitive.

Of course the oil was only the wrong type on the receipt :lol:

• Like 4

Manufacturers can have the oil analysed and will know if it's the wrong type.

Assuming the car suffers an early life failure of course.

The big deal with the Ecoboost is the cambelt, it runs in the engine oils, so the oil MUST be the right spec.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

As with any garage you use, be it a main dealer or the local independent. Trust is everything.

you don't know what oil was put in basically, receipt right or wrong, they could have told you the receipt was wrong just to shut you up. its got to be 5w 20 to fords specs due partially to the variable pressure oil pump used.

• Like 2

Shell variant should be Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-20.

also as you used ats, have ats checked for any outstanding field service actions or recalls relevant to your car? nope? probably is at least one due to you having a powerrshift transmission.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

shell variant should be Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-20.

also as you used ats, have ats checked for any outstanding field service actions or recalls relevant to your car? nope? probably is at least one due to you having a powerrshift transmission.

Without knowing which oil it is it may be worth checking and/or replacing it to be sure.

As for recalls/ field service actions, Ford never told me about it. I found out about the TCM online and then mentioned it to them before they acknowledged it, although that could just be my dealer's way of doing things besides that though they've been great.

deakers should print off a oasis sheet with every car booked in on the day of arrival which will show any outstanding actions, these actions if at all possible ( subject to any required parts) should be carried out at the same visit. 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

deakers should print off a oasis sheet with every car booked in on the day of arrival which will show any outstanding actions, these actions if at all possible ( subject to any required parts) should be carried out at the same visit. 

Is this if a specific appointment is booked or does it apply to a service too? 

applys to any ford booked in for any work , regardless of service , repair, mot, anything . it is subject to parts supply/ ordering/ availalble time to do job. but it shouldnt be left to you to tell them.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club